• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

180hp in a PA-12

aztecf

MPLS, MN
Does anyone know of an STC for putting a 180hp in a PA-12 other than the one from Crosswind STOL.

Thanks Jeff

Dan's Aircraft http://www.dansaircraft.com/ is either finished or about finished with a new STC to install an O-360-180 in PA-12's. It uses a Cub style front end and should be more affordable then the other option. Should make the PA-12 one heck of a three place machine. Crash

Dan's is a good place. I just wish they would have finished up their STC prior to me selling my 12. I had some work done by them 10 years ago with great results. One thing for sure is they likely did everything right in their engine/mount/cowling setup.

Talked to Dan's Aircraft today, the feds guaranteed them final paper work by March 15. If you go to their web site, click on photos and go to page 3 the picture in the lower left corner, shows the cowling used with the 180hp.
I plan on ordering a new O-360-A2A and going ahead with the conversion.

Jeff

Jeff,

This is good news, I have been talking to Dan's for about a year and half about their 180 conversion and the word has always seemed to be that they were very close and that approval could be any time. I think they have been very frustrated by the delays. Did they by any chance say what their conversion kit price was going to be?

Rod

pa12 - 180

any idea on cost of the conversion as i am either going to a 0320 or 0360 on my 12. if i go to a B2B 320 160 with original long mount and cowling is the Kenmore stc good on edo 2000 floats. anyone have a good 320 out there for sale?

Brian, the Kenmore STC does not support 160hp models, I know the STC just says O-320, but they have updated the supported -numbers and they are all 150hp. They did not have a firm price at Dans but were talking in the 8K range which included a new mount, cowling, airbox and paperwork. The prop required is around $3800, new exhaust $1650 for suttons-$3750 for leading edge, It starts to get pricey for 30 more hp. Crosswind STOl has a 160hp conversion $2200 which includeds the short mount, but "NOT" approved on floats.

Jeff Beaudoin

P.S Brian, I am in the metro area, used to have a 12 out at surfside, PM me I'll give you my phone#

I was in Willow some time ago and there was a 12 there with an 0-360 180hp in it. As I recall I was told it was a one time stc and the aircraft owner was looking to get a multiple stc approved that he could sell. Havent heard anything more ????? but good to have more than one option for
this mod.

180 HP STC for PA-12

Does any one have recent info on availability of 180 HP STC for PA-12?
Appreciate any help

Crash said:
Dan's Aircraft http://www.dansaircraft.com/ is either finished or about finished with a new STC to install an O-360-180 in PA-12's. It uses a Cub style front end and should be more affordable then the other option. Should make the PA-12 one heck of a three place machine. Crash

I heard Dan's sold this to Univair. Since Univair owns it it will probably not be affordable anymore.

Back