• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Home of Noel Wein, Cook,MN, Down for reconstruction

Alaskajim

Just to let all you cubbers know that might use Cook Municipal (KCQM) that the airport is closed untill reconstruction of the runway is complete. Scheduled to be paved early October. Sorry about that, I'll get it back to you as soon as possible.

I've always wanted to work at this airport. Noel Wein, a pioneer alaskan aviator grew up very near here. I believe a much younger brother is still on the farm, but not sure.

I've met many, many pilots who are originally from Mn migrating to AK and flying for Noel back in the early days. Most of my AK pilot friends are migrants from Mn. I'd sure like to know why I migrated FROM Ak to Mn.

The one thing I don't like about it here is that there are no airplanes using the airport, and nothing nearby to rent. I need to buy my own supercub I guess.

Are there any Supercubbers in the area?

kcqm

Yes, I know that Cook is down for repair. I wish our Co. got the bid. I have a friend who purchased a Cardinal RG and is likely going to be building a hangar at Cook. There are a half a dozen or more Cubs in Hibbing, Side Lake, Bear River, Eveleth. You should try to make the Fall Colors Tour.

Dave

Cook

Alaskajim - I live in Cook -Lake Vermilion actually. My folks own and live on part of the old Wien homestead. My grandfather grew up down the road from the Wien brothers and had lots of stories to tell about their ingenuity even as boys. Not many planes at the Cook airport because most of us around here go to floats in the summer, and most of the rest have private strips where they keep their planes. Lots of pilots and planes here but we just like to avoid big congested airports like CQM. Russ

Richard & Dave;

I sure hope to meet you guys sometime, hope you drop in. I'm the engineer on the project, ask for Jim if you can't find me.

KGM ended up with the project, they are just down the road here in Angora. They've been watching for this project to happen for a few years and made a big effort to get the bid. All we need now is a month of dry weather, there's some horrible clays on this project, rain will be bad for it.

I met Dave W. yesterday, they guy with the Cardinal RG. nice guy. The assistant airport manager has a beautiful J-3, andn I met a guy with a 180, Dale. Met a lot of nice people here in just one day.I'm looking for pilots who might need some instruction or a BFR so I can do some instructing and flying. Got no airplanes to rent here. Hope to do some fishing/hunting too. Maybe pick up a nusiance bear permit and let the air out of a bear.

You guys stop in sometime.

Alaskajim
There is a BBQ at the Eveleth Virginia Airport (KEVM) every Thursday evening if you are looking to meet some local pilots feel free to stop by. Food is good and plenty of hanger and actual flying. Starts about 4:30 and goes until dark.

62E

Hey that sounds good 62E, BBQ Thursdays at EVM, I'll try to check it out. Sounds like a good time.

Russ, I've only driven by the old Wein homestead, never talked to anybody. I try to imagine what it was like there in the 20's and 30's when Noel would land a jenny or some other crate out in the hayfield. Somebody in town here told me a younger bother of Noels took over the farm and still lives there, but thats not confirmed. You probably have read the book about Noel, it a great read.

You guys stop in sometime.

My Cub was parked at Cook all day last Tuesday as I was visiting my parents on Vermilion...I noticed the sign that the airport will be closed.

Hope to see you at the EVM BBQ or the fall color tour...

Ryan

wien

Alaskajim, there are no Wien's left in the area to my knowledge. The old farm is now in several pieces, and my folks own about 20 acres of it on the Little Fork river. I have read the book about Noel and enjoyed it. Like you mentioned in your first post, there are a bunch of guys from cook that have worked their way up to Alaska and are still there. Hoping to make it up there for a long visit some year myself.

Back