• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Maule in Washington -- Looks Like a Good Project

Darrel Starr

Plymouth, MN
Vivian and I were driving along on the Lewis & Clark scenic drive near Huntsville north of Walla Walla, WA, when we passed a small private airport (Touchet Valley) and couldn't resist photographing this old Maule -- somewhere out there someone ought to buy it and return it to it's former glory.
Here is the FAA record:
Aircraft Description
Serial Number 2079C Type Registration Individual
Manufacturer Name MAULE Certificate Issue Date 11/01/1975
Model M-4-220C Status Valid
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating
Pending Number Change None Dealer No
Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code 51135074
MFR Year 1971 Fractional Owner NO
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Registered Owner
Name THORN WILFRED ERIC
Street BOX 207
City DAYTON State WASHINGTON
County COLUMBIA Zip Code 99328
Country UNITED STATES
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Airworthiness
Engine Manufacturer FRANKLIN Classification Standard
Engine Model 6A-350SER Category None
A/W Date None
There, I've Done my good deed for the day -- or gotten some guy into what may be a heap of trouble. If one of you guys runs off and buys it, please keep us posted.
Darrel
P1100910.JPG

P1100911.JPG

P1100913.JPG

P1100914.JPG

P1100915.JPG

P1100916.JPG

P1100918.JPG

P1100912.JPG

P1100917.JPG

What-da-ya-think, Agpilot ????maybe a little of that spendy paint ??? should be good to go !!!!! :D

In the mid 1970s, three of us were going to replace our Stinson. Candidates included that model Maule with the Continental 220 HP, a Cessna 180, and a Mooney.

We compromised and got one of each! Hands down the 180 won for capability. Mooney was way out in front for speed and economy. Maule was a distant third - and I mean distant. It flew fine, had no trouble with directional control, burned a lot of gas in one spot, and was cramped inside.

If you really want a Maule, compromise and get a good 160 Super Cub.

Opinion.

All it need's is a 40 thousand dollar rebuild. Somebody doesn't love their airplane anymore.

I have had Maule aircraft for over 13 years and I find your statement about the Maule completely off base from my own experience with them. It seems strange to me to call them cramped (comparing them to a Super Cub or Mooney). They are not as roomy as a Cessna 180 but they go as fast on the same fuel and are much less to fix if you break them. They will also take a lot more punishment in the off airport environment. O.k., I know this is a Cub site but come on, bring it on! I will Haul more and go anywhere you can take your Super Cub with Bushwacker....

Greg

Yeah, sounds like an excellent project for someone...
But THEN what are ya gonna do with it?? :)

W/all due respect to Maule drivers, I understane they're fine on wheels @ sea level. Up high (here) &/or on floats, whole 'nuther matter.

I just got back from Nimpo, Turner, Marys, Ape etc., I got to see what a highly modified cub on straight floats can do (Doug Kellers) and it was very impressive. I also got to see a Stinson with a O-470 on straights and was not impressed at all. According to the guy with the Stinson he went places a Cessna 180 could never go around there. I can not comment from personal experience of Maules with floats (no time in aircraft on floats) how much time do you have with a Maule on floats? On the other hand, I will pack all your gear in my airplane with my own gear and go anywhere you will go on wheels, lets see you do that.

Greg

Greg-

You crack me up!! Yes this is a cub outfit for sure, us Maule drivers are a mis-understood lot. The Maule is the red headed step child of the aviation community..... I smile deeply inside when they walk by my camp and say "Man I need a tent like that....." :lol:

Hi Greg,
Sorry you didn't stop in for BS & refreshments while you were here. (plenty of both) Sure didn't mean to yank your gonch! :)

My time "with" a Maule was flying (showing) him around. He took more lake than a C185 to break water, so I wasn't impressed with that. It seems to be another go fast kind'a airplane... I was advised that on wheels (high AOA) it takes off great, but when on floats (more level AOA) it has much less lift so doesn't lift off as quick. That's OK of course.

None of the Cub family is famous for hauling lots'a weight. Whole different mission.
I have all of you guys' DVDs so I see what your high-modded Maule does!
See ya @ the BCFP bash this July. (??)

I woke up to rain again today and was feeling quite pissy, trying to do cedar shake siding in the rain sucks. I should have kept my mouth shut but I have to defend the Maule every once in a while because it has been a great airplane for me and my family.

