• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bill Rusk - Down but OK!

Bill, good luck on pulling through, my skinny a$$ would not have made it 200 yards... Bummer on thevplane, I looked at it with a great deal of " good " envy. All the best moving forward.

Wow, Bill, the people in this here supercub.org group are unbelievable! I am so proud to be a member. Great people in support of Great people. (I know you are thinking how "blessed" you are)

Randy

bill,
durn,durn,glad you are ok,headed south through montana mid week if i can assist,leaving alaska this sunday.

jr.

907-495-2655 hm
575-921-5337 cell

Afternoon everyone -

I'm Bill's son, Jason. I've yet to speak with my father since the accident. I did receive an e-mail from him and while I'm relieved to know he is okay, I'd like to speak with him. I know he lost his cell phone in the accident, so if somebody could please provide me with Christian Sturm's contact information I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also I'd like to thank everyone here for their support - I'm sure it means a great deal to him.

Thank you again,
Jason

EDIT: Disregard, I found the number through details he left me before he left. Thank you all again.

Last edited:
Shocking news- tough to loose such a beautiful bird but the important thing is that you are ok - that's all that matters to anyone around here.

Last edited:
Bill,
so sorry to hear about your Cub. Wonderful that you are alright though! As you know, I am retired, and don't have too many obligations. If I can help you, please let me know.

Just talked with Bill looks like the cub has been found and secured for now and waiting on the proper authoritys to work it out.
DW

Last edited:
Bill - I just couldn't be sorrier to hear of your misfortune. Really really glad that you made it out okay. I can't imagine your feelings with the loss of this aircraft that you put so much effort and heart into. Hang in there buddy - the airplane can be replaced - but you and your contribution to this community are invaluable and we are all so grateful that you made it though this in one piece. If there is anything I can do to help all you have to do is ask.
Yep, what Gunny said! When you get bucked off, climb back in the saddle! My prayers are with you!

Just talked with Bill looks like the cub has been found and secured for now and waiting on the proper authoritys to work it out.
DW

I worked commercially underwater lifting boats and such, (shallow dives), in my younger days and can round up a suit to fit, (think Santa waist), if that is needed....

Just glad we are talking about salvage, not body recovery!

Let me know if I can help.

Bill, sorry to hear this! The salvage guys need to correct me, but getting the A/C clear of the water surface is the tricky part....best to tow it submerged to a shallow beach area, and winch it out backwards...you might have to punch drain and vent holes in the wings,so it drains as it starts to come out of the water...slooooowly!

Great new's on finding the cub and roping it off. I really did not think anyone would ever see it again. Buggs told me he has a 50 x 50 hanger Bill can use once its out of the water. Next question is help needed from the Snohomish Wash area to help with the recovery ? Were standing by in case.
Jason, your Dad is pretty up beat about the whole thing. He is okay and now found the cub thats great new's, no doubt alot of his belongings are still in it. He has alot of support around him.

I think Cabella's inflatable suspender's should send Bill a Check for advertising the 200 yard Dash in record time.

Bill

thankfully I have never had to lift a plane (from under water). A few boats, and funny stories doing that...

But the key, as mechanics tell me, is to come out VERY slowly allowing the water to run out as you lift. Cut holes or slashes in the fabric under the wings and belly so the water can escape.

If you just lift, the water weight will collapse structure.

something of a relief to discuss recovery, isn't it.

Bill, my in-laws left a few beers here, so you can have a brew, sleep in a warm bed with a great view, then take off on wheels for your trip if you like... think about it when you get your feet under you:pty:

and in hopes to make you smile: if you wanted the derned hat so bad, we woulda' gotten you one!!!!!!!!

Please don't scare the gumbo out of us any more guys!!! Ed on his way here, you on the way here....:eek:

Uh ho, I see a pattern...:oops:

Seriously, call if I can help in any way. ANY WAY!

Bill,

My hat is off to you for not only thinking clearly after such a violent and abrupt stop but also for having the stamina and strength to get yourself to safety!!! We are so relieved to know that you are safe. I suspect the rest will fall into place as I suspect you have your priorities pretty darn straight!

Glad that the plane was located and best of luck with the recovery mission!!!

cafi

I would venture to bet that old Air Force survival training was worth it... Prayers are with you Bill......

Bill sorry to hear about this, we are glad you are ok. I hope the salvage goes well.

-Jay

After an adrenalin experience like that, you'll have brain-zoom for weeks....I recommend 2 oz alchohol (medicinal) 2 hours before bedtime, and one anti-histamine at bedtime, to tone down the brain-zoom....you'll need your sleep. I sure needed it after my toy-wrecking adrenalin experience! And I didn't have to swim! Any docs out there with advice??

Wow, what an event - potentially catastrophic, but looks like things are going right afterward. Like the others I'm so glad you made it to shore in good shape, and am glad and impressed that you were able to locate the plane. Hopefully it's not badly hurt, other than wet.

Thank God Bill is OK. What a story he has to tell. Vivian & I were hoping to follow his adventures vicariously but this definately is overload.
Glad you made it Bill, Darrel & Vivian Starr

Well, h#ll !! What will you experimental Cub builders think of next? Wide bodies, big motors, fancy wings, big tires, skiis, floats.. Now, a CUBMARINE !! Next thing you know there will be a Cub on the moon...

Really glad you're OK Bill. :up

John Scott

bill i will help in any way possible, divers, salvage, etc. I have many contacts in that industry in the USA please feel free to call at 412-551-4817. I am proud of how hard you worked to build your girl, i would be happy to see her fly again soon.

We just got home from the National Biplane Fly-in in Junction City and Eddie read this thread. Needless to say, we both are so happy that Bill is ok, and we hope the recovery goes smoothly.
Charlotte and Ed Doyle

Bill, we're all pulling for you and you'll move past this one. Darn glad you made it out ok. We're all here to help any way we can from whereever we are.

across the Idaho border to the Cabinet Gorge Dam, where it was secured with ropes for the time being.

Now they will probably figure out how to tax him as a cross border river-boat.

Back