• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

C170B in is Social Distancing too

Richgj3

BENEFACTOR
LI,NY
ok, so I got the pictures to work. The guy who has the airplane decided to kill some time by polishing. I hope has more time to kill :)

Rich

Attachments

• 674FE28E-3D1C-40CA-A4EF-5D9C5294AAA9.jpeg
    674FE28E-3D1C-40CA-A4EF-5D9C5294AAA9.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 586
  • F91D706F-86F8-419A-B46D-677D379DBF8A.jpeg
    F91D706F-86F8-419A-B46D-677D379DBF8A.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 572
  • 58CB12DF-A944-4ADC-8103-451A40509E9C.jpeg
    58CB12DF-A944-4ADC-8103-451A40509E9C.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 573
Last edited:
That spinner reminds me of an event I personally witnessed one day many years ago at Merrill Field. I was driving down Merrill Field Drive early one morning when I saw a man standing in front of his tied down and RUNNING 170 holding a polishing cloth on his spinner. Swear to god.........

That spinner reminds me of an event I personally witnessed one day many years ago at Merrill Field. I was driving down Merrill Field Drive early one morning when I saw a man standing in front of his tied down and RUNNING 170 holding a polishing cloth on his spinner. Swear to god.........

What could possibly go wrong? :)

It’s been said before, but you meet the best people because of airplanes. My work before I retired had nothing to do with airplanes. But I always loved flying and airplanes and the best friends I have came through aviation.

The man who has my airplane now is a Major Airline Captain. He is also an A&P and IA. He has rebuilt a number airplanes, including a PA12 that won something at Oshkosh. He rebuilt this 170 in the early 90’s and sold it to his friend who owned it until he passed away in December. The family asked John to “find a good home” for the airplane. Meanwhile I was having no luck finding a 170B worth going to look at in Colorado, California etc, being about as far east as one can get without living in Maine. I put an in Barnstormers saying what my experience was, what my hangar situation was and said I’d prefer something East of the Mississippi. I said “I’ll take good care of your airplane”.

John was browsing ads to get an idea of values. He called me, sent pictures, described it and I said yes. Would not take any money until I inspected it and told me it was mine until I didn’t want it. He’s another one of the good guys in aviation. He keeps telling me not to worry that I can’t get it right away. It’s safe in his climate controlled hangar with his Comanche 400 and his wife’s CC Sport Cub. His 400 was the Comanche Society Flagship a few years ago. He restored that, too. I went out there Jan 29 and closed the deal.

So many good folks in this.
Rich

Last edited:
Man I love polished airplanes, but also know I do not possess the discipline to keep them up - no matter how long the lock down is!

sj

Man I love polished airplanes, but also know I do not possess the discipline to keep them up - no matter how long the lock down is!

sj

Some years ago at OshKosh i was visiting with the owner of a beautiful polished DC3.. I asked him what he did..meaning for a living. He replied "Polish mostly".

Back