• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Any solar panel gurus out there?

Experts,

Starting to research battery options for a simple setup to power an MGL radio/intercom directly and Garmin 496, ipods, etc. via cigarette receptacle. Don't need cranking power cause I don't have a starter. Of course, looking for the lightest solution. And interestingly, this setup would be lighter than all the handheld stuff and the nest of wires we had before. Would also love to have solar charging capability, put in the skylight, for those long trips to keep said battery topped off. None of these devices draws more than a couple amps.

Any thoughts on brands, volts/watts/amps needed, setup, etc? Looked at Sunlinq from Stewarts links above and GoalZero from REI for solar options. Just don't know how big of an outfit I need. Of course looked at Odyssey for batteries but don't think they make anything small enough for my application.

Sorry if these questions seem a little remedial. I'm kind of an Okie when it comes to electricty.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

No comments? Come on, I know there's some good experience and gurus out there in the .org cyberspace.

Was it the Okie comment? I take it back. I love all people.

I use a Werker compact 12 volt cell I picked up at Batteries Plus to run the Icom, intercom and Garmin 510. It works really well and I can go for a couple of weeks of flying an hour or so a day before I have to put it on the charger. It has plenty of amperage. I took an old ELT rack and modified it to mount the battery securely in the bottom of the baggage compartment. Next I'll get a basic solar recharger for flying/camping.

Basic solar charger? I delivered this yesterday prior to setting it with my crane, a 2820 watt array on my own design rack. You'll need a good sized plane as it weighs 1600 pounds.
DSC_1315-1.jpg

Who is the customer? Now that an ARRAY! The truck with the batteris is not far behind I hope!

What is the open circuit voltage at meridian passage?

Last edited:
Trying to get smarter about this stuff myself. Great info, thanks.
Hey C.Guy what is the lat long of you place so I can find it on google earth?
and nice talking with you today!

Back