• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

LED Strobe/ Position Lights

Flew a Beech 18 with factory flashing position lights, owned a 61’ 182 with the same factory flashing nav lights.
Not sure why they’d be illegal.

about 10+ years ago, when I bought my first 180, I had a bulb go out and I installed them.. nice bright bulbs but the strobe feature is/was useless.

Nav lights are required at night and they shouldn't flash at night because they are required to be lit continuously.

What makes it illegal, or otherwise inappropriate, to flash red, green, or white nav lights during the day? It's ok to have them off and it's ok to have them on. If both states are ok then why would it not be ok to alternate between the two states?

Flashing navigation lights came about seven decades ago as a result of ALPA appealing to the CAA for their use as the very first form of anti collision lights. This device was simply a flashing unit installed in the nav light circuit. [No strobe lights were involved].

They are not illegal to use at night if they are still installed as long as the are selected on. There are no specifics in the regulation prohibiting flashing nav lights. The current regulation reads the same as the Civil Air Regulations that were extent when flashing navigation lights were common.

Last edited:
I installed nav strobes https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/el/strobes_navstrobe.html
when they first came available. I don't have a beacon or standard strobe, do little night flying anymore, and these do
get your attention on cloudy days vs. nav lights. At night they provide better even better visibility whether legal or not.
Turn on your nav lights........do a second off/on.....and they change from nav to the nav strobes.
Requires only a bulb, and maybe, lens change. 15 minute job.

Back