• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

Years ago a Swift was wrecked here on it's first flight after being assembled. The ailerons were hooked up backwards. Fortunately it went into a sand pit upside down and the pilot only got a broken collar bone. He, a WW2 ace, was extremely lucky.

Very sad , the complacency when rebuilding and then also preflight. How many people looked at this aircraft and elevator was still backwards.

What a crying shame. Sadly, this is a reminder that high speed taxi tests prior to first flight can be helpful.

HMMM I don't think a high speed taxi test would be relevant in my humble opinion. IF you don't hook it up right and check it for being right , IT AINT RIGHT. don't taxi don't fly don't use until repaired correctly. very easy to check , pull back on stick elevator goes up push forward elevator goes down. This has happened way to many times to people who don't know what they are doing, and get in to big of a hurry and then either they or someone else who did not do a thorough preflight dies. It is up to the PIC to make sure the aircraft is safe for flight.

HMMM I don't think a high speed taxi test would be relevant in my humble opinion. IF you don't hook it up right and check it for being right , IT AINT RIGHT. don't taxi don't fly don't use until repaired correctly. very easy to check , pull back on stick elevator goes up push forward elevator goes down. This has happened way to many times to people who don't know what they are doing, and get in to big of a hurry and then either they or someone else who did not do a thorough preflight dies. It is up to the PIC to make sure the aircraft is safe for flight.
You're correct, of course, HOWEVER - - checking work by multiple entirely different means can reveal errors that have escaped us even though they *should* be obvious. I have always done high speed taxi testing of flight control correctness (among other things) before any flight that follows work on the flight controls.

You're correct, of course, HOWEVER - - checking work by multiple entirely different means can reveal errors that have escaped us even though they *should* be obvious. I have always done high speed taxi testing of flight control correctness (among other things) before any flight that follows work on the flight controls.

A proper control check will reveal any improper control connections. In a cub, look out the door at the tail to verify rudder and elevator correct, look out the windows at the ailerons to verify they're correct. A high speed taxi won't do anything this procedure won't do, and a high speed taxi MAY result in liftoff.

And, a control check is NOT just for when the controls have been re-rigged.

Terrible accidents these, and so easily prevented.

MTV

I do a control check every time before I fly. I stir out the stick for free movement and then look over my shoulder at the elevator and ailerons to verify correct movement. The rudder is verified during taxi.

I agree that high speed taxis are of little value.

I wonder if A&P schools ever rig planes wrong for the students to discover? This is no mysterious event and we all either know or have heard of this happening. Maybe not being a pilot is a contributing factor for some that do the maintenance?

Yes preflights by pilots have their place as well.

Gary

exactly! what I always worry about doing.... I always like to walk over & verify against a flying plane or 2...

Further examination revealed that the elevator control cables were improperly rigged, such that they were attached to the incorrect (opposite) locations on the upper and lower elevator control horn.

that an incorrect statement..... the cables were attached to the wrong END FITTINGS that in turn were attached to the PROPER horn ends.... I worry this one, on every one....

What is it about a PA-12 that seems to make it susceptible to having the elevators hooked up backwards? I believe that there have been four of these accidents all fatal, since I've been associated with SC.org. None of the other PA-xx models have had this situation in that time frame. Hooking up controls backwards has always frightened me. Particularly since I knew personally of a Swift's ailerons being done backwards, not fatal but plane destroyed. ALWAYS move the controls while looking for proper direction, particularly after maintenance.

What is it about a PA-12 that seems to make it susceptible to having the elevators hooked up backwards?
My current 12 has a PA 18 elevator setup but the original has a rod hooked up to a bellcrank under the rear seat/ baggage area. Can't remember which way the bellcrank went with control inputs but maybe that is the culprit.

Last edited:
12s more susceptible to this problem? Maybe, maybe not. Because I fly one, anytime PA12 is mentioned my ears perk up. Could just be a matter of perception.

Didn't we have a 12 in the last two years or so have the same problem during it's maiden post rebuild flight at Merrill? Same unfortunate outcome.

The one time I didn't sweep the cockpit before liftoff, my controls jammed to where I had no left aileron beyond stick vertical. Was a rare no wind day at Wolf Lake and landed uneventfully. Did an immediate search for a gremlin and found it. A pebble, sized and shaped like a pencil lead was in the groove of a pulley under the rear seat. I could have obviously overpowered the pebble IF I knew what it was. But I wasn't interested in possibly causing further loss of controllability in that situation.

"Controls FREE and CORRECT," every flight, every time.

I always taught 'Thumbs Up'.
With a control stick, grasp it with your thumb pointing up. When you move the stick, your thumb will be pointing at the control surface that should be 'up'.
This also works with a control wheel. Perfectly on the ailerons. You just have use a little more imagination with the elevators. I always said to point your thumb the direction, fore or aft, that you are moving the wheel. So, when you move the wheel aft, your thumb will be pointing aft at the up elevator.

