• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuel Flow sensor

paul romine

indy
Here is a question I can't get a straight answer on.
But, I know you guys can answer it.
Can you put a fuel flow sensor on a gravity feed fuel system without a fuel pump?

YES! I use the EI in several gravity feed planes.

Works like a champ!

sj

Yes, both EI and JPI have fuel flow sensors which work just fine on gravity flow systems, even at very low flows.

My preference is for JPI, but both these companies make fine equipment.

MTV

We have Dynon's fuel flow on a gravity system. We haven't the fuel flow needed to meet the flow requirements with the meter installed .
I believe we propped the aircraft 15 degrees as in a climb. A 180 hp engine is capable of burning 90 lbs of fuel per hr. A gal. of fuel weighs 6.01 lbs. 90 divided into 6.01 = 14.97 . The minimum safety margin in gravity feed systems is 1.5 times the max burn rate. 15 X 1.5 = 22.5 gal per hr.
With the fuel flow meter installed we both ( two planes) got 18.75 gph. Upon removal of the meter we were capable of flowing 33.75 gph.
We haven't had a chance to look into another type of flowmeter, that would be compatable with a dynon.
Ron

I have the JPI on mine. It works very well -- keeps accurate track of fuel used and remaining, endurance and, with a simple interface to the GPS, fuel to destination, MPG time remaining and reserve.

Carbureted systems are much less precise that fuel injected systems that I have more experience with for real time read out but aggregate numbers are very acurate.

Flow is flow. 10 hours to dial in the K value and follow the specs to the t about where and how you refuel for accuracy. In the PA 12 (JPI 700) I put the full tank value at 35 gal and the low fuel alarm at 7 gallons for added safety. I logged the next 10 hours of refuel, what it took and what it said it should take, for evaluating the accuracy.

We spoke with Dynon about the fuel flow meter restricting our fuel flow. They haven't heard of anyone else testing actual fuel flow. They were not aware of Canadian regulations requiring such a test. At a minimum flow rate of 18.75 gpm they could not see the problem using an 0-360.
Question, does anyone on this site use a Dynon fuel flow meter on an 0-360? Do you guys, with or without a flow meter, preform any sort of fuel flow before taking to the sky's?

Back