• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

fuel valve right left both

There are disadvantages to having a both on the fuel selector. Cross contamination of tanks, cross flow on sidehill, tank cross flow in the off position, and harder to calculate fuel when running on both. Just something to think about.
DENNY

I don't know of a STC to do what you are asking. You could always take your old valve and check to see if the hole was clear using a drill bit. If the bit happen to go a bit deeper in the valve you might have what you want.8)
DENNY

If you do end up drilling it, it can't be stressed enough to placard it the way it is drilled! Sound simple! There is more than one way to drill it! I know of one wreck for sure and a few fuel starvations that did not end up as wrecks because of placards that did not reflect the newly configured valve! I just drilled mine and after drilling I marked it with a Sharpie on the front and back to represent the new configuration!

I have the cub crafters valve with both. I still have my headers. There stc covers both with and without headers from what I remember.

I don't know of a STC to do what you are asking. You could always take your old valve and check to see if the hole was clear using a drill bit. If the bit happen to go a bit deeper in the valve you might have what you want.8)
DENNY

We purchased a shiny new valve Off-R-L-Both fro our experimental.. L-R-Both worked as one might expect however it tied the tanks together in the OFF position (just shutting of the flow to the carb).
Could easily see a surprise cross contamination or possibly fill the left when you go to bed.. to find they equalized during the night. We ended up purchasing a marine valve.. same construction but no surprises.

My C150/150TD has a simple on/off fuel selector, the only thing I see wrong with it is that it cross-feeds in the off position. Not that big a deal unless you park on a side-slope. I dip the tanks for total fuel quantity before flying & compute remaining fuel based on elapsed tach time @ 8.5 gph fuel burn. I've had several people explain their elaborate fuel-management schemes (burning left, then right, then left, etc) to me, but barring a leak or malfunction I've never seen the advantage over a simple on-off. Fuel remaining is fuel remaining IMHO-- if you're dumb enough or unlucky enough to run dry, you're gonna flame out.
The one advantage I could see to a left-right arrangement is if you have a high-compression engine & want to run (low octane) car gas in one tank for cruise flight, and 100LL in the other for takeoff & climb.

The problem I see with just on off is if you have fuel contamination in one tank you have it in both....I prefer left-right-off ........if your not managing your fuel no matter what valve you have......well we've all seen or heard of the result.

Last edited:
There is an STC for using a Maule fuel valve on a PA-18. This valve is about the same as a Piper valve but does not have the AD associated with it. It has a Left, Right, Both, and Off. The STC comes out of Willow, Ak., but I don't remember the holder's name. I used this valve on my cub, but I don't have header tanks.

Dakota Cub's fuel valve is STC'd and has a left, right and both position and is a direct reply event for the original. It also has the stops built into the valve so you don't have those bolts and bushings sticking out like on the Cub Crafter STC to meet the Far requirement to only get to the off position one way.

Back