• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Any "Super Sport" Builders out there?

Rick Neilson

Alma, Nebraska, USA
Would sure appreciate any info from those of you familiar with building one of WagAero's "Super Sport" kits or plans. Of particular interest are the completeness of the kits, any significant building problems encountered, existence &/or completness of building manuals, possibility of using 180h.p., build fusalage vs. buy pre-weld/tack (I can weld), and any flyability issues. Also, can a set of piper wings be used? Thanks a heap, in advance!

Rick,

I'm building up a "Super Cubby" right now. Haven't decided on which engine to use, maybe an O-200 maybe an 0-320. The wings I've got don't have flaps and I plan to keep it that way. I'm using the Wag-Aero fuselage kit. I've restored two J-3's so I'm enjoying doing an experimental. Sure more lee way than you get with a certified airplane.

A good friend of mine at Manson, Iowa has built up and sold about a dozen Wag-Aero fuselage kits. In fact he just picked up another one this week. He's one of Wag-Aero's best customers for kits. If you'd like I can put you in touch with him. I had him do most of the welding on this fuselage. I'm just building doors, seat frames, baggage compartment, interior and other
"minor" stuff. That way I don't have to sweat my welding skills on structural items.

When the weather is good it's common for 3-6 of us to be roaming around Iowa in a pack with our J-3's, Pa-11's, or Super Cubs. It's not Alaska but it's still fun to fly any type of Cub any where. Let me know if I can put you in touch with my friend at Manson

Hey Doc, When do you find time to build a plane ? I'm a vet in NE Ohio. I have a 1957 Pa18A . Love to fly..... maybe I'll visit Nebraska on the way to the Texas Tour. If you ever get to Ohio,let me know. Rick Papp

Rick, I don't find time! I just stop by the hangar and look at the airplane! I've always been a pa-28 driver. Made the life-changing mistake of going to alaska and getting a seaplane endorsement in a supercub, last summer. My brain actually changed. You know, for 4 or 5 minutes these sub-q bumps were whirling around all over my head. I was visualizing myself going thru a tunnel at high speed in outer space. When I finally became conscious again, I looked in the mirror and saw that I'd changed into a supercub pilot!
Stop by, if you get this way! Congrats on the buckeyes.
Rick

Wow Doc , Small worlld , Big state !!! I was in AK 3 weeks last summer . Even found a continuing ed meeting in Yakatat. Cant wait to go back. Next time with the Supercub when I win the Bushwheels . Keep in touch! Rick Papp :D

Mark,
Do you think your friend would part with plans for the fuselage jig for the sport trainer?
Lug

Sport Trainer Jig

Lug,

The Wag Aero Sport Trainer Plans have the measurements. The jig is just a flat plywood table with wood blocking at the appopriate place to hold the tubing for tack welding. E-mail me if you'd like and I'll get you my friends contact information and he can fill you in on the process. He's had a lot of experience and does a really nice job.

Mark

Back