• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Shoulder Harnesses.

gli77

SPONSOR
Good Day,I am looking for some input on shoulder harness tabs and shoulder harnesses. Its for a PA18 certified. I've seen the Atlee Dodge and the Airframes Alaska. Are there any others to consider? Any pics of installation would be greatly appreciated.What are the favorites out there for harnesses?Thanks

Lou - best way to hook up the crotch strap? Do you just off-set it, or put a "Y"in?

I agree with the Hooker style - it is all I will use, although mine are Air Force and Silver Parachute.

This is what you get from the Wag-Aero shoulder harness installation kit. This was originally used with a fixed seat belt not the inertia real setup shown here.

photo.JPG

Jason

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    699.6 KB · Views: 154
Its for a rebuild, so I'm putting in a bit more thought into it.

Looking for the best options, especially for the welded tabs.

If you are doing the job, copy the airframes or any other. A cross tube is installed with a tab, they mount behind the seat...

Be sure to go for the enertia reels. I didn't and wish I had. The reason is when you are strapped in tight as you should be can't reach the flap handle, or at least I can't.

I did them like Airframes does theirs. Cub Crafters has a clamp on kit but I prefer a weld on in a rebuild. Univair has a better engineered attachment for the rear but adds some weight. It is a plate that runs all the way back to the vee where the flap cables split.

If your lap belt attaches to the pilot seat, make sure to weld short tubes inside your pilot seat rear vertical tubes that attach to the fuselage tabs. Re-drill existing holes. Examination of old wrecks often show that the rear tubes of the pilot seat "rip" out at this point..... letting the pilot's upper body move forward.

For the front seat lap belts on my Pa11 I took 1/8 cable inside vinal hose and went around the cross tube that suports the rear stick bearing, made a nicopressed loop on each end.

Glenn

I have the Hooker Aerobatic/Military style (wide) takes a while for them to break in a bit, but no complaints.

If your lap belt attaches to the pilot seat, make sure to weld short tubes inside your pilot seat rear vertical tubes that attach to the fuselage tabs. Re-drill existing holes. Examination of old wrecks often show that the rear tubes of the pilot seat "rip" out at this point..... letting the pilot's upper body move forward.

The PA-12 has a different seat arrangement. It is really a goofy front seat mount. You can not weld "liner tubes" into the rear tubes. The best way to do it is to weld tabs off the lower frame that come up thru the floorboard and attach the lap portion of the seat belt to that. I wish I had done this on my -12 when I was in that point of the restoration. There are always the "If I were to do it over again, I would do..." This is one of them.

I fly Cubs with inertia reels and Cubs with Hooker style. I prefer the Hooker by a bunch - I actually hate the inertia reels for several reasons, not the least of which is it drags the lap strap up to an unsafe position. Shoulder straps do not have to be really tight. Lap straps are the important ones, and some of mine have ratchets.

I was thinking about adding in the crotch strap for my harnesses. I have inertia with regular lift buckles. My lap belt is already hooked up to fuselage tabs (not seat). For the crotch, what do you guys think about attaching to front of seat base? Seems if your main lap belts are attached to fuselage that insures your seat isn't going anywhere.

Christian

The purpose of the crotch strap is two fold. It will prevent "tunneling" where your body slides forward and down ending up in a ball under the instrument panel. And it will keep the lapbelt assembly from riding up and being too high in a mishap thus causing internal injuries. The best protection is when the lapbelt is quite low so that it engages the hip structure Vs the stomach. Unfortunately the torque tube makes it very difficult to mount a really strong and secure crotch strap. The good news is that tunneling is not a big issue in Super Cub accidents so you can mount the crotch strap to the seat tube and it will quite nicely do the job of keeping the lapbelt/shoulder harness assembly from riding up. Worked for me.

My opinion only

Bill

Thanks Bill. I have spoken to someone who was in accident and said if had a crotch strap would have probably walked away. What you said happened to this person and slid through lap belt and the lap belt broke several ribs. Same thing happened to pilot and passenger.

Looks like I will need to retro my belt system because my current buckles are not compatible with 5 point. I have http://aero-tuff.com/ belts. I phoned them and as always are very pleasant to work with. They would retro my belts into a military style 5 point for $80-100 per seat. I might go with that.

I was thinking about adding in the crotch strap for my harnesses. I have inertia with regular lift buckles. My lap belt is already hooked up to fuselage tabs (not seat). For the crotch, what do you guys think about attaching to front of seat base? Seems if your main lap belts are attached to fuselage that insures your seat isn't going anywhere.

Thats what I did. Keeps you more upright in a crash. Saves the jewels from impacting the stick. Not to mention negative G inverted manouvers.

Lou

Back