• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rudder pedal springs

S2D

Montana
Has anyone come up with a better rudder pedal spring?
I'm sick of these Piper ones. I've got my rudder pedals shimmed so they feel perfect, then I put the springs on and they feel like sheet.

I got some extra tension on mine by twisting the spring up, & over the bottom cross member, which also gets 'em out of the way of the hold-down clamp thingie. Put a piece of rubber/plastic sleeve on 'em so not to chafe the cross member. I like the feel better now.

da pedals

Hi Wayne!

Aren't those springs just a bitch? I talked to Univair some time ago about making their springs comply to the drawing, but they were not interested. I think I knew a guy once or heard of him anyway, that moved the little wire that runs on the clamp about an eighth of inch to give the spring the room it needed. You didn't hear that from me though....mb

I'm sure there is a spring out there made for something else that would have one twist on each side of the pedal upright to pull the pedal evenly.

something on this line
torsion-4.jpg

I may try these guys and have a set made from Univairs with one less winding
http://www.springsfast.com/springs-products.htm

Re: da pedals

Michael E. Butterfield said:
I talked to Univair some time ago about making their springs comply to the drawing, but they were not interested ....mb

What is different between theirs and the drawing?

da spring

The drawing shows the coils tighter wound and touching each other. The actual spring has a gap between the coils which pushes the rudder pedal to the side rubbing the wire stop on the clamp and loading the pedal where it shouldn't be. Good luck to us all.mb

Ha
I said like that Not exactly like that!
:D

original_spring_001.jpg

original

spring_-_rudder_001.jpg

double torsion with one less coil.

My SC will only have the front pedals, but thinking the ones with two sets of pedals could get by with two less coils

Mike if this the drawing you are talking about, they look spread apart to me< but I agree, closer together would help.

like michael said........ sometime in the 90's? univair started making/getting screwed up ones that were spaced WAY to wide.... pain to install, compaired to the real ones.....

you could always make a simple mandrel and make your own..... no rocket science to it, and you can't screw them up any worse than univair has been for years.......

http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/intro.html

http://www.advancecarmover.com/porter.html

sounds like a great candidate for owner produced parts to me.... "hey make me some springs like this that actually work"

S2D, sounds like you're thinking fewer coils = less stiff? It's the other way around; more coils = less stiff. If I misinterpreted what you're saying, my apologies.

12 Geezer said:
S2D, sounds like you're thinking fewer coils = less stiff? It's the other way around; more coils = less stiff. If I misinterpreted what you're saying, my apologies.

I don't care how "stiff" they are, I just want them to fit and go on straight so they don't bind up the whole mess.
But are you telling me if I drop another coil, they will have more return power (torsion) for the same size wire?

Yes, that's right. The reason is that with more coils you're effectively bending a longer piece of wire, so it's 'floppier'. Also, by putting a set of coils on each side you end up with twice the stiffness of a single set of the same coils. Thing is, both springs are then operating in support of each other and the effect is additive. So if you're designing new double springs, you'll probably want to use a smaller diameter wire.

might get interesting trying to slide the double spring over the rudder pedals though without distorting them. :-?

Sharp

sharp said:
might get interesting trying to slide the double spring over the rudder pedals though without distorting them. :-?

Sharp

crap
you just had to screw up my idea didn't you :roll:
now I gotta go back to the drawing board

What if there were no return springs? Flown some airplanes with little springs attached to the firewall from the top of the pedal. The wind load and foot pressure should keep the rudder centered.

Do-able, but looks like crap with the rudder cables sagging below the fuselage back in the rear. (and probably not legal, but when has that ever stopped anybody)

gonna order some tomorrow $15 ea. I came up with a way to install them.

S2D: Sorry to rain on the parade initially. But when you get some ideas, I'm ready for a solution on an experimental.

Sharp

sharp said:
S2D: Sorry to rain on the parade initially. But when you get some ideas, I'm ready for a solution on an experimental.

Sharp

OK
I'm ordering a small batch. If they work, I'll let you know.

I like Steve's idea.

I've even seen a few like he describes and never seen
any sag or slack in the rudder cables.

But anything has to be better than original :wink: .

Brad

brian,
heck it ain't no problem,cut it at the cross tube ,refit,slide the spring on,tig it back together,try not to over heat it!!!!! may hell gett'n back on though,just try'n to help!!!

jr. :eek:

jr.hammack said:
brian,
heck it ain't no problem,cut it at the cross tube ,refit,slide the spring on,tig it back together,try not to over heat it!!!!! may hell gett'n back on though,just try'n to help!!!

:D :D

hmm center spring leg is tall enough.... I bet it will fit with a little pressure..... no cutting & welding needed...

jr.hammack said:
brian,
heck it ain't no problem,cut it at the cross tube ,refit,slide the spring on,tig it back together,try not to over heat it!!!!!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 8)

That looks better 'n the original style, but how do you get it ON??

surprisingly, had enough stretch to fit right on. Can't test it mounted yet cause I won't be home for another month.

Hi
Great idea...just wondering though...what about two separate springs, a left and a right on the same pedal. Would that be easier to install?

ohansen said:
Hi
Great idea...just wondering though...what about two separate springs, a left and a right on the same pedal. Would that be easier to install?

It took about 5 seconds to install, and about 2 minutes to work the coil over the stop on the one side. So my question would be - why?

Back