• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Federal AWA1500 on J-3

Lippy

This is my first time posting so we’ll see how it goes. I just bought a set of Federal AWA1500 hydraulic wheel penetration skis for my 90 J-3 Cub. With that being said however, prior to purchasing them, I fully understood that the AWA’s are not approved for the aforementioned aircraft. The Federal AWB’s are. It is my understanding that there are only negligible changes (if any) other then the data tag between the two. Does anybody have prints, engineering data, or personal experience with a ski such as this? I’ve asked around down here in MN and all of the folks in which I’ve spoken to have said… "you bought a what?" Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zach
218-829-8149

... I've got pictures but haven't quite figured out how to insert them yet...

Welcome Aboard...

How much do those things weigh?

I was running straight skis, but our Alaskan sea-side climate makes using them a problem. (Plus the airport guys plow berms higher than the Great Wall of China)

Wheel Skis would do the trick, but I figured it would be too much weight for my PA-11-90...(legally anyway)

Alex- I just went out and weighed them and each ski weighs in at 35 pounds. The pump, mounting hardware, and hydraulic fluid I would estimate adding 10 more pounds. Sum total somewhere around 80 pounds. They are heavier then the straight skis with which I am accustomed to but the convenience and oddness will surely make it up. We had the engineering data done for a removable front seat, and I’ve got a set of biplane wings (with STC) for the thing, and I procured these skis with the intention being the ODDEST classic that is absolutely spot on legal at Oshkosh. I’M SURE THE FEDS WILL BE ALL OVER THIS ONE!!
What’s a little more weight right? It will be strictly be limited to passengers being 115 lbs or less… preferably female.

Lippy

I just posted pictures of the skis in the photo gallery. It’s in the 90’s here today BUT ski season is rapidly approaching!!

[/list][/url]

T.J.- What attaches to the bracket that appears to be 2-3 inches from the top of the brake? My fittings look just as yours do without the upper attachment. Thank you so much for all your help as it sure is making the installation process easier.

Lippy

Back