• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

cubcrafters stc for 2300lbs for pa-18's with univar fuselage

freestone

WA
I didnt see this posted before, so apologies if it has been, but cubcrafters emailed me a note on their new 2300lb stc. Details on website but:

All PA18 series aircraft are eligible to be modified so that the aircraft
can operate legally at 2300 Lbs gross weight via CubCrafters STC
SA01633SE. The new STC allows for useful loads of over 1,100 Lbs on
wheels and over 800 Lbs on Wipline amphibious floats.

The new 2300 LBS gross weight increase STC is applicable only when the following STC’s and/or other
requirements are complied with:
1. Engine • SA92NW, CubCrafters 180 HP Lycoming engine installation
2. Wings • SA00275SE, CubCrafters Vortex Generators, AND;
• Your PA-18 wings reinforced for 2300 Lbs by CubCrafters, OR;
• SA01350SE, 2300 Lbs replacement wings
3. Fuselage • Certain existing Univair fuselages reinforced for 2300 Lbs, OR:
• SA4095NM, CubCrafters 2300 Lbs replacement fuselage
4. Landing Gear • SA00411SE, Cub Crafters 3” extended landing gear, AND;
• SA01158SE, Cub Crafters HD tail wheel.
5. Floats • Wipline 2100A floats are approved when installed in accordance with Cub
Crafters drawing TC10400.
INSTALLATION

And if you're operating in Alaska you can add 10%, right? Brings it up to 2,530 lbs!

Changes like that will help give CC products higher resale value.

Eric

They spent the money getting it approved, no reason they wouldn't try to tie it to their products. It will be up to you to substantiate data for any deviations.

I agree with S2D. Kinda neat they would include supercubs in 2300lbs upgross kit. Now you can buy a Topcub get 2300lbs or rebuild your PA-18 and get 2300lbs. Wonder if the gov't rebuilds will be done per the STC now.

Any idea what the CC gross weight "kit" adds to the empty weight?

I've not taken time to do any research.

DAVE

Dave,

I don't know about the "kit" weight. I flew one Piper/Cub Crafters PA 18 (the new airplanes they were building just before they got the TC) and a CC-18 (Top Cub). The 18 (which supposedly conforms to the 2300 GW) weighed 1290. The CC-18 here weighs 1307 empty. These aren't light planes. I've been told by CC folks that these are heavy, but they are what they are. Neither has a vacuum system, and just a navcom and transponder, so not maxed out on equipment. Both were on 8.50 tires.

MTV

Back