• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Elevator gap seals?

CptKelly

GONE WEST
NC
A friend of mine recently told me that the best way to improve elevator authority at low speeds was to seal the gap between the horizontal stabilizer, and the elevator. He went on to say that most guys use some sort of tape to do this.
Where can I get some of this tape for my Smith Kit, and how to you apply it?

Thanks,

Mike

I've heard tell of using some wide, clear packing tape with plenty of slack in it so the elevator still has full travel. Might not be the smartest way to test it, but It works. About the only noticeable difference was that moderate turbulence tried to yank the stick out of the grasp of the pilot in this particular aircraft. Might be different in others.

I'm going for VG's on the tail as well.

gb

No offence but use the right stuff it will cost you a woppin $65.00 and it will be done rite

hottshot said:
No offence but use the right stuff it will cost you a woppin $65.00 and it will be done rite

I agree totally and wholeheartedly. I'm not sure which of the Piper fleet can legally carry that little mod., though.

gb

behindpropellers said:
Actually the best way to fix a smith cub is weld the tail back on in the right spot.

I hear there is another way. Got it on my desk. :wink:

Wup, Are you talking about the gap seals from Maule?

Aren't the hinges on Maule's strap hinges like on the Aviat products? There are foam gap seals for the Pitts, but the gap between the horizontal and the elevator is narrower than on a Cub.

John Scott

Longwinglover said:
Aren't the hinges on Maule's strap hinges like on the Aviat products? There are foam gap seals for the Pitts, but the gap between the horizontal and the elevator is narrower than on a Cub.

John Scott

Not sure .... "Strap hinges" ..... :morning:

Wup,

I sense that I have left you confused over "strap hinges". I've spent 30 min. searching the net for a picture. Couldn't find one!

Essentially the Cub "pin" style hinges force the surfaces apart the width of the hinge "tube". The "strap" hinge on the Pitts et al is a design that allows the surfaces to be much closer together at the hinge line. A picture would be worth 1000 words!

I did find this link for gap seals, but they won't work on "pin" style hinges.
http://members.aol.com/danrihn/gapseal.htm

John Scott

Back