P.S. we spent the first night and last night at Wilderness Rim.

Greg

Nimpo,

I've got a few hundred hours in Maules on floats, three different "flavors" of floats and a couple different models of floats.

If that Maule was taking that long to get airborne, I'd bet one of three things:

1) Massive overload in cabin
2) One or more floats full of water

Or, most likely:
3) The problem was located between the earphones.

Maules aren't my all time favorite airplane for several reasons, but one thing they are NOT is poor performers. In fact, they do VERY well on floats or wheels.

MTV

The Maule is a nice flying plane, but it can't compare to the C180, just compare resale prices. The biggest problem with that particular one is the worthless Franklin in it.

Greg, did'ja meet Brian Reid? I bought my (ratty/timed out) Cub from him. He just bought a Beaver from somebody in Campbell River who bought it NEW in the 60's! Next time stay @ the GOOD end of the lake! :)

Mike,
1- possible
2- possible
3- AHA! That could've been it. He's the same guy who landed & step-taxied right up onto the opposite shore. Had to truck his plane home, after an all day rescue mission. Nice guy, but...

Greg & I did meet Brian. Are you related in anyway to Mary, the owner of Mary's cabin on Wilderness lake? What a great little cabin, we spent one night there.

Doug Keller

skipster said:
The Maule is a nice flying plane, but it can't compare to the C180, just compare resale prices. The biggest problem with that particular one is the worthless Franklin in it.

Ha! Have you compaired? Try to compair recent prices over the last few years and compair the difference in price now and then and the percentage of difference and the 180 don't look that great. They are both great planes but it all depends on what you like.

ksecub said:
Are you related in anyway to Mary, the owner of Mary's cabin on Wilderness lake?

Yep, that's "my" Mary. Pioneer Log Homes built it for her (Brian Reid Jr & Sr) and if you go to www.pioneerloghomesofbc.com and click on "special projects" you'll see some of the building/history of it. A trip to their website is an experience in itself. Incredible craftsmanship! They built our logwork here.

Mauleguy said:
I will pack all your gear in my airplane with my own gear and go anywhere you will go on wheels, lets see you do that.

Greg

Flying in Moose camp on the 8th or 9th, weather permitting. Come on up with your maule, but you might want to buy insurance prior to trying the above :wink:

That said, a good Maule Driver will make an ok cub driver look silly. But a maule will NOT, again: NOT go where a cub can go with equal pilots.

But man are they nice when you want to carry more than a light spike camp!

Now George... Let's not start a Maule Debate :agrue:

They are a wonderful airplane, just not as wonderful as a CUB :wink:

Well, how about a Maule that turns into a cub when it slows down? 8)

FYI, the good part of the season is that the cub is reuseable... but me and the dog are healing :crazyeyes:

I never had a doubt that the cub would survive, what did you do to the dog? 8)

George

Hope the dog makes a full recovery, you too. Hunted the Toklat last week, way too hot! But brought the plane back in one reusable piece so not a complete failure. Send me a PM and lets work on late season steelhead !

Welcome back George! Where the H have ya been? Mary asked after ya the other day & I said he's missing in action somewhere. What'll I tell her now? :)
Airplane is 100% done except for the cabin heat muff, just got it the other day. Lookin' @ caribou today & I missed it! We got about 4" of snow above 4500'.

aktwango said:
the cub is reuseable... but me and the dog are healing

So when ya get a minute, ya gott'a tell us the whole story. Enhanced is OK, but don't leave us hanging with these 'hints'.
Good to see ya back, have a full report on our desk in the morn!

Will a Maule handle a downwind turn better than a Cub??
[ducking/running]

Yea, yea, Maules this and that. One thing I will give 'em, the last couple of years at Valdez theres a couple of 'em that have flown in a hell of a camp and spread including a cast iron patio table! :eek: :drinking:
They are no Cub but then they are no 180 either. The Toyota truck of airplanes I suppose. The fit and finish of a farm truck perhaps. But, can work its ass off with the right pilot.
I'd argue the loss of value too. I'd have to say it's proportionate. I've heard that repairs can be a lot cheaper, er, less expensive.... :oops:
Beauty of course is in the eye of the beholder so don't be critical of my dog either. :wink:

Back