• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Camshafts for experimental use.

benflyn

Starvation Flats, Wyoming
What is a good choice or is there a choice for a camshaft, in an O-320-b2a for experimental.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

S2D wrote,

Are you looking for souped up or just cheaper??

Looking for soup!!

Mr. Benflyn;
You are about to get My standard soap box rhetoric, when it comes to hot rod cams in aircraft engine, BE CAREFUL!

This resonates from my days in engineering school, one of my projects was to do the analysis of a valve train system. By varying the cam lob only, we looked at the stress in the system. A SMALL change in the cam profile makes a HUGE difference in the stresses.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, but come-on, to get the valve open sooner, and keep it open longer, the acceleration has to be greater, the forces will be greater and the stress will be greater.

"LIFE AIN'T LINEAR" to get that relatively small amount of valve opening, large amount of additional stresses will be placed into the valve train.

Once again, I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm not an cam expert, but if your hot rod dune buggy scalds a lifter, who cares. Is the increase in power, worth the possible decrease in reliability?

There it is, Jim

performance aircraft make a cam H 290 the profile will allow you to achieve max hp @2500 rpm instead of 2700. This way you will be able to take advantage of the hp at take off. If that is what your trying to accomplish.

thanks, Gander

I'm at 7000' and every direction is up, just trying to get back the HP that alt. is depriving me of.

I used to live, and learned to fly in W. Colorado. 5000 feet, give or take. I know what you mean about the high altitude penalties at 7000. I remember getting my private. Started in a C150. 90 degrees out, climbing at Vy and losing 150 fpm at times trying to clear the plateau. Didn't take long to upgrade to the Piper Warrior. Man, I thought that was a real rocket!

gb

Back