• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA22 Tanks in Super Cub

Jim Miller

Normandy TN
I will be using one left side only PA22 fuel tank in my exp cub. Since it has fuel lines on both front and back of tank and I plan to run both into a tee at the cutoff valve-do I need any header tank? My feeling is no, but wanted to verify.

Thanks
Jim Miller

If i was you id put one in. Also a vent from the header up to the top of the sight gauge. If you only have fuel in the left wing and real low on gas, whats going to happen if you are in a real long left turn? doug

Hopefully he keeps the ball in the center so the long left turn will not effect the fuel system.

One thing I can't figure out is how does the Pacer and Tripacer get by without a header tank. Even though they have left and right tanks they only use one tank at a time.

Jim Miller

Coordinated turns won't get you but a steep slip to a landing would. I guess that's why they have flaps, so they don't have to slip. ...Clyde

PA22 Tanks in a Supercub

My PA-20 is placarded take-off and landing - left tank only. !! The left fuel tank has fuel lines on the front and back of the tank. The right fuel tank has a fuel line only on the front of the tank. Many people have modified the right tank to have fuel lines , front and back.

And also in a tripacer its called fuel management. Run one out by mistake you switch over to the other tank than hit the starter. Try swithing tanks and hitting the starter with only a tank in the left wing and no electrics.

PA22 Tanks in a Supercub

I have owned my Pacer for over 42 years and always run my tanks dry in flight. I have never had to hit the starter to pick up fuel to re-start the engine in flight. It always re-starts in less than two seconds. There is no reason to hit the starter !

What brought this question initially is the only supercub I had looked at closely is a very early uncovered one at our field. When I saw that it had only one fuel tank (Left) and it had only one fuel line output (rear) I thought that maybe this is why it needed to have a header tank. My Colt has two tanks both with front and rear fuel lines. Also as everyone knows no flaps if that makes a difference. I therefore was hopeing that if I used a Colt left tank and plumbed both outputs I wouldn't need a header. The PA-22 is also limited to no takeoffs or landings on right tank with less than 1/3 full due to fuel line routing not the number of fuel lines as it has two on the right tank. Is the need for a header based on tank height relative to carb in the cub or possible maneuvers the cub would do that a PA20 or PA22 would not.

Thanks
Jim Miller

Jcrowles, when you run one tank out, tell us-me exactly what happens? Im not trying to take this anywhere so bear with me. Usually low on fuel wing low, slipping or just plain runs out of gas? Prop stop turning? When it starts in 2 seconds, prop still windmilling? My c-150 I never did run a tank out, always switched back and forth.

I ran my Clipper wing tank dry all the time and switched to the nose tank. I do the same on my Pacer right wing tank because the fuel line routing is so conveluted it is placarded for level flight only with a third of a tank. The engine sputters, you switch tanks and she is running again. Takes a millisecond. It sure gets the passengers attention though. :eek:

Here is a good thread on the topic.

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=217

Jim, That SC should have a smaller line from the front fitting of the tank. With two 3/8" lines I don't know why it wouldn't work. Might make for an interesting experiment. :eek: :lol:

Steve
You are right. I forgot to mention the vent from the sight gauge to vent the header. There is no other actual front fuel line. This is a very, very early SC I am looking at. I may give it a try without the header using the two 3/8 fuel lines the PA22 has. I have a feeling that maybe since Piper made the early SC with only a rear line and header they stuck with-it in later models that went to two left tank lines and one right side line because it was easier than getting reapproved and added to safety in extreme maneuvers. Low weight is very important in this project and I can't see how it could differ from how a PA22 would function with this fuel set-up.

Jim

Sorry to get involved here, I just keep reading the first 8 words of this thread, and went through a similar situation. Let me know how it turns out. please

Steve, Doug
In looking at the PA-18 parts manual Fig2 page 1 the drawing isn't totally clear but item 51 (fuel strainer assembly part # 72091-00) serial #'s 18-1 thru 18-468 list one per ship. I will look again at the local PA-18 which is in the serial number group to verify that it has no second (front) fuel tap.

Thanks
Jim Miller

PA22 Tanks in a Supercub

Tempdoug : I have run the right tank dry in straight and level flight and also in a turn. The engine sputters and quits, but still windmills and as soon as I switch the fuel valve , it fires right up. A word of caution !! Be damn sure your fuel tanks are clean !! If you have any crud in them , you may have carburetor problems in flight -- when you don't want them. This is said not to scare you, just to make you aware that the tanks have to be clean. John

I have a 22 tank in the left wing and a 12 gal up front but switch from one to the other when needed and when I take off and climb real steep on either tank if low on fuel it will sputter but when you lower the nose (real quick - it gets your attention) it comes right back. I would consider a header tank. Kenny

TempDoug
I read the link you posted. Seems to be a controversial subject. What is the headerless system being referred to? How would it compare to what I had in mind for my single left tank only system? Is it two tanks with four 3/8" lines always running on "Both"?

Thanks
Jim

This was discussed in the Cub Club newsletter a few years ago. If my memory serves, some early Pa-12s apparently did not have a header tank. And only one rear fuel line on the sole rt. wing tank. The engine would quit on an extended glide due to lack of fuel flow. the small headers only had about 15 mins of fuel and so would also 'run dry' on a long extended glide with the nose down. The solution was a front fuel line on the tank. Or raise the nose to get fuel flowing through the rear line which would be kinda tricky low and slow.

Back