• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

adsb

rhodescr

Bought a new to me 90 horse supercub. I live in Florida and I'm tired of dodging class B in Tampa and Orlando. I have a good KT76A transponder on the shelf. If i installed it I would have to buy a alt encoder. Then a Tailbeacon I don't want to be cheap but I hate spending a bunch of money on stuff that will not make the plane fly better. Question is is it worth installing the old transponder and a new encoder then install a tailbeacon or tailbeacon x. Or should I bight the Bullitt and go Garmin 335 install or ?? Thoughts.

Randy

I like the Garmin GDL 82 for ADS-B. It will work with your KT76A. If you want a digital transponder, the KT74 is a same tray, slide in replacement. I just put one in my Bird Dog that I bought from Avionics shop (NOS) for $1,000.

You say you’re tired of “dodging” Class B airspace. First, I’d talk to a lot of pilots and some schools around there and find out IF the controllers there will routinely clear a little plane into “their” airspace, or if their default response to a Cub is “remain clear of the xxxx Bravo airspace”.

That said, ADSB allows you to operate UNDER and within the veil of Bravo airspace, and that will help. But some Bravo controllers pretty much routinely reject clearance by “bug smashers” through “their” airspace, so don’t assume ADSB is a panacea.

I have a SkyBeacon, which was easy install and works fine. If you are doing an initial install, and don’t want something stuck on the end of your wing, a GDL 62 might be better. I just got back from OSH, and was amazed at the number of Skybeacons I saw on left wing tips.

MTV

Whether a SkyBeacon or GDL-82? The big advantage is they work with your Mode C and they have WAAS built in. If you go with some other products you may need to add a WAAS GPS source, too. My Garmin GTX-33ES requires an external WAAS source. Lesson learned. Adding an encoder is simple in any case.

Last edited:
To Mike’s point: Now and then a controller will deny access - I have had it happen twice in the last decade. A short conversation (on the phone) seems to cure it. The controller’s handbook has priorities listed, and ”bug smashers” rank right along with Citations, at least under VFR conditions.

We run a small fleet of “no electrical system” Cubs. We are perfectly legal under the Class B, although there are controllers who disagree. Again, their supervisors can provide them with the necessary knowledge.

Reply ADSB

To Mike’s point: Now and then a controller will deny access - I have had it happen twice in the last decade. A short conversation (on the phone) seems to cure it. The controller’s handbook has priorities listed, and ”bug smashers” rank right along with Citations, at least under VFR conditions.

We run a small fleet of “no electrical system” Cubs. We are perfectly legal under the Class B, although there are controllers who disagree. Again, their supervisors can provide them with the necessary knowledge.

I Know I can ask for permission for class B. Have no desire to fly the cub to a class B Airport but the 30 mile adsb veil really tightens up the airspace and Adsb would end that. I'm an old Alaska Part 135 (Bush Lol) pilot but you cant get away with being an outlaw forever in Florida. I bought a used Garmin 327 Txpr with an encoder and a new in box GDL 82 for a good price. Will install when the temp in the hanger gets below the 90 degree mark. Thanks everyone for the resposes.

Randy

53 PA-18-95 N8656C
59 B35K N5325E

So.. a little bit of drift here, but this morning I was test flying some tweaks on the 180 and just toodlling around. I saw (on adsb) one of the flight school planes in the practice area about three miles away, so I turned a bit, then I saw a plane on super long final into another airport (also 3+ miles away), so I did a 180 and headed the other direction. The flight school plane said "Hey 17B, approach wants to talk to you on 126.6 if you are on frequency". So I called them up and they asked me if I wanted flight following since I was meandering around in the area (my words, not theirs), and mentioned the aforementioned traffic. I said I was about to head back to the home base but thanks for the offer. I think he was sad that I was not using flight following...

Now in Kansas City, if you asked for flight following they would sigh loudly and occasionally begrudgingly give it to you.

Interesting how different approach controls operate...

sj

KBTV is our “local” “towered” airport. They are super busy with the flight schools, VTANG, and limited commercial.
But, they always want to talk to everyone and assign codes as it is the fast route to more funding and guaranteed grants.
They assign a code before even asking where you’re going
Follow the money.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back