• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What are stock gear legs for a PA-18 worth?

Well first off is it stock 12 gear or is it been changed to 18 gear? If its 12 gear u mayb get some for free around someplace but could b hard to locate, far as 18 gear stock length u mayb find a old earlie set that not airworthy for 100 bucks? Thats only reason i keep old gear or stock gear around.

For a datapoint, I sold my like-new Airframes stock length HD PA-18 gear for $500 (legs only). I still have the factory original gear off my '54 A model. It's worth more to me in convenience than what it's probably worth in dollars to have as a "dolly" in the shop when I come off floats as with little tires it sits low for easy work access. I don't bother with the cabane or struts, just stick a 2x2 between the axles and cross strap and roll around wherever you need to go. No tail wheel required either, but a wood block back there is helpful to keep frame off floor if not on a horse. Just saves time as no need to install the extra pieces if going back on floats or just using as a "dolly" as described.

TR

Well first off is it stock 12 gear or is it been changed to 18 gear? If its 12 gear u mayb get some for free around someplace but could b hard to locate, far as 18 gear stock length u mayb find an old earlie set that not airworthy for 100 bucks? Thats only reason i keep old gear or stock gear around.
Yes I’m building a cabane setup and converting it. It’s experimental. Thanks

For a datapoint, I sold my like-new Airframes stock length HD PA-18 gear for $500 (legs only). I still have the factory original gear off my '54 A model. It's worth more to me in convenience than what it's probably worth in dollars to have as a "dolly" in the shop when I come off floats as with little tires it sits low for easy work access. I don't bother with the cabane or struts, just stick a 2x2 between the axles and cross strap and roll around wherever you need to go. No tail wheel required either, but a wood block back there is helpful to keep frame off floor if not on a horse. Just saves time as no need to install the extra pieces if going back on floats or just using as a "dolly" as described.

TR
So $200 sounds fair for old stock gear. I’d build a fixture and make it adjustable so I can make any length I want. That’s how I build control arms for race cars. Thanks all.

Back