• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

If Money Were Not An Object, I Would Buy A....

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Ok, let's say you won the lottery. Never mind that like me, you don't even buy tickets, but just pretend for a minute that you have enough money to purchase any Super Cub you wanted.

I know, I know, you might buy a Beaver, or Citation, or something like that, but in this little scenario, you must purchase a Super Cub. What would you buy?

1. A brand spanking new Top Cub from CC

2. A rebuilt Supercub by some other builder

3. An older model cub with all the mods

4. An older model and do the mods yourself (or pay to have them done)

5. Some other option I have not thought of?

(Yes, Flagold, I know that I had not thought of a Husky either... :wink: )

sj

:lol: #5. Brandnew experimental supercub. Built in my shop with lots of experienced help so that its completed ASAP.

Send a check with alot of zeros to Charlie Centers and tell him to call me when he's done with my new 12.

Scott.

I get the picture, SJ. Since you now have Dana on the payroll of this website, you can now afford a new SuperCub. Sneaky devil. :evil:

murph

Be Generous, and buy PA12driver a "Crash' built 180hp work of art"!! Am I not right Murph?

oh yeh, please paint it red- I will have Cody check me out in it, that is if he has time from his job delivering beer in the Stretched Caravan?

Tim

I'd build the 12 I'm building now. Nothing more, nothing less. I guess that fits #4 better than the others.
SB

If I had the money first thing I would do is find a shop that has lots and lots of experiance in rebuilding cubs that would be willing to take my rebuild on. I would perfer a small or one man shop with a good work ethic and reputation of putting out quality work. I would want to see some of there work and talk to folks that have had dealings with the shop. I would take great interest in helping when ever I could mainly running down parts and being around to help with the dirty work. You learn alot about your plane and I think a builder would like the fact a owner shows interest (as long as you didn't pester him to much). Then I would find me a run out cub that could be built into what I wanted. I would also start considering what mods I want and make a list of them ASAP and update that list untill the plane goes into the shop. I have been keeping my eye on a couple of rebuilds and have been updating a list of mods for my next cub, mods go on and off the list as I see them installed on the planes. I feel it is important to know what you want before you start your rebuild your builder will thank you for this.

Cub_Driver

Murph,

Actually, Dana went off the payroll of her big time consulting job and she is now relying on donations from super cub pilots to pay her way.

I am selling my C170, and am looking at both C180's and newer Super Cubs (newer than 1953 that is) but have to figure out my mission first.

You don't see many "used" Top Cubs out there, and there is no NAAA valuation of them, etc., for determining value. From everyone I have met that has them, these are great airplanes. Is there something I am missing?

sj

Well, seeings how I don?t have to work any more and have to do something with my days, I think I?d get the airframe and wings from a vender and build it myself around a data plate, in my very-cherry shop, that sits beside my private airstrip, that?s next to my lake? you know? the lake that I had them install on my ranch.

I'd have to spend some the money getting my own A&P ticket, then work with the best "real" mechanics I could find to finish up the PA-12 project that I have in the garage already -- maybe truck the whole mess to Charly's. I would love to know every last nut and bolt and the reason it is there -- plus have a first-class working machine!

Steve

In two weeks you can get some time in "Charlie Cat".

Try it......YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!!!!!

Paul

Paul,

I'm ready! You may have to take Dana for a ride to see how she likes the cushy comfort of CC seats over the stock pipers...

My biggest concern on the newer cubs is headroom. My old 53' was a CAP trainer and they wore parachutes that they sat on, so the seats are about 3" lower. I bonk my head in some super cubs, and there is not much up there already, so too much head bonking and, well, you get the idea.... I might then be inclined to start barbie.org or blondes.org, or get tattoo's on my face or something..

sj

Steve

I have the Oregon Aero, tall pilot model seats. This lets the pilot sit a little lower in the front seat. I also wear a flight helmet with the ANR system. The system seems as good or better than the Bose headset and protects my head.

Paul

The guy that built my plane is tall, too, so he cut down the seat frame a little. 'Course, that made me sit low, but the regular Oregon Aero seats helped a lot.

I'd like to have a "real" data plate so the value of my plane goes up and insurance would be easier to get, but I'd still like to work on it like I do now, and not bother with STCs and regulatory stuff. That's the only thing I would change about my plane, so if I won the lottery (I do buy tickets occassionally), I would buy a float plane and a nice place up north on a lake. Skis, too, for the winter.

Anne.

Steve, The best cub to start with "if" you are going to rebuild it is one that you tear the cover off of! You can't tell much with the rag on! Some of the CC cubs are a good value, just beware as "Jim and Nathan have said" that some of their earlier cubs that are now being 'resold' were cubs that guys brought in and wanted this and that added, and now they are being "advertised" as "CC top cubs". Just cause CC worked on them don't make them a "great value". Just like it don't make it a great supercub just cause it has "all the AK mods". Many are just heavy, pigs.

Look for a good plane that has "complete logs" one that has not been a sprayer, and spent its life in dry country free from salt air and if possible never on floats.

If I were rebuiding one, I would look for one that had little to no mods, stock gear, and did not have "grabby tires". you then may have found a cub that was in basically good shape?

Have a Cub mechanic look at it thoroughly, FLY IT and make a decision on that bases.

Tim

Oh my! If money were of no object which cub would I.....that's like asking which wet dream would I program in every night before going to sleep on the Holo-deck of the Enterprise :p .
I'd be on the phone to Cub Crafters and having them get the next one off the line set up with the seat the way I wanted it, on wheels, with straight floats, amphibs, VGs, and a custom back seat for the bird dog. While they finished that I'd get checked out in a SC, do some aerobatic training in a Citabria. Then I would sell the house, and have a hanger built at the airport with an apartment on top, with a nice view, all the amenities, and a kegerator in the corner.
By the time the hanger was done the plane should be ready. I'd pack my traveling bags, grab the dog and stop by work just briefly so we could both pinch a loaf on the boss's desk. After that I would be flying till I wore it out.

If "money were no object" I wouldn't care about insurance cost or resale value and I would build me the hottest and lightest SC I could in my airconditioned hanger, with my living quarters above, next to the lake so I could put on the floats whenever I wanted.

Ultimate Cub

I'd get a late model PA-18. Take it apart, sell off most of the parts but keep the data tag, logs and misc. small parts (must be in like new condition). Buy a new Airframes Inc. fuselage, tail feathers, doors, gear, struts etc.. New Dakota stock PA-18 wings, flaps, ailerons and 24 gallon tanks. A factory new O-360 and Penn Yan conversion. New but basic instrument package. All the light weight stuff. Covered in Ceconite 101 with dope finish and aerothant stripes....Got one like this that is almost ready to go. Can't wait.....Crash

Since in your scenario the lottery winnings are paying for the "new" plane, and I don't have to get rid of my PA-12, I'd probably look for a really nicely finished out older supercub without electric that had been completed with an eye to every ounce and a 160 hp engine.

If I weren't limited to PA-18's, I'd convert my PA-12 to 180 hp and long gear and buy a stock 108 hp PA-12 for cruising.

Ditto Crash.

Except you forgot the L-21 Glass. Having this I find it seemingly trivial but most necessary.

This is my dream indeed, and it's coming along very nicely! (The dream. The reality is a ways off...)

Andy

I'd buy a stock 150 hp with VG's. A brand new Top Cub would be nice, but as one pilot said, it just doesn't have the nostalgia. It may be foolish to pick historical but tired over newer and safer, but I love the classics and TLC can do wonders.

Kate

Back