• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuel sight gauges...

I agree with fadec. Most of the time electric gauges aren't very accurate unless you take the time to calibrate them yourself. If you lose electrical power, you have no gauges. I have replaced electric gauges on several newer cubs with some sort of sight gauge. Weld in a couple bungs or tubes and you're set. I'd use either dakota's or Atlee Dodges Gauges.

John

The bunges can be welded in but a lot of work to remove the tanks etc. FP5L fuel flow and totalizer gauge is really nice even with stock site gauges.

If i had a cub with electric gauges, id take them out, no doubt in my mind. No matter how accurate they are. Electricity and gas just dont mix. Look what our automotive engineers did. They finally got the fuel tanks on most vehicles inside the frame, now they went and mounted the fuel pumps on everything inside them. Now not only people cant change the fuel pump anymore themselves they have to have the mechanic either pull the pickup box off or pull the tank out itself. Always fun to mess with a tank of gas underneath a vehicle. Even a trouble light and gas dont mix. No not me, but. I just hate fire.

My Cub came with Electric fuel gauges.

I pulled the top fuel cover today to access the fuel tank, hoping to find 2 plugs where the sight gauges would go...Nothing. Has anyone encountered this? If so what did you do to get your sight gauges installed.
fadec, I'm not familiar with the "electric gauge" Cub tank. Is there a vent fitting near the top of the tank somewhere? If so, you could replace that fitting and the bottom rear outlet fitting with a "T". Then connect the two with a sight gauge. I don't know your relationship with the local FAA but that goes not sound too difficult.

There is no vent fitting at the top of the electric gauge tanks. You have to weld in tubes or bungs top and bottom.

John

Piper had the option for electric gages (piper parts book page 136) there is a vent for the rear header tank welded for the R/H tank
Steve C

Im glad yours work, mine don't, never have been reliable.

I just figured if I was going to put money into an unreliable system i would install a known reliable system, sight gauges.

You might consider buying new/used tanks with the sight vents in em. I've welded a new filler neck in, but wasn't very excited about it. There are extra considerations and cautions for fuel tanks.

I'm sure there's a market for your tanks too. Try here or barnstormers.

Ive loved fuel flow gauges on everything I fly, including the cub.

Where do I find the (cork?) seals for the sight glass? Anyone got a Vendor and or P/N? Thanks!

Univair has them, look on the very first page of the parts manual for the part numbers. You can use a sheet of cork and a gasket punch to make your own.

Univair has them, look on the very first page of the parts manual for the part numbers. You can use a sheet of cork and a gasket punch to make your own.

Thanks. Mine were squished up after the 60 odd years in the sight tube... what thickness cork and what size hole inside?

Do the balls sink after a while? I took mine apart today and was going to order balls for them, when I noticed they already had balls! Musta sunk at least 22 years ago....

Yes, the originals were cork and the finish breaks down and absorbs fuel. The new ones look like some sort of bright colored plastic. Did figure out the catalyzed polyurethane or epoxy varnish works to fuel proof cork floats in gas gauges.

I need to make the restrictor plugs for standard AN elbows on a cub sight gauge. Is there a standard aluminum rod size that I can make the plug from, and what size drill bit should be used to drill the little hole?

Clyde

My backcountry cub sight gages are longer than the distance between the two tank takeoffs.How can a producer make such errors?Guess in this case one can only put in a plastic tube and make excuses for the airframe manufacturer.

My backcountry cub sight gages are longer than the distance between the two tank takeoffs.How can a producer make such errors?Guess in this case one can only put in a plastic tube and make excuses for the airframe manufacturer.
ron, This is what I did to solve that problem on my Backcountry cub.
SMITHCUBPetes040.jpg

They came in my experimental is the best reason I have. vbg
These 11 gallon Wag Aero tanks did not have provisions for sight gauges _I don't think.

A warning regarding the little floating balls in your tubing. If you just curve the plastic tubing into the outlets at the top and bottom, make sure it doesn't change its shape as it curves. It can flatten in the middle of the curve and trap the ball. Then it can look like you have fuel when the fuel has actually left the ball. This, in combination with not dipping the tanks could result in your taking off with less fuel than you think. I found this out the hard way. A better set-up would be to use fittings to make the 90* turns at the top and bottom like some I've seen.

With flexible tubing I see no need for the ball I have no trouble seeing the fuel level in mine.

With flexible tubing I see no need for the ball I have no trouble seeing the fuel level in mine.
I agree. You might want to experiment with a different colored background than what I used for improved visibility.

Somewhere I saw a black and white striped background and for some reason that really made the fuel level stand out.

Mine are yellowing and ready for replacement but you can still easily see the fuel level....new fuel level placards are being made.

Attachments

• DSCN0698.jpg
    DSCN0698.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 205
Back