• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

First mods that count...

Marc Olson

GONE WEST
Seattle, WA
A quick report on a couple of relatively routine modifications that were done this past week to my -12 during annual.

First was the installation of a climb prop, McCauley 82/41 that I purchased through Dan's in Anchorage. I had it checked before shipping, it came with bolts, STC and log. It was with much anticipation that I taxied from the shop ramp to the runway for the first flight. With Mikey watching from the sidelines in his truck, I fed in power as I usually do and noticed no hesitation from the engine and a much quicker tail-up attitude. Anticlimatic (or a duh!) for those who've been flying a climb prop, but I was glad to see a difference before even breaking ground. Once airborne I was able to climb like I'd never in this plane. Crazy deck angle and still a solid 55 mph on the IAS. Instead of the more typical 700 fpm on the VSI I saw 1500 indicated with 2550 showing on the tach. Time to have the old prop checked to see how out of whack it was, but my concerns about engine health have been reduced by having a prop better matched to the capabilities of the plane and engine.

Limited flight testing showed reduced takeoff roll and a consistently higher climb rate at reduced RPM. Cruise speed impact will have to wait for further flight testing with the GPS.

The other change was to swap in a Lamar lightweight starter. I'd specified a Sky-Tech, but research showed that it would take significant oil-cooler bracket work to make it fit. My 'old' starter would often refuse to turn a single blade without complaining and/or drawing down the battery. Of course, my mechanic would never experience that behavior, but I was ready for a rebuild or replace. They found the Lamar/Precision that would fit within my current install, and tonight, after four starts with consistent (instead of unpredictable) performance, I'm a happy pilot.

More flight testing to follow on the prop, but with my O-320/150 I think I'm going to be happy with the 82/41 and glad I don't have to exercise my Armstrong starter in reserve.

And, for those of you awaiting the AOSS performance report, you'll have to stay tuned. It looks like a bigger job to modify the gear attach points than may be warranted given the benefits of having the AOSS installed.

Marc

Dammmme!!! Marc Your turning into a real R&D junkie. This spring you should be ready for that Idaho Back Country flyin.
I installed the AOSS system on my plane and I love it. No bounce (to speak of) and a real steady ride over the rock and sticks on the river bottoms. I have learned to water ski with the big tires just like the big boys. Hope to see you at one of the flyins :D
PS: Keep up the good work.

Marc What kind of static rpm do you get with that 8241. I have the 8244 and I can't get 2350 until I roll about 30-40 ft then the rpm come right up.

I have a 150 hp/O-320 so purchased the 82/41. Due to a brake problem (on the squawk list) I couldn't hold the plane for a complete static runup. I saw 2450 during the initial roll and then 2550 with full throttle during climb. I didn't get a chance to do climb tests to see how steep I could maintain that RPM, but it was dramatically different than my old prop.

Glad to hear someone 'local' who has the AOSS installed and likes it. Hopefully I'll come up with a way to install mine without tearing down the plane.

I had a McCauley cruise prop, I don't have the length/pitch with me. It's the prop specified in the Kenmore O-320 conversion for the -12. Mikey has the same conversion with the Sensenich prop specified in the conversion and I think it's a better performer for a cruise prop.

Back