• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Anchorage weather warning

sierra bravo

We get some early practice for winter winds. At least we aren't using wing covers yet. And I have a golf match late this afternoon. Sweet!

[h=3]High Wind Warning[/h]
URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ANCHORAGE AK435 AM AKDT TUE SEP 4 2012AKZ101-050145-/X.CON.PAFC.HW.W.0013.120905T0000Z-120905T0900Z/ANCHORAGE-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ANCHORAGE...EAGLE RIVER...INDIAN...EKLUTNA435 AM AKDT TUE SEP 4 2012...

HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 1 AM AKDT WEDNESDAY ALONG EAST ANCHORAGE THE HILLSIDE ANDTURNAGAIN ARM...

* LOCATION...PORTIONS OF EAST ANCHORAGE NEAR THE MOUNTAINS ALONG WITH THE ANCHORAGE HILLSIDE AND TURNAGAIN ARM.* WIND...SOUTHEAST 25 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 60 MPH ALONG EAST ANCHORAGE AND THE LOWER HILLSIDE. SOUTHEAST 75 TO 100 MPH ALONG TURNAGAIN ARM AND THE UPPER HILLSIDE.

* TIMING...THE STRONGEST WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND PEAK DURING THE EVENING HOURS AS A WEATHER FRONT APPROACHES. WITH FRONTAL PASSAGE...WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO DIMINISH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL MAY BE DIFFICULT. TREES MAY BE BLOWN OVER. LOOSE DEBRIS CAN BE MOVED AND DAMAGE PROPERTY.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A HIGH WIND WARNING MEANS A HAZARDOUS HIGH WIND EVENT IS EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. PEOPLE ARE URGED TO SECURE LOOSE OBJECTS THAT COULD
BE BLOWN AROUND OR DAMAGED BY THE WIND.

95 mph now

It's blowing pretty good in south Anchorage. Trees down in my yard. Lots of broken limbs all over the neighborhood. So far we still have power, though. Probably not for long the way the trees are whipping. Lake Hood isn't getting hit too bad. Exposed float planes are getting rocked but the wheel planes are dong fine. The new Air Hawks sure bounce around less than the old Bushwheels did. For what that's worth.

Several. The record for how far I could hit a ball into the woods was in jeapardy with every swing. Funny how going downwind might benefit you by two clubs but into the wind hurts you by six. And using six extra came up short a few times. Today I saw golf balls do things I've never seen before. Good fun.

Trying to get out of ANC tonight at 1am. Flights delayed, big time. The T Arm has winds of 100mph. Paradise has its drawbacks from time to time.

so how did we fair?? I can't get to the weather site to see how high winds got?? no power anch or eagle river that i know of...

No power here or for as far as I can see. The world is very dark this morning. Livin' on an iPad and Folgers coffee bags until it gets light enough to see the damage.

Birchwood looks ok at first glance.

Fire lake looked like a white 180/5 on south end on new glen side bent wing. Another upside down maybe. Looking through trees as i drove on old glen. Might be wrong. Just getting light out

Quite a bit of control surface damage at MRI gravel strip & qubeq parking. My PA-12 safe & sound in Fairbanks. Very scary hairy ride coming into 14 at ANC at 5:30pm last night on ERA Dash 8. Headed to Fairbanks Friday to go haul hunters & meat in, then get back home to MRI

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

There's a Pacer on floats dry docked on the Hood strip. Upside down and mangled pretty badly. All the usual gawkers are out in force.

My 180 rode it out. A buddy's Cub next to me has his metal tail clean out dangling and bent up. His tail was tied to a longish rope. His tailwheel dug a trench sideways. Must have blown petty hard. Still blowing a bit but the air taxis are operating.

Maximum gust on hillside 131 mph, Glen Alps on hillside per KTUU weather.

Last edited:
Was going to take $hit at MRI gravel strip, but...
hu8ade7e.jpg

Was going to take $hit at MRI gravel strip, but...
hu8ade7e.jpg

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE

Mike, Glad to hear your 12 was in F'bnks. Looks like some of the folks got the planes turned to the SE, and one turned N. lots of bad memories of a similar blow a few years back. I see that the pilot restroom facilities at Quebec parking haven't changed much either.

Still no power at my house. No heat, no well, no refrigeration...... At least it isn't cold outside. Overall airplane damage is minimal. What's staggering is how many downed and damaged trees there are around town. 5 down in my yard and I got off a lot easier than many I've seen.

Here in the ice belt we are really familiar with them having to restore power one house at a time due to tree damage. It can take forever. Good luck!

I thought (no doubt mistakenly) that strong winds were pretty common up there?

sj

We usually get a late or early ice storm and wind that does the same thing here in spring and fall, although after the drought this year, there are practically no leaves on the trees anyway.

Interesting how many of them snapped a few feet up. We learned at New Holstein that it takes 50mph to blow over a porta-potty.

sj

Still no power ay my house either SB. Chugach says another night at least. Thanks to fellow SuperCub pilot I have a Honda 2000 purring keeping my heat, hot water, fridge & freezers going. No internet other than phone..... I'll live. :)

Back