• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Battery location PA12

streetreamer

Keweenaw, MI
I'm currently recovering my pa12 and I can't find any paperwork on my battery location. It's currently located behind the rear baggage compartment and as it is, my CG is good. I was thinking I'd keep it there but am open to change. I've heard of the under the seat stc's but is there one for behind the baggage compartment or would I need a field approval to keep it there? I'm thinking of switching to the Odyssey from my gill 35 and from my search it appears that I could do this with a different mount? Are there multiple stc options on batteries and locations? Anyone have any good suggestions on what I should do?
Thanks,
Tom

Read AC43.13-2B chapter 10. Have your mechanic decide whether it's a minor or major alteration. If he thinks it's a major have him read the opening paragraph of the AC for direction on how to use the AC as approved data for return to service. An IA can sign it off, no field approval or STC required. At least that's how my mechanics have interpreted it for several years.

sounds like your battery is in its original location, no paper work at all needed to leave it as it was built by the factory. I just switched to an Odyssey in my 12, using the existing battery box in its original locations by simply adding some foam shims in the box to make up for the now empty space. Since the battery is an approved battery for a pa-18 and pa-19, we did it with just a log book entry and a new weight and balance since it saved 12 pounds.

I was under the impression the odyssey was approved for a pa12 also. Looks like I'll have to stick with the gill. Has anyone gotten a field approval for it? I was looking at saving weight but without the stc I think I'll just leave it as is.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC 43.13-2B.pdf

From pg 108-
1004. AIRCRAFT STORAGE BATTERYDESIGN AND INSTALLATION.a. Lead Acid.
(1) Each aircraft storage battery, whetherapproved to a Technical Standards Order (TSO) ornot, must be designed as required by regulation andinstalled as prescribed by the manufacturer.
(2) No explosive or toxic gases emittedby any battery in normal operation, or as the result ofany probable malfunction in the charging system orbattery installation, may accumulate in hazardousquantities within the airplane.
(3) Corrosive fluids or gases that mayescape from the battery may damage surroundingstructures or adjacent essential equipment.

An Odyssey battery is a lead-acid battery. It uses AGM (absorbed glass mat) to contain liquids so it can't spill or overflow. In normal use it doesn't out-gas. It can be installed in any position except upside down.

Do you have an O320 and a long mount? I do and moved the battery under the pilot seat. I am considering moving back into the baggage area for CG considerations.

I put my Odyssey under the rear seat of my -12, and my CG is still farther forward than I'd prefer. (short mount, lightweight starter and alternator, Borer prop).

I have the long mount and 0320. My cg is good now so I don't want to move it forward. I also may eventually go back to a heavy constant speed prop like I had before I decided to bend it so farther back is better. Does everyone interpret the regs to mean I can put an odyssey in there with just a sign off? It says on the aircraft spruce order page that an stc is needed. I appreciate the feedback.

I obtained a field approval because of structural considerations for moving the battery, however I'd pay close attention to what Stewart B posted.

Read the link above, AC 43.13-2b chapter 10, para 1004 a., and 1006, you can install any lead acid battery as long as it's per manufactures instructions.. no TSO required according to para 1004.

Last edited:
I will order an odyssey. I just couldn't wrap my head around why it says you need approval on the battery 'buy now' page of aircraft spruces site and why they have stc's for batteries. This following rules stuff is confusing sometimes.
Thanks, Tom

I will order an odyssey. I just couldn't wrap my head around why it says you need approval on the battery 'buy now' page of aircraft spruces site and why they have stc's for batteries. This following rules stuff is confusing sometimes.
Thanks, Tom

It's 'path of least resistance' when they deal with the feds. It's our call, as A&P's as to whether something is a major or minor (FAR 43 appendix A). But saying that you might need paperwork such as an STC/field approval gives them cover with the legalities.

Web

To each there own but I rarely fly -12 empty. Forward EW CG means I can load it up. I have short mount & Oddessy under pilot seat with FA Dodge STC. Eat two less cheeseburgers and it's mox nix.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back