• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Best and worst paint schemes

S2D

Montana
Although I used to think the 60's and early 70's piper paint scheme was the "only" one, I am starting to like some of the 50's schemes as well.

Personally, I think the 77 scheme with only the top stripe is Pipers worst.

Well, I'm prejudice :crazyeyes: , I like the scheme on my plane. Which scheme did Piper use for the longest time on Super Cubs??

I prefer the scheme on the Cub heading the top of this page. NO, not my avatar photo, but the curvy scheme on the advertisement painting at the heading of this topic page. I hate the time it takes to mask those "french" curves, though.

The "SteamCub" scheme is a close second favorite of mine if the top of the cowling is black, spinner polished, and air filter dome red...Not like I'm being particular or anything....

Dave Calkins.

Oh....and the early scheme needs to have white or a light cream base color. I dislike the darker creams, yuck, yack, ralph.

supercub said:
Well, I'm prejudice :crazyeyes: , I like the scheme on my plane. Which scheme did Piper use for the longest time on Super Cubs??

That would have to be the 60's to mid seventies red and white wouldn't it.

I believe so, my cub is a 1968 model. Not sure when and how long they used that scheme. Would be interesting if someone could post the different schemes and the years they were used. I haven't ever seen it in any books or articles in the past.
Brian

It would be nice to document all the paint schemes and colors that were used by year, I don't think anyone has ever bothered to do this. All the old ads people have been posting may be the best reference that exists. The early years seemed to have a different scheme and colors every year. I know mine left the factory a lovely pea green. The first 18's were yellow, some of the early 105's were yellow with blue stripes (PA11, PA15,17 colors, but I'm not sure of the striping), I think? I do like the old swooped 50's scheme like on this page, just because you don't see it often, but when you do, it stands out from the crowd.

I think the swooped scheme was '58 or '59... I remember that one of my Dad's customers bought a brand new '59 Apache and it was this scheme...

Your right Cubby, the early swoopy Apache scheme is a lot like the one on the Super Cub, and looks very good on that airplane. They were rolling off the assembly line at the same time, and if you have ever spent a lot of time with the Apache, there are a lot of similar parts with the Super Cub. Hell, when the Apache is light, it will get in and out real short.... Ahh, the memories....I think the early Commanches had a similar scheme...(Please note the attempt here folks, I DO like some other airplanes, and am not just a Super Cub Snob).

SuperCub MD said:
Ahh, the memories

OK, OK, you beat it out of me!... The real reason I remember this Apache so well is that Dad had me do the first 25 hr. oil change on it... It was white with chocolate brown trim... When I went to pull the left engine cowl I let the screwdriver slip on the slotted camloc and grooved the brown paint... My Dad was not a happy camper trying to find a brown to match the Piper paint on his customer's brand new airplane... There, I admit it, now I don't have to go to therapy tomorrow!...

Does that mean you get to keep your cub too............hope so!! :lol:
Brian

The '57 paint scheme was attractive too... In the very early '60s, my Dad bought two '57 Super Cubs on floats in a bankruptcy thing and kept them on the Oakland Estuary... He had to stay below the pattern of Alameda Naval Air Station on departure which required flying under the Bay Bridge... Those were good memories sitting behind my Dad in those Cubs...

Ahh the memories Cubby. If you did the oil change, I bet you remember fighting the pressure screen off that left engine from behind the extra brackets and the dual vac-hydro pump adapter, (I understand those rare dual drives are almost priceless nowadays), and if you ever fought the whole cowl and those pressure baffles off and back on, I bet it left a lasting impression, if not a few scares....OK that's enough remonising(sp), like someone said, off topic!

(But just to save this post from being completely useless, if someone has one of those old left engine Apache dual pads, it may be benificial to someone who wanted to add a extra engine driven accessory to a Super Cub.)

