• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Spinner or spinnerless

harneymaki

Esko, Minnesota
I'm putting togeather a list of must order parts for my PA 18 and wondering if I need to buy a new spinner or just do a really nice job on the saftey wire? Pros and cons please.

Thanks

Check the TC.

Some engines do not like being with out a spinner. The spinner pushes lots of air into the cowl, increasing the cooling on the engine.

With the 180 hp I did not need a spinner, and did not install one. It looked unfinished to some, and just plain mean to others.

Mine (beauty that she is) just has a pink air filter cover thingie screwed on over the prop hub. Kinda looks like a Piper Mammary. Maybe that's why I call 'er her. I was thinking of a (single cup) bra, but figgered the straps would get tangled, & being a guy, I like 'em exposed anyway.

Got one you can have. No back plate. Came off mine so it should fit yours. Let me know if you want it.

I think as a general rule you will get better cooling with a spinner. Might get less drag also.

Im trying to get this. So the air that normally hits the 8 inch center of the prop is going to jump out 2 feet and go around the outside of the cowling? doug

tempdoug,

No, it will just be smoother, less turbulant air flowing better through the cowl. Some engines dont care, some do !!

Ive allready convinced myself to go spinnerless, because like metal bungee covers its just more stuff to come loose or in the way. if my cub had a jet engine or 180 hp maybe id have to rethink things. 90hp, there isnt that much happening up there is there?. what i am im trying to figure out though is if a spinner will actually help the preformance of a propeller? anybody? I wonder if Jerry B has one on his J3? He always says everything has to carry its own weight or its not there. doug

I actually prefer the look of spinnerless, but if there is a function other than to reduce drag, I'll replace mine with a new one.

Back