• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

8.50 x 6 vs 8.50 x 10

Cardiff Kook

PATRON
Sisters, OR
I am again on an "upgrade my wheels" kick.

I have the original McCauley wheels/brakes.

What's the the pros/cons of the 850 x 6 vs the 850 x 10.

I know the 6 inch weighs less and fits more tires. Sounds like 10 gives you an overall bigger footprint with little speed loss because brake caliper is in the rim and doesn't drag.

Anything I am missing.

Home base is pavement. Do most of my pattern work on grass. Most landings these days end up being on grass. I play our in Idaho several times a year but as a % of my flying it's small- and I don't do "off airport" with the Cessna.

Currently I have 8x6's

These are are Goodyear 8.50 x 6 compared with Desser 8.50 x 10.

IMG_0141.jpg
IMG_0141.jpgIMG_0142.jpg

MTV

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 59
Thanks Mike. what's the downside?

I think somewhere else you recommended 6 inch rims for a 185

Cardiff,

I like these 8.50 x 10. Primary reason they’re on this plane, however, is there is NO approvals for anything bigger than 7.00 on this plane with 6 inch wheels, other than Bushwheels. I spend too much time on pavement for those.

If this were a 180 or 185, it’d wear Goodyear 8.50x6 tires.

MTV

I am again on an "upgrade my wheels" kick.
I have the original McCauley wheels/brakes........
Home base is pavement. Do most of my pattern work on grass. Most landings these days end up being on grass. I play our in Idaho several times a year but as a % of my flying it's small- and I don't do "off airport" with the Cessna. ...

Seems like a lot of big tires on skywagons are more for show than for go.
As long as you're operating on airstrips, and not mud bogs or gravel bars,
I think 850x6 is generally plenty of tire.
That said, I think 850x10 is a pretty good choice if you do want to go bigger than 850x6,
but want to minimize the weight & drag penalties.

Switching to 850x10's would require buying new wheels, not an inexpensive proposition.
I'm not real familiar with McCauley wheels, I've heard the three-piece ones are problematic.
So if you are replacing the wheels & brakes anyway, the cost penalty of going with 850x10 vs 850x6 becomes a lot less.

Throughout the years with many different threads on tires, I’ve seen few mentions of the shaved 4-ply 29-11-10 (used to be referred to as the Gar Aero). Old technology and heavier than Bushwheels/etc, but for someone that’s concerned about pavement wear on the tires seems to be a good compromise. Especially with the new 10 in wheels.

Jim

If you buy ABW 10" x 10" wheels you get approval for both 850x10 and 29" x 11" x 10" Air Hawks. Neither is up to the Bushwheel standard but lots of guys use them. Bushwheels are radials and Air Hawks are bias ply. All else aside the rolling resistance is different and radials are the clear winner. Air Hawks are more durable but that comes with being stiffer and heavier. I know nothing about the Desser options or Grove wheel option.

If the tires you have are bogging you down on the surfaces you use or limiting your access to rough strips? Bigger tires help. Increased AOA always helps.

Desser 850x10? They look like McCreary / STA Airtracs to me.
Unless you count their retreads, I think the only 850x10 tires Desser makes are the smooth "tundra tires".

Yes, sorry, they are McReary, sold by Desser.

MTV

I run ABW 10x10’s with airhawk 29’s on my 185 and had GarAero’s with 29’s on my 180. I really like the 29 AirTrac’s on the skyWagons for the stiffer side walls when on beaches and narrow mountain strips.

Not sure if there is an STC for the Grove 10" wheel and brakes for a 180/185 but the brake disc is much larger than the AB 10" and give allot more braking power. I have them on my SC by STC and they are tubeless using the 29" Aero Classic tires. Having no tube saves some weight and the Aero Classic tires have harder rubber compound that can withstand use on pavement much better than ABW's and they are a little easier on your pocketbook when replacing than an ABW. They also seem to hold air much better than the ABW's. Yes, there definitely not as big and soft as an ABW but a great compromise. You can also use the 8:50X10" tires but I believe you must use a tube. Seems like tubes these days are almost as much as a tire.

Apparently yes there is. Includes approval for 850x10, 29x10, & 31x10 tires.

