• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Any New PTT On Throttle Ideas?

Jasperfield

NC
I've read everything I can find on this subject, both here and on Van's, but haven't found the solution.

Ideally, I'd like to push my thumb into the side of the throttle ball and key the radio without having to depress a "tall" columnar-type button. Alternatively, (and more simple to install) I'd like to find a push-button switch with a 3/8" +/- surface area to mount onto the throttle rod cover at a (yet unknown) good position for "ergonomic" thumb activation.

I'm not "fixed" on throttle switching, but do not want any type of "stick" mounted switch.

Thanks

Try putting a tape dot on the throttle cover just ahead of the throttle arm. Now imagine that being a pushbutton switch and activate it with your middle finger while the throttle is in a normal position for flight. This is where I installed mine and it worked great. Easy to install and just leave a little slack in the wire to facilitate removal of the cover for annual (or whatever).

I also installed one for the pax seat, but mounted it to the bottom of the cover. this keeps it out of the way of the pax throttle and less likely for somebody to push it thinking its an ICS or something. YMMV

I just machined a pair for my PA-12 out of black walnut. I got threaded inserts for the backside from Lowes and a pair of PTT switches from Aircraft Spruce. I haven`t put it all together yet but it looks like they are all going to work just fine.

Just spent three days in one with the button ahead of the throttle, mounted on the horizontal sheet metal. Felt absolutely normal. We have them everywhere - my Cub has momentary toggle PTTs on the wing root. The instruction Cub has a velcro button wrapped around the rear throttle. The Super Dec and Stearman have it on the control stick. Just doesn't seem to make any difference, so long as you know where it is - one J-3 locally has the front PTT in the carb heat well. I liked that too.

Assuming you're EXP, why not go wireless? There are hundreds of keychain type transmitters to chose from for about $10+. They operate in the UHF range, so you should be OK in a Cub.

We have used a number of different switches for the PTT on a club J3. The best one so far is this one. Nice fat surface for the button and a positive action (tactile feedback) from Digikey mounted on the top of the stick but could be panel mounted. Moderately priced
10-10.jpg

Also considered this one from Digikey might work better as a panel mount. Again, has tactile feedback. Not cheap

IPR3FAD6.jpg

The worst ones we used were these from Radioshack No tactile feedback and easily damaged if bumped. The surface area was also so small as to nearly puncture skin when you depressed it. That being said, it is small enough to be mounted in a stopped 3/8" hole with just the button peeking out through a smaller hole in the surface of a knob. Haven't tried that though.

02751547_01.jpg

Attachments

• 10-10.jpg
    10-10.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,036
  • IPR3FAD6.jpg
    IPR3FAD6.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 02751547_01.jpg
    02751547_01.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,023
I took the top button above,(but no tactile snap-action feedback) cut it in half and grafted it to a monolithic (diaphragm) snap-action switch (pretty common in the electronics world), then machined out the throttle knobs to accept them. It's worked fine for 20 years now, but sticking out the end means you are going to blip them once in a while with your hand when reaching for the throttle, and it can interfere with the front seat back (rear seat throttle) at take-off....if I was going to do it again, I would find a better location...

I routinely mount them in a stock ball for the control sticks. It's the same ball as found on the throttles. Find a switch you are happy with (smaller is actually better) drill the ball to fit, and install the switch. I wire them with a piece of single conductor, shielded wire. You should be able to go as small as 24 gauge with no problems. And remember that the center conductor is PTT and the shield is ground. The stock throttle lever's threaded portion is a piece of flat stock bent to form a cylinder. This gives you a route for your wire as you install the knob. Route the wire below the throttle lever and leave a loop for movement, then to your connection point (usually the mic jack). Bigger switches that have that 'click' feel are usually so large as to cause problems for installation. They are also a bigger target for large objects to strike, lol.

Web

I think the Husky has a built-in PTT switch in the throttle knob. One of the salvage companies might have them for sale if you don't want to fabricate one.

I think I would make the recess a bigger diameter and button stick out a little more so winter gloved thumb could use it.

Glenn

PTT Throttle knob.jpg

PTT Throttle knob2.jpg

Attachments

• PTT Throttle knob.jpg
    PTT Throttle knob.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 159
  • PTT Throttle knob2.jpg
    PTT Throttle knob2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 174
  • throttle knob 2.pdf
    44.5 KB · Views: 292
Not quite the same thing but sorta along the same lines...a while back someone used to offer headsets with a PTT button built into the side of one of the earcups-- great for someone who rented or otherwise flew airplane(s) without a hardwired PTT.

My cub came with a PTT on TOP of the Stick. I am always activating with charts, clipboards, water bottles etc. To me it is NOT a good place for it.
I do like the stick mounted "trigger" types though.
I really think I would like the throttle button position.

If you like to keep it on the stick just put it on front of stick right below where your little finger sits it is out of the way and easy to activate.
DENNY

The PTT switch on the Husky is on the throttle, the far right of the throttle ball.....technically, the top of the ball, if the ball were actually sitting upright. It's very natural to press the switch with your thumb for PTT.

I really like this approach much better than any of the control stick mountings I've used, and I've used most of them.

MTV

I really like this arrangement. I operate this Radio Shack switch with my little finger. Works perfectly and doesn't get in the way.
P6210004a.JPG

Attachments

• P6210004a.JPG
    P6210004a.JPG
    407.5 KB · Views: 178
I cut a pencil eraser off and stuck some 2 sided tape on it and tried different spots on the throttle while flying around for 3 hrs this weekend. I was ready to make some Delrin knobs for the push PTT. But I discovered I don't like the knob location for the switch, very awkward for me anyway.
I've had a Velcro mounted one on the front of the stick just below my pinky finger, and after moving it around I also discovered that that's the perfect spot for me.

Glenn

I cut a pencil eraser off and stuck some 2 sided tape on it and tried different spots on the throttle while flying around for 3 hrs this weekend. I was ready to make some Delrin knobs for the push PTT. But I discovered I don't like the knob location for the switch, very awkward for me anyway.
I've had a Velcro mounted one on the front of the stick just below my pinky finger, and after moving it around I also discovered that that's the perfect spot for me.

Glenn

Move that PTT back to where it was 'cause your transmit sounded weak to me. On the other hand, some might not object to you having a weak transmit.

I just installedone in My SC like Denny describes and Darrell pictured. I have installed in the throttleknob like the Husky but that is a small channelthan the throttle rides in and is challenging to secure the wire from damage.

This is a custom PTT switch we made for Lou.
20141112_085003.jpg

Attachments

• 20141112_085003.jpg
    20141112_085003.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 816
Last edited:
Back