• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

landing light LED options

vj88

Anchorage, AK
Hello,

Though I do love changing the GE bulbs in the landing light I am interested in what cub guys are using in their factory wing light housing for LED's (experimental and certified types)

19 bucks for the GE bulb that I've heard lasts not much more than 50 hours and plan for 25

230-280 bucks for the LED certified type that have 5 year warranty and 10k hour life.

Thanks

For me, it is not the cost effectiveness calculation. It is the major PIA that changing the bulb represents. So I bought the Whelen unit.

Aero LED's in the stock housing provide amazing illumination, one could land in black hole if needed...

Last edited:
Most any of the LED's out there will be worth the dollars if you factor in the cost of replacing a lamp. Heat kills an incandescent lamp. LED's don't get hot, which is one reason they last for hundreds (maybe thousands) of hours. Even if you do the work yourself, how much down time are you wiling to put up with? And if you pay some one to change the lamp, how many times do you want to pay labor instead of paying once for parts/labor and being done with it for a LONG time?

I'm a fan of the Whelen lamps if you feel the need for 'certified'. Otherwise go to an automotive place and find out what the 4WD guys are running. If you want to look for the brightest lamp for a certain size and voltage, the lamp that uses the highest amperage will usually deliver the brightest light.

Web

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe a PMA is required for your landing lights, which leaves the door open to install any of the aftermarket LED lights in your planes, whether certificated or not. I don't recall seeing a PMA stamped on the GE bulbs I removed.

I am using the 125 watt equivalent AR111 series LED from SuperBrightLEDs.com. Any of the AR111 series lights are drop in replacement for the standard GE bulb used in most SuperCubs. One factor to consider is the beam angle of the LED lights. A wide beam angle makes for a less focused light, which may mean you won't see as far on landing. But a wider beam angle also means your landing lights will show up better from more divergent angles if they are used as recognition lights. I haven't noticed a lot of difference in visibility landing at night using the 125 Watt equivalent as a replacement for the 100W GE bulbs. However, people on the ground tell me the LED landing lights show up much better at a distance than the GE bulbs did. My Cub Clone is equipped with a single landing light in either wing that also get used on a wigwag as recognition lights in the pattern.

-Cub Builder

Rigid Industries makes GREAT stuff for the PAR36 size. I have a Spot and a Flood Unit in an experimental-ish thing I wont talk about cause its not really experimental....but the lights are awesome.

IMG_20150718_235808723.jpgwe use the Grote 63821 led light $107. these are PAR 36 and mount just like the ge. You don't have to have a bullshit stc'd light to put on your plane.

Attachments

• IMG_20150718_235808723.jpg
    IMG_20150718_235808723.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 423
If you like your IA? Ask him what to use. It's his signature in your logs. I like my IA. My Cessna has Whelens. My exp Cub will probably have a small light bar.

Last edited:
I just put 2 Whelen ParmetheusPlus replacements in my 180 cuz' I dont wanna have to change GE's early and often and I LOVE my IA

I have owned both Whelen and AERO certified LED landing lights.
AERO are hands down brighter of the two.
I also like the pulse feature available in the AERO. Mine are on 100% of the time for collision avoidance.

I live in the south so an STC is required. Maybe not by the first guy to sign it off but eventually they get you down here.

Not to argue but show me where it says my landing and taxi light has to be STC'd . Our GE lights were not and are not STC'd . lOOK at CAR 3.698/699
[h=3]U.S. Code of Federal Regulations[/h]Regulations most recently checked for updates: Nov 26, 2016
All TitlesTitle 14Chapter IPart 23Subpart F - Equipment
View all text of Subpart F [§ 23.1301 - § 23.1461]

§ 23.1383 - Taxi and landing lights. Each taxi and landing light must be designed and installed so that:
(a) No dangerous glare is visible to the pilots.
(b) The pilot is not seriously affected by halation.
(c) It provides enough light for night operations.
(d) It does not cause a fire hazard in any configuration.
[Doc. No. 27806, 61 FR 5169, Feb. 9, 1996]

Last edited:
My airplane was recovered with no lights in either wing. This is the option I chose, Vision X Optimus mated to a Max Pulse controller. Rotate the provided bracket 180 degrees on the light, file a small groove in it for the wire and they fit on the cabane bolts like they are made for the airplane. Very secure. Available in 10, 20 and 40 degree beam options, Vision X claims 600 feet of useful light with the 10 degree fixture. A little heavy at 2 1/4 lbs a piece or so, must be a big coil in them. .8 amp draw. Minor alteration according to my IA.

Attachments

• P1010014.jpeg
    P1010014.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 1,563
Last edited:
Not to argue but show me where it says my landing and taxi light has to be STC'd . Our GE lights were not and are not STC'd . lOOK at CAR 3.698/699

I am no IA nor did I spend the night at a motel 6. I do have an airframe logbook with three IAs who all disagreed on what is a legal install for LED lights on a certified plane. All this happened before I owned the plane so I don't know the backstory beyond the logbook scratches. IA 1 installed without an STC. IA 2 did not like the install without paperwork so he called the plane unairworthy. IA three rewired it and got the 337 filled out and mailed in. On my watch my friend (and IA) did not like the physical wiring work of the installation so he rewired it. My guess is the previous owner of my plane had a bad few days sorting this out.

