• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil Filter

stewartb

Sadly my dynofocal mount has a tube that prevents using the standard 48108 filter. I had to find a shorter filter that fit under the tube so it could screw on. The picture shows a Wix 51311 filter. K&N's HP-1109 would have been a better choice (nut driven, safety wire drilled) but it's no longer available. Anyone else run into this issue? What did you do to deal with it? I'm okay using the Wix filter (it turns out it's made for a Bobcat. Bobcat...Wildcat...) but if there's a better solution I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Are the Challenger oil filters the same height as the Champions?

Attachments

• IMG_2985.jpg
    IMG_2985.jpg
    625 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_2986.JPG
    IMG_2986.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 169
Last edited:
I have the Challenger filter. During assembly I ran into the same issue you're now seeing. The Challenger is shorter, fits great, and seems to work very well (as advertised).

I have a Airwolf remote filter mounted to the firewall. A little heavier I'm sure, but I really like it. No mess changing the filter and easy access.

do you know the height of the housing? I can check one in person in a few days but if anyone knows I'd appreciate the info. Their website doesn't help.

Just ordering the BC700-1 from Aircraft Spruce for the 1974 PA18-150. I see that there are 3 spacers available, 2.5in, 1.4in and 0.75in. Just curious if anyone has travelled this route and knows if I will need one and if so which one. As an aside the Challenger lifetime filter looks pretty impressive.

Spacers? I had no idea they existed but one of them could solve my problem, sort of. My Superior engine uses a stud in the lower left position so changing that would be necessary in order to fit a spacer. That would necessitate pulling the alternator and mags to reach it. And then to remove a case stud from a brand new engine. New problem. I think I'll leave the adaptor as is and settle on a shorter filter.

PS, My 0-320 on a conical mount didn't require a spacer.

Last edited:
On a stock Super Cub if you use a 45 degree angle on the oil cooler line no need for a spacer. You do need soft lines though.

The Challenger filter is 4" tall which includes the 1"he for installation and removal. It is 3" across.

The Aircraft Spruce agent in the UK has them listed so they should be available from Aircraft Spruce in the US

http://shop.airworlduk.com/index.asp?function=search

Their part nos are 300997/0.75in; 300998/1.4in; 300996/2.5in.

It turns out Casper Labs also makes spacers for their adaptors. The B&C ports are milled slightly differently so with a Casper adaptor I ordered a Casper spacer. I'll be able to use the 48108 filter after all.

My misery continues. The 1 1/2" spacer allows the standard 48108 filter to clear the mount with ease.... but the 410H spline-drive alternator won't fit with the spacer in the way. Obviously I didn't see that coming. Ugh!

Anyone used a spline-driven alternator on the hydraulic pump pad? What's involved with the required "special" adaptor?

Like I said in post #1, the HP-1009 would be ideal but it's been discontinued. K&N doesn't make a replacement with the same base and height. WIX and others make a canister filter that fits but none has a safety wire provision like the K&N HP series. I'm sorting through the process to try to identify the best compromise. Thanks, though.

Like I said in post #1, the HP-1009 would be ideal but it's been discontinued. K&N doesn't make a replacement with the same base and height. WIX and others make a canister filter that fits but none has a safety wire provision like the K&N HP series. I'm sorting through the process to try to identify the best compromise. Thanks, though.

Worm clamp ( dryer hose clamp ) around filter to wire to?

Glenn

That's the easy solution but I'd prefer not to use it unless I have to. I just got off the phone with B&C. Great company. They're going to mock-up the alternator and oil adaptor on a 3/4" spacer to see if it fits. If so I'll mill the 1-1/2" spacer down. I'm committed to the alternator so the oil filter adaptation is all about trial and error to see if I can make an aviation filter fit. Ideally that's a Champion 48108-1. I haven't given up yet. There's a fine line between fun and frustration!

By the way, B&C says the hydraulic pad adaptor is a pricey contraption that moves the alternator back about 2". No room for that. They also make a drive extension for the vacuum pad that moves the alternator back 3/4". No room for that either. But for guys who have room, there are options.

PS- B&C just called me to report their mock-up using a 3/4" spacer works. Barely, like by 1/16". I'm not positive the filter will fit with 3/4" but it's the next thing to try. What a GREAT company to deal with!

Base diameter. And I'd assume the base gasket diameter, too. I talked to K&N and the only applicable replacement is an inch taller, essentially the same as a Champion.

Thats strange because casper told me to use the 1002. Maybe im not up on the motor and adapter your using? In your first post you say 1109 then in post 13 you have 1009. lots of 1009s available. Must be old stock?

Last edited:
Typo. I meant 1009. Where are they available? I've searched a lot of places and nobody has stock. And any stock will be short lived since they quit making them.

Interesting that Casper recommended the 1002. It's 3/4" smaller diameter than the 48108, 1009, WIX 51311, etc. I'll try to find one locally. Are you using the 1002?

The 2004 is too tall for my application. That's the one K&N recommended to me.

Still curious about the 1002. I never considered it because of the base diameter. If it works it'll solve my problem.

Stewart, the base diameter of my adapter is 2 7/8ths inches. Were not connecting on something here but we will prevail.

I'm just going by the Champion 48108 that's supposed to fit on it. That's what I've based the entire filter search on, right or wrong. Not near the plane so I can't measure my adaptor right now.

My problem was primarily with engine mount interference. Alternator interference was coincidental to solving the first problem. Leave Mike alone for a few hours and stuff gets done. The spacer is milled to .85" and the alternator and Champion oil filter fit. Problem solved. For future SQ and Rev 2 builders, the 3/4" factory spacer should work.

Sorry for the sideways pictures. Posting pics here is a pain.

Attachments

• IMG_3057.jpg
    IMG_3057.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3056.JPG
    IMG_3056.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 154
Last edited:
You could have at least shown a picture of my nice shell mill i finally had a reason to use, thats been hanging on the wall for a decade ;-)

IMG_9781-1.jpgCUT2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9781-1.jpg
    IMG_9781-1.jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 146
  • CUT2.jpg
    CUT2.jpg
    704.9 KB · Views: 138
Back