Well unfortunately we know where many of these peoples thumbs were. if you don't understand your flight controls and what and where they are supposed to do and be at then you should not be flying.

With side by side seating 'up yours, up mine' also works if somewhat inelegant! Full and free before taxiing and before take off.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/NT...arbon-monoxide-levels-in-blood-421046543.html

NTSB: Pilot killed in September plane crash had high carbon monoxide levels in blood

In addition to the damaged muffler and exhaust issues, the NTSB said that they could not find evidence that the airplane was equipped with any type of carbon monoxide detection devices which could have helped alert the pilot before they reached the levels that led to a 48 percent count in his blood.

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/690*458/damaged+muffler+ntsb+photo.png
The NTSB released this image of the damaged muffler can. "Areas adjacent to the missing material had white, oxidized exhaust deposits. Cracks and corrosion on the interior surface of the exterior shroud in an area under a riveted doubler were also seen," it said.

Last edited:
IDENTIFICATION
Date: 08-MAY-17
Time: 20:37:00Z
Regis#: N245KW
Aircraft Make: PIPER
Aircraft Model: PA18
Event Type: ACCIDENT
Highest Injury: SERIOUS
Aircraft Missing: No
Damage: SUBSTANTIAL
State: IDAHO
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT ON LANDING WENT OFF THE RUNWAY AND CRASHED INTO THE FIELD, COEUR D ALENE, ID

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 29-APR-17
Time: 01:00:00Z
Regis#: N82563
Highest Injury: NONE
State: ALASKA
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT ON LANDING, GEAR COLLAPSED, BIRCHWOOD, ALASKA
INJURY DATA

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 29-APR-17
Time: 01:00:00Z
Regis#: N82563
State: ALASKA
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT ON LANDING, GEAR COLLAPSED, BIRCHWOOD, ALASKA
INJURY DATA

oh, I had seen that one "for sale" for a while.... next to where I park and eat my lunch.... they were loading it with clam digging gear last time I noticed a week or so ago.... spendy clams....

Last edited:
IDENTIFICATION
Date: 07-MAY-17
Time: 02:45:00Z
Regis#: N47KJ
Aircraft Make: EXPERIMENTAL SUPER CUB
Aircraft Model: SUPER CUB SPORT
State: UTAH
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT ON LANDING, GROUND LOOPED, SPANISH FORK, UT

Alaska plane crash

Last updated at 3:45 p.m. on Saturday, May 27
Two people are confirmed dead and one is in critical condition following a fatal plane crash near the small Southeast Alaska community of Haines.
The crash happened around 11 a.m. Saturday, according to NTSB Alaska chief Clint Johnson.
Witnesses reported the plane crashed shortly after takeoff.
Two of the occupants were confirmed dead at the scene, while a third person in critical condition was flown to Juneau, said Johnson.
The plane was a twin engine Piper PA-30.
NTSB officials out of Anchorage and the Alaska State Troopers out of Juneau are investigating the crash.
No further details have been made available at this time.

FOLLOWED BY:

Sole survivor of deadly plane crash said pilot intentionally shut off one of the aircraft's engines

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - The sole survivor of a plane crash near Haines last month told investigators that the pilot intentionally shut down one of the engines, according to a report made by the National Transportation Safety Board.
The plane went down on May 27, claiming the lives of the pilot and another passenger. The third passenger, seated in the rear of the plane, a Piper PA-30, survived the crash with “serious injuries,” the NTSB report said.
David Kunat of Juneau was piloting the plane along with Stanley Su Quoc Nguyen, 29, of Garden Grove, California and Chan Valentine, also of Juneau. Valentine was the only one to survive the crash.
In the NTSB report, which is comprised of preliminary findings and is not a definitive conclusion, it states that Valentine told investigators that, just prior to the crash, Kunat was attempting to show the passengers a piloting procedure.
“About 20 minutes into the flight the pilot intentionally shut down the right engine and was demonstrating how to restart the engine during flight,” the NTSB wrote.
Valentine reportedly told investigators that, after shutting down the engine on purpose to illustrate how a pilot can then restart it, “the engine would not rotate through with electrical power to start the engine.”
Attempts were then made to “air-start” the engine, by climbing in altitude and then diving the airplane down to “use airflow to assist in rotating the engine,” however this was unsuccessful.
Valentine told investigators that the last thing he remembered was the pilot making a low-level pass on a gravel airstrip to verify that it could be landed on. Kunat’s intention was to then “use a battery booster located in the baggage compartment to start the engine.”
The report also says a witness located across Lynn Canal, which is about 2 miles east of Glacier point, watched through binoculars as the plane crashed. The witness told investigators the airplane “reached the end of the airstrip, descended just before it banked to the right, and subsequently impacted the shoreline in a right wing-down, nose-down attitude.” The witness then assisted with rescue efforts for those aboard the plane.
The NTSB said that the investigation “revealed impact damage consistent with a right wing-down, nose-down airplane attitude during ground impact.” They said the wreckage was recovered for further examination.

Back