• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

160-180HP Super Cub at High DA

Utah-Jay

Heber City, UT
I am wondering how a 2000# GW Super Cub with 160-180HP handles high density altitudes? I am in Utah and home base is 5500’ with some some DA’s in the upper 8K’s and would be higher in some of the places I would be looking to land.

Thoughts?

I am wondering how a 2000# GW Super Cub with 160-180HP handles high density altitudes? I am in Utah and home base is 5500’ with some some DA’s in the upper 8K’s and would be higher in some of the places I would be looking to land.

Thoughts?

A 160 hp Cub will do fine with just pilot, gas and a little gear. Put a 200 pounder in the back, and you’re going to need a bit of runway, as in it'll be a little "pigish".

No experience with 180 hp Cubs at this DA, but assume they’ll be quite a bit better.

The right Propeller is going to be a big deal. And, frankly, high DA is where a constant speed propeller really starts earning its keep.

MTV

Last edited:
I’m in Utah at high DA too. My Cub started out with a 108hp engine. No good at all for Utah. Then I had a 150hp engine. It was adequate in the summer if loaded light, but climbed like a dog with full fuel & camping gear. Now, with the 180hp engine, I love it & the extra hp gives a bit of a margin for climbing over obstacles. If you’re going to fly with 2 people in the plane, you won’t be happy with the performance of a 150hp Cub in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

180 hp. At 1950 lbs I find that the climb really drops off above 13K msl. I average 10 min (400 fpm) from 8500-12500. It takes another 11-12 min (250 fpm) from 12500 msl to 15500 msl. This is with fairly warm temps starting at 75F and mid 40sF at altitude.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Back