I have owned both Whelen and AERO certified LED landing lights.
AERO are hands down brighter of the two.
I also like the pulse feature available in the AERO. Mine are on 100% of the time for collision avoidance.

I live in the south so an STC is required. Maybe not by the first guy to sign it off but eventually they get you down here.

parmetheusPLUS by Whelen are 40% brighter than "Parmetheus". I hope I did not just spend a buncha money and not get the best I can. Woe is me!

Is there any stc for adding landing lights to a PA-12 on the gear. Mine didn't have a landing light and I didn't ad one during rebuild.

FAA approved landing and taxi lights aren't as effective for forward recognition as perhaps they should be. The limitations of FAA requirements compromise recognition safety in this case.

Here's an interesting option for forward facing recognition lights. These have LEDs facing forward and either two or three additional LEDs facing diagonally out each side. That should be pretty effective at covering the angles for traffic coming at you. http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting?f[0]=field_product_family:5574

This light bar has spots in the center and floods on the side rows. Also an interesting option. http://www.roughcountry.com/12-inch-led-light-bar-70912.html

Is there any stc for adding landing lights to a PA-12 on the gear. Mine didn't have a landing light and I didn't ad one during rebuild.

Look in the parts book. You should find the parts you need. As far as I have seen, all the Piper land/taxi light set ups were about the same (two in the wing). And you don't need an stc to put them on, just a log entry.

Web

Hey Stewart,

I noticed in your link language about cooling fins in the bar lights.
I thought led lights didn't produce heat.

LED's defiantly produce heat and the efficiency is directly related but they're way better than incandescent regarding heat to candela. I'm playing with some 100w Cree COB's (Chip On Board) right now and they not only need a heat sink for the LED to survive but they're so bright if you hold your hand a foot in front of one it's going to cook you like a hotdog. That's without a focusing lens, just the bare COB running 40v and 3 amps. There's all sorts of YouTube videos of guys making flashlights from cheap 100w COBs that blow car headlights away, no comparison. Most of those are using fan cooled pc heat sinks.

LED heat production is less than incandescent equivalents, but LED circuitry is very sensitive to heat so they usually have fins to help dissapate the heat. That is how they make them last so long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have seen a pia on a cabana v. Looks heavy but throws a lot of light and probably not too much drag. The distance between the wig and wag in the wing and gear catches the eye.

IMG_1631.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_1631.jpg
    IMG_1631.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 255
FWIW a buddy of mine has a fancy wig-wag gizmo in his airplane, and he can set it to flash both landing lights (mounted next to each other) together. Very bright, can see it for a long ways off.

Landing lights pointed forward are much easier to see than even strobes imo. Pulsing is the best.

Fish spotters up here have had mid-airs on the grounds, so some creative guys used every kind of running light, fog light and landing light you can think of for visibility. They helped.

Guys had lights on the main gear legs, cabane v, lift struts and anywhere else. Some used auto blinkers to make them pulse. Those could be seen!

Watched the FAA try to pull the 'not legal' card a couple of times, but the issue of safety won that discussion.

"Cabana v"dang auto correct fixed it twice and it still knows better than me...
I see that Black Oak makes a 10" curved double row led bar that throws 11000 raw lumens in a wide spot pattern.
I wonder if one would fit in one of the double landing light/taxi light wing lense covers, and how much heat it would put into the plastic leading edge lense cover?

Rigid and other manufacturers make straight 10" bars and they seem to weigh in around 6 lbs. I don't remember what a couple of par 36 bulbs and mounting hardware weighs.

Converted my Cub to Aero-LED a couple of years ago. Very nice for recognition, superior for range, life and amperage, but to my eyes the color makes dormant grass look like it's covered with snow and the taxi light doesn't seem to put as much light on the ground. I like to leave the lights on all the time so for me it came down to lifespan and hassle of changing, the LEDs remain.

During a major avionics upgrade last year I started to put LEDs in the 185. Since I wasn't completely satisfied I did some more research and decided on the LoPresti Boom Beam HID lights. HID doesn't have quite the life of LED but still claims 2,000 hrs. The price and weight difference isn't a deal breaker if you fly at night often, though admittedly I'm a fanatic about lighting.

$700 for LEDs is ludicrous, but once your on that train $1,200 for HID somehow seems palatable. I believe if you are serious about single engine night ops you'll be glad you spent the extra $$$$. I cannot recommend them highly enough, best of both worlds, better penetration than LED, more useable color temp than even GE. FOR MY EYES they are superior in every way. I don't remember the specs but recall they are low amperage so they're probably good for guys running light weight alternators. Friends can identify me from greater than 10 miles and know it's me even if they don't know I'm out flying, they are that much brighter.

If the goal is better daytime recognition the non-certified LEDs are probably the best value, just be aware of the noise that can be introduced into your headset from any of the options. HID wins here too, AERO=very minor noise full time when on, HID=minor noise when first turned on but disappears completely within 10 seconds. Like most things, let the mission dictate the solution, hope this helps a little.

Back