• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

3mm Control Cable

bertievdbunte

Teuge, EHTE, The Netherlands
Hello,

My other plane is a glider, a 1957 Slingsby T.21B "Sedbergh". Currently its overhauled, but I the control cables I installed are too weak.

The current cable is 2,4mm (3/32) and as a strength of 920 lbs. The minimum according the handbook should be 1119 lbs.

I can order thicker cables (3,2 mm / 1/8") but they won't get over the pulleys. I know there are cables out there with a thickness of 2,7 mm or 3,0 mm with enough strength.

But there it is: I can't find them. Anyone ideas?

Thanks.
Bert

Standard aviation cable sizes are 3/32 & 1/8. If you find some in between cable size you will not be able to find the proper size terminal ends for it and stand a very good chance of the ends coming loose or failing. Just replace the pulleys to match the 1/8 in cable.

It's British cable. They define their cable by it's strength in cwt (hundred weight). I think the cable you need is known as 9 cwt cable. Read wikipedia for a definition of cwt.

The size you have is used for Tiger Moth control cables and there will be suppliers in the UK. Try lightaircaftassociation.co.uk; they have a list of suppliers there. I could list a couple of New Zealand companies that might be able to help, but since you're in Europe you're better to get some from the UK. Google is your friend..... You could try the UK Moth club for a lead on suppliers.

Andrew.

Back