Mark !! that was one nice change the Geranimo conversion did, was to improve the cowlings. All cam locks, took about 15 minutes to remove and re-install vs 1/2 a day on the originals. I think it was just a 2 piece cowling too. The first apache I ever instructed in had only one vac, and if I remember right, one engine driven hydraulic pump. Your workload could increase significantly if you lost that engine. They were a great trainers and not because of there performance, like so many say, but because of their systems. If you learned and understood the systems on an Apache, you probably wouldn't have much trouble with other twins. The actual single engine performance wasn't all that bad either, I've heard lots of people say, all the second engine did was to lengthen your glide......and that's not true. I remember one day, granted just myself and the student, but the OAT was 100 degrees and we were able to maintain and maneuver at 3500 ft with one engine set at zero thrust, and that's not bad. Yep, those were the days LOL
Brian

Speakin' of paint jobs, SJ, can you give us the link that shows all the planes on the intro page with some references? I saw one earlier that I want to copy, but have almost wore out my "refresh button" trying to bring it back up. I've gotta do a repaint, you know. If I can find the picture and the plane's owner, then maybe I can get several pics to copy.

murph

The color combinations are listed in the parts manual, about page 3 or 4, I think. The scheme isn't shown, though.

My favorite colors and scheme are shown just to the left of this post!

Anne.

I agree with you Ann!!.......that's one nice paint scheme and I really like the color too. :lol:
Brian

Nope, that one next to Major's post is definitely yellow and black.

Anne, that spinner's gotta go red or polished. White is so plain.

Funny how your mind tends to like what it is used to seeing. Something about recognition?

Dave Calkins

The Cub Club had prints of the SC paint schemes from the fifties through the early sixties. I bought prints some time ago, and while helpful, were badly smudged and difficult to read. I wish the prints they offer could be reproduced in a clearer manner.

That's Daytona White, not just plain white. And Tennessee Red, no ordinary red. I like my spinner the way it is - guess that's the way I'm used to seeing it.

And I agree with Diggler - yellow for Cubs, white & red for Super Cubs.

I just put new seats in, and they look weird. I got black because the Oregon Aero red didn't match the rest of the interior at all (it's red, just a different red). The old seats were red (they matched the interior), and now I've got to get used to black seats with red interior and red seat belts.

Anne.

Ok that settles it !! the majority agrees that Cubs should be White and Red, and the fatter they are the more reddddd! Soooooo the tee shirts should show a white and red cub!

Sorry Steve, Murph, Andy, and some of you guys that need to get a paint job on the cub!

Tim

I like the little picture of Mikes yellow Cub sitting in the snow. If he had it painted white, we wouldn't be able to see it.....

The added black from the cowl and wing covers makes the yellow look cool. A little glossyer than standard "cub yellow" I would say..

When I bought my cub the two things I didn't like about it were the color and type of finish. It's Stits Aerothane in Lockhaven Yellow and Dakota Black.

Since then I've grown to like both of them. The cover work was done in 1989 and still looks pretty good (see photos on p. 73 of Supercubs galore) even though it probably hasn't spent more than a half dozen days indoors since then. Admittedly, it is harder to match paint on repairs, but the few repairs I have made to the fabric turned out okay. The color is practical in an area with lots of snow and stands out a bit better than the traditional red and white during the rest of the year.

When I recover it, (hopefully not for several more years) I will probably paint it in the same colors and style with polyurethane paint. It may not be traditional, but it works for me.

Ohhh no, no, no, no, no. You can't be having any red seat belts.

Well, it does look strange, but they looked fine with the red seats, and that's what came with the plane. When I redo the fabric (whenever that might be - it's in good condition now), I'm going to add shoulder harnesses, so I'll change over to black belts then. That's the problem with red - too hard to match (or even come close).

Anne.

annestoy said:
When I redo the fabric (whenever that might be - it's in good condition now), I'm going to add shoulder harnesses, Anne.

Anne, I wouldn't wait till I recovered it to add the "shoulder Harnesses"!! the second most critical safety item in a cub is a good shoulder harness!! The first being a "saftey concious pilot"!

I highly, highly recomend the Amsafe retractable setup! Being you are experimental you can put the attach point in however you choose! I would find a good Tig welder and put in the proper tubing (if necessary) it can be done with the fabric/skylight in place and do it sooner then later!

I don't mean to scare anyone, but I had the unfortunate task of pulling my "dead" friend out of a cub that he put on its nose! He would not have been killed if he had have been restrained in the seat instead of putting his head through the plexi and the windshield tubing!!

You do wear a shoulder harness in your car don't you??

Tim

Back