Grove 10 Inch Wheels & Brakes (groveaircraft.com)

They do not have the approval for the 31X10 tires yet, I talked to Seaplanes North in Sept. They have not been able to get the wheels and brakes from Grove for at least the last two years. I like the product but if you can't get parts if you need a replacement it is a bad choice. Look at the Bushwheels lightweight 10 in wheel. I can lock up a 35 in bushwheel with a 1 1/4 in brake on a 2,000 lb cub.
DENNY

I was just going by what their website said.I wish these outfits wouldn't say "approved" when it's actually "approval pending".I agree, those would be a poor choice if you can't get replacement parts when you need them.Grove stuff for the Cub seems like the cat's meow, for the skywagon maybe not so much?

They do not have the approval for the 31X10 tires yet, I talked to Seaplanes North in Sept. They have not been able to get the wheels and brakes from Grove for at least the last two years. I like the product but if you can't get parts if you need a replacement it is a bad choice. Look at the Bushwheels lightweight 10 in wheel. I can lock up a 35 in bushwheel with a 1 1/4 in brake on a 2,000 lb cub.
DENNY

Denny,

I believe the lightweight 10 inch wheel is approved only for the 35 Bushwheel. It’s a 8.5 x 10, not a 10 x 10.

MTV

Mike
You are right as usual. My bad, the lightweight rim is a nice way to go. I have had a set of the grove rims and brakes with 31 in Desser tires for at least 5 years now in my hanger. I fell for the STC will be out in July from the Desser crew. The 31 inch Dresser/rim/caliper weigh the same as a 31 inch bushwheel on 6 in rim. Airframes was in front of my hanger at the time so we did a quick weight check because everyone was calling asking about the setup. I finally bought another set of 29 in tires to put everything on at annual, I am into this for over 5 grand now so I will run them and keep the old tires/rims as backup in case we can't get parts. It is a great setup for a Cessna on tar but if Grove only does a run of parts every 4 years you could be left out in the cold. I will try to call on Monday and see what Seaplanes North says.
DENNY

Throughout the years with many different threads on tires, I’ve seen few mentions of the shaved 4-ply 29-11-10 (used to be referred to as the Gar Aero). Old technology and heavier than Bushwheels/etc, but for someone that’s concerned about pavement wear on the tires seems to be a good compromise. Especially with the new 10 in wheels.

Jim

I run the shaved 4 ply on a Cub. The wheels are heavy duty 6 bolt Cleveland in a Gar-aero adapter. This is a great setup for working off of paved runways…

I bought a set of the smooth 8.50 x 10 tires, thinking I’d switch when these treaded tires are worn out. I may not live that long….. The smooth tires are lighter, how much I don’t know.

Running these at 15 psi, there is a noticeably smoother ride than 8.50 x 6. That said, I’m not doing no joke rough stuff at all. If you’re going there, in a 185, Bushwheels may be the best answer.

MTV

Denny,

I believe the lightweight 10 inch wheel is approved only for the 35 Bushwheel. It’s a 8.5 x 10, not a 10 x 10.

MTV

10x6-1/2.

10x10 wheels with standard rotors are interchangeable with 6” wheels/brakes/torque plates and they have more than enough stopping power for a heavy Cessna. In fact with Bushwheels or 29” Air Hawks the best feature is improved braking, and Bushwheels are a little better since they’re 10# a side lighter.

I bought a set of the smooth 8.50 x 10 tires, thinking I’d switch when these treaded tires are worn out. I may not live that long….. The smooth tires are lighter, how much I don’t know.

Running these at 15 psi, there is a noticeably smoother ride than 8.50 x 6. That said, I’m not doing no joke rough stuff at all. If you’re going there, in a 185, Bushwheels may be the best answer.

MTV
Also if your going in the rough with a 185, you should consider the Ponk landing gear beef up kit. https://pponk.com/landing-gear/

Called grove this morning. They do not have any of the Grove 10 in rims 28-1027B in stock plans on doing a run in early next year they will put you on a waiting list. Called Seaplanes North again. They said they do have some on order that have been shipped but not received. You can get yourself on a list there also. If you did get them you could just do like I am going to do and keep your old tires and rims in the hanger as backups in case you have a issue they have another long delay in production.
DENNY

Back