• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Anti Chafe Tape on Vertical Stab Ribs

Grant

FRIEND
At Work.....
I am going to try and lay down some fabric tomorrow evening and need to know if I should apply anti-chafe tape to the vertical stab ribs. Seems there is a differing opinion on using it or not and what type to use if you decide to.

Piper put two rib stitches on the upper rib. I have tried, but they always, always pull out. My last attempt was with aluminum doilies with holes for stainless safety wire. The entire doily pulled through on both.

Cub Crafters, in their wisdom, leaves them off. Fabric does not appear to touch the ribs. My next, and last, cover job willb e back to a single loop of rib stitch cord, probably soft cotton, and when it pulls loose, at least it will look "original"

Putting anti- chafe tape on the ribs is probably not necessary, but it certainly won't hurt anything.

no anti chafe tape
just 3 stitches on top former with some rib stich reinforcement tape on top of fabric just like wings, never seen a problem as bob describes

I used tape around the two ribs...not for the fabric but to protect the rib stitch. The stitches on the stabilizer are not pulled to the rib...just enough to prevent drumming of the fabric. I'm pretty sure there will be some drumming or movement of the fabric with a good slip a passenger doesn't like even when you describe it first.... Top rib gets the stitches...second doesn't....but I did....I like good slips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ab83a36dd54ad0144f83816f9d1d6348.jpg

Bob, did you use reinforcing tape under the stitches, like on wings? I stitched mine and it does just fine with big slips. Just as steep as you showed me in your Cub.

Yes - protecting the stitch from the sharp lower edges of the rib, then a doubler of fabric, then reinforcing tape, then a double standard rib stitch, properly terminated, then the little round pinked patch. The second time, all that plus the reinforcing tape was aluminum, and the rib stitch stainless safety wire. Pulled to the rib, just like Piper.

Maybe it is because I just used two - like Piper - and not a row of stitches like a lot of folks do. I have seen others pulled out (or maybe not pulled to the rib) but I promise - the fin works without stitches.

Back