• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Battery location in a PA-12

Marc Olson

GONE WEST
Seattle, WA
My -12 is in for annual, and one of the 'problems' identified is that the battery location (and battery for that matter) weren't properly approved or installed.

You can see the current installation here:

http://www.supercub.org/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album14&id=aan

Given the current W/B for the plane (it uses the Kenmore STC for the O-320) moving the battery back to aft of the rear seat would make sense. I don't think there's room under the seat.

The original battery box has been removed--does anyone know the original location and/or had luck (or an STC) for putting it just aft of the rear seat?

Marc

Marc,
If memory serves me, my original was in the fuselage behind the baggage compartment, and was accessed by a sheet metal door on the right side of the plane. I have no idea if it was original Piper or not. I probably still have the door assy. and the box/shelf. I'll be out where the old fuselage is in a day or two if you need more info. Let me know.
SB

Marc,
I have a very original 12 and the battery is located behind the baggage compartment accessed through a hinged door. But what a major hassle to install it and everything that goes with it. It sits on a frame work with a sliding tray, mine does anyway. I can take extensive pictures and send them to you if need be. If you have a solid metal baggage comp. ,put it back there. Its close to the original location. We had a similiar situation.
Not going to be easy to put back original. Use caution where you run the positive line because of the original 12 gear (pinching). If you have a 18 gear no worrys. Maybe all the hardware and mouting metals are still back there.

I helped get a Field Approval on installing a Hawker battery on it's side under the back seat. I can get copies of the paperwork if you would like.

The plane has -18 gear and a full metal extended baggage. There's certainly room behind the seat, but the original battery box, access door, etc. is long gone.

My hope is we can put something behind the rear seat in the baggage area, but how to do it without making it original or an STC may be tricky.

Marc,
My PA-12 had a PA-28 battery box located behind the back seat when I bought it. The previous A&P/constructor had welded in three braces to hold the battery box on top of the 1/2" plywood floor.

I can provide you a copy of that 337 if you would like. I ended up putting my battery on the firewall in order to move the CG farther forward and get the battery inside the preheated area of the plane.

How far forward is your empty except pilot CG? There's nothing but oil and the pilot that can be added ahead of the PA-12 CG, so if you're in envelope with the pilot on board moving the battery aft shouldn't be required from a CG point of view. I'm not an A&P, but I think there's something in the rules about objects behind the crew requiring greater attachment strength than those in front.

Kenneth

A supercub battery box might be the easiest assembles to get ahold of, the comanche battery box is also perfect. I really don't think anybody is going to argue with putting it back where it was originally. How tough is your AI? Use big ground lugs and Copper wire for the full giddy up. I guess it boils down to do you need the weight in the front or the rear.

Here is an area that definately needs someone to make an STC, it would sell for sure because the original pa-12 battery installation was awful. I have seen a few under pax seat lightweight installations that are very functional.
Is that Marc O. the welder from Kapowsin?

Thanks to all who offered to help with 337s and drawings for approved installs. Given the other problems found during the annual, we're going to defer changing the current system as it's not really an airworthiness issue.

I'll use the great info everyone sent to be able to come up with a plan for replacing this next winter.

Marc

Old thread that keeps coming up. You can use AC 43.13-2B Chapter 10 to install the battery with a logbook entry. Here is the field approval I helped with back in 2004.

Attachments

• PA-12 Battery Relocation.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 298
I've also gotten a field approval for an under the back seat install with an Odyssey battery . Mine is dated June 2017 if anyone needs it. It may be awhile before I get back to my books to make a copy but pm me if you need a more current 337.

Back