• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Apply to fly to Canada before 5/31/03?

Rookie

WA
For those of us who tend to fly VFR, you may want to pay attention to a story in the newest copy of GA News, regarding FDC 3/3542, which recinds the blanket waiver that has allowed (much of?) VFR flight between the US and Canada. If you want to do that after June 15th, you'll need to fill out the form you can get from the URL in the FAA notice, and fax it to the TSA before 5/31/2003, I guess.

So, maybe I'm misreading the chain of NOTAMS, but it sounds like if I want to fly to Canada this summer, I have a form to fill out and fax to the TSA, in the next three days.

Has anyone been regularly operating under the soon to be recinded blanket waiver? Can they explain this?

(Let's try to keep it informational, so this doesn't get bumped to rants&raves; I'll be happy to meet you there.)

I downloaded the form, filled it out, faxed it back with the required credit card info. They faxed it back the next day. It's good for 6 months. Easy and very impressive for bureaucrats.

Good luck!
murph

I read 3542 to only cancel blanket waivers from the txp code requirement of 2/5319 to operate between Canada and Seattle airspace without an ATC assigned txp code and 3541 cancels them for the Minneapolis ATC/Canada airspace.

I think Notam 2/5319 remains in effect and controls trips to and from Canada, the pertinent part follows.

A. PART 91 VFR OPERATIONS ARE AUTHORIZED FOR AIRCRAFT WITH A MAXIMUM CERTIFICATED TAKEOFF GROSS WEIGHT OF 95,000 POUNDS OR LESS, BETWEEN THE COUNTRIES OF THE U.S., CANADA, AND MEXICO, PROVIDED ALL THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET:

1. THE AIRCRAFT IS REGISTERED IN THE U.S., CANADA OR MEXICO.

2. THE FLIGHT CREW AND ONLY KNOWN PASSENGERS ARE ON BOARD.

3. THE PILOT FILES AND ACTIVATES A FLIGHT PLAN.

4. THE PILOT IS IN COMMUNICATION WITH THE GOVERNING ATC FACILITY AT THE TIME OF THE BOUNDARY CROSSING.

5. THE AIRCRAFT IS SQUAWKING AN AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL ASSIGNED DISCRETE BEACON CODE.

6. THE PILOT COMPLIES WITH ALL U.S. CUSTOMS NOTIFICATIONS AND COMPLIES WITH REQUIREMENTS TO LAND AT AIRPORTS IN THE U.S., CANADA OR MEXICO DESIGNATED AS PORTS OF ENTRY.

Read the notams, get a briefing from FSS, file a flt plan, notify customs, get a txp code and comunicate with ATC. I don't think anything has changed except blanket waivers.

Flying from Canada to USA

I just delivered a J-3 from Edmonton, AB area to Denver. I landed right on the border at Sweetgrass, MT and because of this, did not require any waiver, transponder, or anything else. I phoned them from Lethbridge before I departed and gave them my ETA. The US Customs folks picked me up in a mini van and took me to the border car/truck crossing station to fill out the paperwork. They were very nice and helpful. Once done they drove me back to the strip and bid me a safe journey and I was off on my slow trip to Denver. The grass was fairly long and the strip was bumpy, but it was just fine for a Cub. The long grass helped with the strong crosswind!

From the best? of my understanding the above info is correct, and the new waiver only "replaces" the " individual waivers that "were" previously available. I suggested that "my guys" that are flying to Alaska/Canada apply and get the new waiver, in case either (no transponder) or inoperative transponder was a possibility? As far as I know all did so, and in my case I was given a "6 month" exemption from the requirement of "having a transponder and squaking a descret code" while flying to/from Canada to/from the USA.

I don't quite understand the 5/31/deadline either, however I would suggest someone make a call and ask?

The challenge is for a "cub" type airplane flying into at least western Canada, radar coverage is not available at low altitude, (where we fly)? I am not sure if that would mean that we would have to carry oxygen and fly at 3000ft and above?? to be legal?

Tim

Border Crosing

Great Falls FSS advised me that Sweetgrass was my only option since I had no transponder. It is hard to imagine how the big brains in goverment think that a 750 lbs. J-3 is a threat to national security!

Back