• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

External Loads

Binty

South Island, New Zealand
I thought I would share a few interesting images I have recently been given: They are of ZK-BPG a Super Cub owned by the manager of Molesworth Station (New Zealands Largest property) and show the 'bomb racks' and various loads it carried to supply drop the Cattle and Sheep mustering gangs when they were way out back. Typically the loads would be one hay bale (for horse feed) a frozen side of mutton (Meat for the Musterers and their Dogs) and a few lengths of wood for their fire. The aircraft would drop ONE sides load at one camp then head to another to supply the next crew.
BPG Molesworth 1.jpg BPG Molesworth 2.jpg ZKBPG Bomb Rack.jpg

The other two old pics (scanned) show another local Marlborough Cub around 1968 hauling deer carcasses out from the back country during the early 'Deer Days' here in NZ. Thats one complete carcase on each wing- Along with the rear Cockpit full to the roof!
Landing Inland Kaikoura Allan Graham.jpg Deer Recovery 1968 Allan Graham.jpg

Im hoping some of you can share some interesting pics of External loads also?

Attachments

• BPG Molesworth 1.jpg
    BPG Molesworth 1.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 852
  • BPG Molesworth 2.jpg
    BPG Molesworth 2.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 709
  • ZKBPG Bomb Rack.jpg
    ZKBPG Bomb Rack.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 666
  • Landing Inland Kaikoura Allan Graham.jpg
    Landing Inland Kaikoura Allan Graham.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 628
  • Deer Recovery 1968 Allan Graham.jpg
    Deer Recovery 1968 Allan Graham.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 668
Last edited:
How large area were the aircraft covering with supplies?

The areas we are talking about would be only a few mins flight but it is quite Steep terrain so one drop may only be a couple of valleys over from the other. Typical musters would be two or three days duration. Since the Landholder owned the aircraft, it was utilised in this way mainly for convinience. It made the musterers life a lot easier not having to haul the extra supplies. The aircraft would double as a spotter to find the mobs of cattle and sheep. I seem to remember an airhorn on it for chasing stock down also.

Thought I would bring this thread back up, and ask for folks to post any large or unusual loads they have pictures of?? Here is a poor photo
Of a standard guides load when they were building new tent camp platforms. Guides had these all banded and ready to load and standard load was 20 , two by 4s, on the struts, and 16 of the 2x6s on the fuselarge, however the 8 two x 6s, on pilots side doesnt leave much room to squeeze inthrough the door!

Attachments

• 20150213_060611.jpg
    20150213_060611.jpg
    770.2 KB · Views: 758
Last edited:
I had an old friend who hauled a snowmobile, 1/2 sheets plywood, 17' aluminum canoe, etc. somehow lashed to the belly of his pa-12-150 from Kasilof to a duck/trapping shack across the Cook inlet. I think I have a picture of him crabbing in with the canoe and will try to find it. Saw him leave numerous times with floats half submerged and a t.o. run what seemed like forever.

Holy s"""t , i would love to see TC ingeneer look at that on your pic Turbobeaver they would die of a hart attact ,love it

20150213_194440.jpgLol,
Here is loading an 18ft MirrorCraft boat with 5ft beam onto the side of a set of 4930 Edos on the Beaver, was really way tooooo long even for the beaver. Sorry this posted inverted, it is not that way on the tablet
Friend of mine has some old 16mm footage of Earl Payne from Palmer ( bought a PA18 from him once)
Using his cub back in 1950's down in the timber, yarding trees he has cut down , tied behind his cub, he brings the limbed trees back into hunting camp so they would have firewood!!! Lol!

Attachments

• 20150213_182517.jpg
    20150213_182517.jpg
    758.4 KB · Views: 300
  • 20150213_194440.jpg
    20150213_194440.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Looks like an Argo on the way into hunting camp! Lol thanks for sharing that , great photo.
We used to fly Honda three wheelers "Big Reds" on the Beaver ,one on each float, but never tryed
An Argo on the Otter, thats cool. Back in 77 I was up in Torngat Mts above Nain, we had Lab Air
Bring us propane from Goose, he brought em in the Otter , from memory does 18 , 100lbers seams
To ring a bell. Think his name was Clayton Pilgrim ? Out of St Anthony maybe? Lol

I watched an Otter climb out of Two Lakes with a Super Cub fuselage strapped to the floats and I believe that the rest of the Cub was inside. He had to make several runs along the mountain ridge updrafts to get enough altitude to cross Merrill Pass. Talked to the pilot later, he said that he didn't want to do that again.

Here is a good one! Had a fellow guide tell me he watched a guy put a Cub wing in a homemade lumber rack , under his PA18, and fly a cub wing out that way, he ask the fella, when he came back for the second wing, how it flew, he told him it was a piece of cake! I saw a trapper take
An Elan skidoo all apart and put engine and all the parts inside his Pa12, and hang the tunnel of the skidoo under it on a lumber rack to fly it in for trapping season, which has been done lots of times, but I am not sure about the cowling?? Maybe someone has a picture????

Jack Corey used to have a photo of a SeaAir turbine Beaver with a Cessna 206 as an external load. It was an air to air photo, taken with the Alaska Range as a backdrop.. As I recall, Jack told me the 206 was in an accident somewhere around Lake Clark. Amazing photo. I always wondered what happened to that photo when Jack passed.

MTV

no idea who's.. just googling..

58Beaver_Cub.JPG

N8LGsZp.jpg

Attachments

• N8LGsZp.jpg
    N8LGsZp.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 507
It's a real bummer when that lift strut fails because of the load on it. PA12 I know of broke in half at the jury strut attach!
Lucky for him he was taxiing on the tundra when it failed...(moose rack)

Gotta be a kiwi! Great pics..........bet they didnt do the Milford track on those bikes!
Here is the beaver with a 4 wheelerIMG_20150215_092231.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150215_092231.jpg
    IMG_20150215_092231.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Don't have a photo..(so it never happened)

during calving one year this guy finds a dead calf in pasture. Puts in back of pickup. Goes to airport. Uses balling twine, loops back feet together, then runs twine through tied down loop, ties to step. Gets airborne with dead calf hanging from tie down. Flys over friends calving lot, cut twine, dead calf lands on fence,ends up on other side from cows. His friend spends day trying to find cow that killed calf and knocked it through fence.

Haha

don't have a photo..(so it never happened)

during calving one year this guy finds a dead calf in pasture. Puts in back of pickup. Goes to airport. Uses balling twine, loops back feet together, then runs twine through tied down loop, ties to step. Gets airborne with dead calf hanging from tie down. Flys over friends calving lot, cut twine, dead calf lands on fence,ends up on other side from cows. His friend spends day trying to find cow that killed calf and knocked it through fence.

Haha
LMAO, you sure you're not, I mean that rumored pilot isn't an Okie because that could qualify for the Oklahoma practical joke hall of fame!

Last edited:
cub on beaver

There is a PA-18-150 N8781D S/N 18-6310 registered in Homer. Do you suppose that this is the same airplane? The Beaver belongs to a lodge in Anchorage.

Yes that is my cub. I bought it after it got back to anchorage and rebuilt it. Dave

I need to move a couple of hundred pound propane tanks to our camp come summer. Thinking of carrying one on each float, but not sure if they can be safely tied down. I might get an empty and see how it fits.

Anyone on here done that? PA-12-160 on Clamar 2200's.

Back