• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

fuel system

gdkl

I am building a PA-11 replica with a C-90-12f, and I would like to receive comments on what I am planning for the fuel system.

My tanks hold 15 gal. each, with front and rear outlets and vented caps ( 90 degrees forward). Using only the rear outlets and capping the front outlets, I plan to run the aluminum tubing (3/8) around the rear windows, and for the left tank, along the fuselage, below the window then to the fuel selector. The right tubing would cross the fuselage at the end of the baggage compartment, then run parallel with the left side fuel line, to the selector and down to the firewall and fuel strainer. I do not plan to use header tanks.

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

GDKL

GDKL-

I would not re-invent the wheel. Do a search on here and read up on headerless system and systems with header tanks. Then decide if you want R/L/Off or R/L/Both/Off.

Those are your main design inputs you need.

Again....use the search function, just make sure you check "select all terms"

Tim

I think you probably also want at least ONE of the tanks to have a forward outlet, regardless of fuel selector setup. And, I would think that having BOTH tanks plumbed with a forward pickup would be a good idea with a headerless system.

MTV

Sounds like a accident waiting to happen. If you go headerless you need to pick up fuel at all 4 corners. Send me your email, I got some photos that may help.

I don't get why you would cap off your front tank ports. Most people would desire that, not disable it? Just do the Cub Crafters style fuel system.

Picture this, if the forward outlets were blocked off and you were in a low fuel situation returning from a trip over the hills, you are in a glide down to the traffic pattern, all of the fuel would be in the forward part of the tanks, the outlets would be above the fuel level, air would enter the fuel lines, you enter the pattern, the air enters the carburetor, SILENCE in the traffic pattern. This is the reason for the header tanks. Or you are practicing spins, the same situation arises, the fuel will be forward away from the outlets at the rear of the tank. Air in the lines!

I plan to use two forward facing air vents on my fuels caps.

I realize now that blocking the front outlets is a mistake and will avoid it. But then, do you run the front outlets fuel lines towards the front along the windshield posts and where do they join with the rear pick-up fuel lines. I do have in my possession a 2 gallon header that I could use upfront.

And lastly, which is preferable: on/off fuel selector or L-R -Off selector.

I will do some checking on past comments regarding this matter in order to guide me. I am looking for a simple, foolproof fuel system.

Thank you for your inputs.

GDKL

Here is a link to a photo of the fuel plumbing in my Exp PA-11.
http://www.supercub.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=14338&ppuser=3231&sl=d

I ran the aft lines just as you described except that the left aft line runs down the vertical post in front of the D window. Try to keep the right rear line running continuously downhill to the fuel valve when the airplane is in the 3 pt position.
The front outlets run down the windshield posts. and the right side crosses behind the instrument panel
The front and rear tank outlets from the each tank joins at a Tee right at the fuel valve.
Be sure to do fuel flow tests before first flight to ensure adequate flow in all attitudes and low fuel states.

Thanks Dave G. Two questions: do you interconnect the 2 tanks for equal venting. And as for the fuel selector , do you use a L-R-Both-OFF selector , simply an ON-OFF fuel selector or a L-R-OFF. Also confirm you are using vented fuel caps, 90 degree bent forward.

GDKL

gdkl said:
Thanks Dave G. Two questions: do you interconnect the 2 tanks for equal venting. And as for the fuel selector , do you use a L-R-Both-OFF selector , simply an ON-OFF fuel selector or a L-R-OFF. Also confirm you are using vented fuel caps, 90 degree bent forward.

GDKL

if you have a BOTH position you need an interconnect up HIGH where it will not have liquid resting in it.

Don't fool around when it comes to fuel system. Use a tried and true method. If you don't want a header tank, then go with the cubcrafters system. It will answer every question that you have and the best part is that you will be able to sleep at night knowing that it is right and that you won't have any problems.

header tanks

In Europe the headerless system is placarded for minimum 7 gals in left tank for take off. More than one accident has been attributed to headerless planes trying to run on air,

We had a PA-12 quit on long final with an hour;s worth of fuel in it.

First thing we do is install a header tank.

Just my opinion.

When running a headerless fuel system do you leave it on both all the time or just for take off and landing.
I find i like knowing i can burn all the fuel from one side and still have a known amount left in the other side.
Just curious how you guys fly and manage a headerless system?
thanks in advance for your comments,Aurele

Back