• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trans-atlantic in cub?

Jerry Gaston said:
My dream has been to ship my cub to Europe and then fly it to the tip of
South Africa sell it or give it away and come home on the tube. Anybody up for the adventure? :D

Me too, but there is a lot of trouble between Greece and SE part of Africa. Got any ideas about how to actually do it? Furthest I've been in the Cub is Ireland to Albania, and Reggio-Calabria in southern Italy by Sicily.

Jerry,

I am game and I live in Spain so I can get lot's of logistics in place if needed.

I will be flying my cub to Dakar in October and I am planning to get to Kenya the the Rift Vally all the way into Tanzania for next year, so I can begin the ground work on those trips.

Fastest way to cross to Africa is via Marrakesh, but gas supplies is scares there after. My headache is getting this gas supplies assured just to get to Dakar.

PM if you really want to discuss this :)

Jose

Me too, but there is a lot of trouble between Greece and SE part of Africa. Got any ideas about how to actually do it?

Avgas is the problem in Africa. There are two guys here at my local airfield in the UK who have ferried a lot of small singles through Africa and can give you the skinny. I can put you in touch if needed.

Bernard Chabbert's Electra, the one used in Amelia, was effectively kidnapped in West Africa and not released before a $10K+ 'fine' was paid. Tough place to fly for pistons these days. Here's the story: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i5262a3b026dcf171acea0764ae107d67

Seaworthy, I have one of those citabria belly tanks. It is 90 gallons, plus the 70 gallon wing tanks in the scout.... That would be good for 16-18 hours??

It would fit champs too, if any one is interested??

Back