• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Floats

Bill Ingerson

Snohomish Washington
I have a question on Floats. Im going to rebuild a cub soon, and a friend of mine has a set of Edo 2000 floats that he removed from his SuperCub. I live in Washington State and Im curious if its worth buying and installing the floats here, would a person find enough water to use them? I hear that high land lakes are all considered wilderness areas and you cant land on them? My friend wants $9000. for good floats, Im thinking of buying them but having second thoughts. Any ideas on this ?

Bill,

Western Washington has one of the most active seaplane communities outside Alaska and Florida. The Washington Seaplane Pilots Association is very active, and there are a lot of places to go with a seaplane in Western Washington.

Get in touch with the WSPA. I'm sure they can help you out. Also, give a visit to Kenmore Air Harbor. They fly all over the area, and should be a good resource for information.

MTV

Thanks MTV for the ideas, I will go to Kenmore Air harbor and talk to them, might as well try out there CubCrafters 180 while Im at it.

Bill

Bill,

Kenmore is a great place to visit and to fly with. Also take a look at www.seaplanes.org the web site for the national Seaplane Pilots Assn.

There have been some battles recently over proposed closure of some of the alpine lakes in northern Washington, and I believe that SPA has a lot of that information on their website.

Float flying is a lot of fun.

I'm not really in the market nowadays, but $9K for a GOOD set of 2000's seems pretty reasonable.

Best of luck, and enjoy your flight with Kenmore.

MTV

9K for a good set of Edos with mountings is a GOOD deal.

Come up to next spring or summer Alaska and I will give you a float rating. I will show you some pretty cool lakes up here.

Or you can buzz over to Couer D' Alne Idaho and see Mike Kincaid. He runs Mountain Lakes Seaplane. There are lots of lakes to visit over there.

www.dragonflyaero.com

Investigate the availability and expense of parking, and ask your insurance agent what floats will do to your premiums. You may change your mind.

SB

Yes, it is true that the insurance for a float equipped cub is lots more. Tie down spots are a big pain in the butt and taking them off floats in the winter is another big pain.

Just like the insurance for a tail wheel is more than a tric gear, and a Super Cub cost way more than a Cessna 150. Both are more dangerous and more expensive than sitting in your basement with a flight sim computer game. It all depends on what turns your prop....

Thanks for the good ideas you guys on buying and owning floats. I did go to Kenmore Air Harbor and talked with one of the guys there. They seem to feel that there are lots of lakes to land on, how ever some are about to be shut down as the Gov. is trying to stop float planes from landing on the high land lakes as well as all of the SanJaun Islands salt water areas from what I read. The Exception would be air taxi to and from in the SanJaun Island area. Things I found out today, Kenmore airharbor bought out the Edo Float company and they make them at Kenmore and repair them there. They gave me a tour and showed some of them under construction, I will check into that and see if thats true. Im going back to Kenmore to find out everything I can on the care of floats ect. and will post everything I can find out about that with some pictures of the floats being made. Im just now learning about floats myself, so I will pass on what ever I can learn.

Float Planes

The fight for float plane regulations on the SanJaun Island areas are posted from the year 2000 and still pending is the work of the SanJuan County in Washington State. The High land lake areas being looked at also posted from the year 2000 to establish the new "Wild Sky Wilderness area" is being pushed by Senator Patty Murry, and Maria Cantwell as well as Congressman Rick Larson and Jennifer Dunn. If you want to read more about this log on to Sea Plane Pilots Association, then click on to Advocacy overview and scroll down to Regulatory briefs and Comments. Look at Lake Isabel and SanJuan Islands Washington. Im sure this fight goes on all the time for turf. Just hoping that by the time I rebuild my plane and put floats on, I can land it somewhere.

Buy those floats. If you don't, one day you will kick yourself in the azz for not doing it. It is one of the great joys in life to fly a Super Cub on floats. You get the floats. You get the Super Man Cape to go with them. :D

pond.jpg

Back