• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Gap sealing and tape

Fortysix12

RanchAero Grand Vista, Brooksville
Does anybody here know someone who makes the gap sealing strip that is seals the gap between the flap and trailing edge wing. Other than certified.

Also, I flew a Supercub that had a special clear tape that sealed the gap between the elevator and stab. The plane had great slow flight characteristics. Who makes it or what was it?

Has anybody experimented with reducing cooling drag by closing down the nose bowl openings- I want to go fast and slow.

A friend of mine that flew a Dash-8 gave me some 4inch wide clear tape he said they used on the prop. I put it on as a gap seal between the elevator and the stab as a trial, that was 10 years ago, and its still on there. As I remember it made a difference.
Tim

Bill AKA All around knowledge @ Alaska Bushwheel Has a source for the clear tape .I think it is for a Maule But works great on my exp cub.Mike O

The auto suppliers have a clear rock guard tape that I used. Worked great. Used 2" wide tape and took 2 pcs and reversed it and overlapped it 1" . Let me go from the top of the Stab to the bottom of the elevator.

You can get 3" wide clear tape at the motorhome and trailer supply stores----It's used for repairing awnings-- I use it and it works well--cost about $15. As for the gap seal on the elevators and flaps mine has heavy fabric held in place with small strips of aluminum and pop revits.

Dennis

While we are at it, how about some poly vinyl Piper Cub yellow tape for those inevitable small boo-boos? I have seen white tape that is simply ideal - the glider guys all use it. Model airplane types ought to be able to help us?

Seals

Hi FourtySix. What ever tape you put on the flaps, use some that comes off easy. And check it with and without. I think you will prefer it without. I was testing the seal tape on the flaps, ails and then flaps and ails. Then I thought I had removed all of the seals. The airplane fell off to one side repeatedly. I noticed that it was rolling towards the tape that I had left on. Bottom line it's better without. Jerry B.

Re: Seals

Jerry Burr said:
Hi FourtySix. What ever tape you put on the flaps, use some that comes off easy. And check it with and without. I think you will prefer it without. I was testing the seal tape on the flaps, ails and then flaps and ails. Then I thought I had removed all of the seals. The airplane fell off to one side repeatedly. I noticed that it was rolling towards the tape that I had left on. Bottom line it's better without. Jerry B.

How about the elevators are Rudder? Is it worth it?

It feels to me like I have more elevator authority with the tape on.

It's definitly worth the tape gap seal on the elevator. The 18 I flew with it would stand straight up till it ran out of gas with no wing dip. I was flight training at the time and we had to kick it into a power on stall spin. It did have Vg's as well but I liked the way it flew. Hence the thread. The airplane had the ability for a higher angle of attack or so it seemed. Increase safety and speed is my angle.

Years ago I remember doping surface tapes between the elevators and stabilizer on a Bellanca. There was an AD note requiring this to increase the elevator authority. I just tried to look up the AD but could not find it. I also narrowed the gap with a wooden fairing on a Stinson SR. I never flew the Stinson without it so can't verify any performance change. The gap was large without it.

Spruce read your mind. This came last night. How'd they kn

This came from Spruce last night. How'd they know? Must be a good marketing department. They were watching SC.Org.

=========================================
3M Polyurethane Protective Tapes couple an extremely tough and durable thermoplastic elastomer with an acrylic adhesive in a self adhering tape construction that can be quickly and easily applied to form a long lasting protective surface for your product and/ or equipment. Available in Clear and Black. For more information on these two 3M products, please click here.

Request a FREE sample of the PPT tape by clicking either 8672 or 8674 tape.

Up to 60% off the 36 yard roll price when purchasing the Aircraft Spruce exclusive 12 yard roll!

TAPE 8672
Size Color Part No. Price Buy
1" x 12yd Gloss Black 09-01636 $13.25
2" x 12yd Gloss Black 09-01637 $26.25
3" x 12yd Gloss Black 09-01638 $26.25
4" x 12yd Gloss Black 09-01635 $68.25

TAPE 8674
Size Color Part No. Price Buy
1" x 12yd Non-Yellowing Clear 09-01642 $16.75
2" x 12yd Non-Yellowing Clear 09-01643 $33.50
3" x 12yd Non-Yellowing Clear 09-01644 $49.75
4" x 12yd Non-Yellowing Clear 09-01645 $66.85

Aircraft Spruce WEST
225 Airport Circle
Corona, CA 92880
Tel: 951-372-9555
Fax: 951-372-0555 Aircraft Spruce EAST
452 Dividend Drive
Peachtree City, GA 30269
Tel: 770-487-2310
Fax: 770-487-2308 Aircraft Spruce CANADA
150 Aviation Ave.,
Brantford Municipal Airport Brantford, ON N3T 5L7
Tel: 519-759-5017
Fax: 519-759-8964

Yea Mike I got the same e-mail from Spruce-- your right great marketing and a good product.

Dennis

gap sealing and tape

I personally feel the elevator gap tape does about 90% of what the zero thrust mod does (poor man's zero thrust). But it may not meet the letter of the FAA law (it's temporary, though, not permanent, right?). I did stall tests, power on and off, at different weights, and saw a pretty dramatic difference with the tape, also, not to mention the solid feel at low speeds/high aoa similar to the zero thrust mod.
I'd be more careful messing with the rudder. I haven't experimented but would watch out for x-wind and slip situations.

I did a hard slip over some trees a while back and I noticed a vibration in the tail--- with the gap seal tap--- never noticed it without the tape anyone else have this happen??

Dennis

We took a single seat Taylorcraft and tested it before and after gap seals. The effect was dramatic, but only in a control response sense. I doubt that they had any effect on stall speed or spin capability, but the aircraft was only intended for serious aerobatics - it wasn't a short field airplane, although it lived on an 800' grass strip.

Are you guys doing both sides? just wondering I no you need to lube the hinges once in a while.

Ak
Most that I've seen--- including mine-- are on the top only-- no need to do both sides. If you put them on the bottom they will fill with mud, dirt, grass, whatever--make sure when you put it on that the elevator is all the way down---daaaa.

Dennis

Back