• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cub crash near Cordova. Minor injuries.

cubpilot2

SPONSOR
Anchorage Alaska
On KTUU this evening:

ANCHORAGE, Alaska—
A plane crash in Cordova Friday morning ended up with minor injuries and what the National Guard says is an example of everything going right after a crash.
Troopers say the Supercub had been traveling with a Taylorcraft sightseeing when the Supercub tried to land on the beach at Okalee Spit, about 50 miles southeast of Cordova when the wing clipped the beach, and the plane crashed.
The National Guard says two people were aboard the plane, the pilot, 27-year-old William Bredin and 21-year-old Lisa Yates, both of Anchorage.
When the plane crashed, its ELT activated and Bredin activated a SPOT personal satellite locator device. Coast Guard and National Guard rescuers able to reach the crash within an hour and transported Bredin and Yates to Cordova, and then to Anchorage for treatment of broken bones and lacerations.
"Everything worked like it was supposed to after the crash occurred," said Tech. Sgt. Gail Paculba of the 11th Air Force Rescue Coordination Center in a release.
Paculba said the satellite information from the emergency locator transmitter and the SPOT center enabled rescuers to get to the site quickly.

Quick response from Coast Guard and ANG. Thanks Guys!!
I just got my own SPOT..... It is now "required equipment" along with spare batteries.

"Everything worked like it was supposed to after the crash occurred," said Tech. Sgt. Gail Paculba of the 11th Air Force Rescue Coordination Center in a release.
Paculba said the satellite information from the emergency locator transmitter and the SPOT center enabled rescuers to get to the site quickly.

Anybody know what model ELT was on board and if it was auto tripped or done manually by the pilot?

David

I just listened to Paul Claus last warn people about landing on steep beaches, and now it is burned into my mind. That might not be the cause, but it sure is a good reminder to make a pass and watchout. Hope they all recover to 100%.

I heard last night that the pilot received a broken Femur and hip. Passenger got a nose injury.
I’m trying to envision how things got so bad to cause that type of injury with a "controlled" beach landing. I fully understand how you could easily bend the plane but to get hurt that bad....
I guess his friend in the T-craft was smart enough to not try and land.
Tough / helpless situation to have to leave your buddy... :-(

My guess would some sort of violent groundloop or cartwheel. Your body can take a lot of transverse "G's" but very little lateral force. Furthermore shoulder harnesses work great in a straight ahead impact but will not hold you in very well when the side forces from a cartwheel occur. Try to take the airplane straight in with shoulder harnesses and seat belt tight and you will have the best injury and survival odds. I am sorry for their injuries and hope they recover to fly again.

Bill

Try to take the airplane straight in with shoulder harnesses and seat belt tight and you will have the best injury and survival odds

You are right. Just got out a pretty strong crash and i got only some scratches on top of the head when i went undersnow to get out. Besides those scrathches, i can't find anything wrong with my body.

Louis

11.jpg

The french song in there just say " I am dead, and i don't make a fuss out of it"

Made from photos the next day when we went to recover the plane. Brand new plane, with a very strong frame. Seven feet of snow, a couple of branches, and here i am still alive.

Back