• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Removing Horton STOL for Sportsman?

Buschpilot

FRIEND
Worthington, IN
I am curious about how much work is to swap a 185F from a Horton STOL kit to a Sportsman? It's time to decide on the annual upgrade, and wondering if this is something I should consider, or forget about. I've also struggled to verify if the Garmin GFC 500 STC covers a 185 with the Horton installed, but admittedly haven't worked that hard at it. If you've made the swap, I want to hear how it went!

Probably not worth it. The Sports Man Kit is great , but not worth it if you are already Horton equiped.
Spend the Money on Gas:cool: Cheers...

A bit off-topic, but can anyone provide the stc number for the Owl STOL kit ?
Note- I'm not planning on installing one, just curious as to who owns it now,
so you don't have to bother telling me the sportsman kit is better. :rolleyes:

FWIW I just googled Horton STOL, in case anyone is interested it looks like this outfit owns that stc now:

I did this a couple months ago on a late model 182. Had about a day in removal of the Horton leading edge. About 40% of the rivets were countersunk cherry max and those were a giant PITA!! You could not drive the steel stem out and drill them because the leading edge would just bounce when you hit it with a punch. I took a flap disc wheel and went at the heads of them until they were gone and then punched the tails back into the wing. I would say removal time depends on what it’s got for rivets.

The Sportsman is a great STC, but I personally wouldn't remove the Horton/Owl/Mid-American kit and replace it. James Spikes won at least 8 STOL competitions including multiple times in Valdez with a Horton wing.

Now adding Wing-X... that's a different story!

Just for some balance in this thread...There are many reasons to remove "airworthy mods", however, the most important reason is the owner-operator desires something else. This is what makes capitalism work. What one likes, another does not, and we are fortunate to have choices. I removed an airworthy brand X cuff off my wagon over 20 years ago to install the Sportsman. I did it because that is what I wanted. Is it work? Yes, however, that is a relative term IMO.
The "work" was worth the reward to me and in the end that is all that matters. I would do it again. Your money, your choice.

TR

Just for some balance in this thread...There are many reasons to remove "airworthy mods", however, the most important reason is the owner-operator desires something else. This is what makes capitalism work. What one likes, another does not, and we are fortunate to have choices. I removed an airworthy brand X cuff off my wagon over 20 years ago to install the Sportsman. I did it because that is what I wanted. Is it work? Yes, however, that is a relative term IMO.
The "work" was worth the reward to me and in the end that is all that matters. I would do it again. Your money, your choice.

TR

Absolutely the best response to many questions. Thanks!

MTV

Absolutely the best response to many questions. Thanks!

MTV
I am very practical sometime and forget that a lot of folks (and the gov't.) that own Skywagons have a lot of disposable income. I was speaking from a real world usefulness position only so I'll apologize for not considering that angle.

Here's a cross section pic of the cuffs from Stene Aviation. Click on it to enlarge.

Gary

Attachments

• sportsmanairfoil_856f96e0-5e2f-43c9-a1f5-d2547b042209_grande.jpg
    sportsmanairfoil_856f96e0-5e2f-43c9-a1f5-d2547b042209_grande.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 31
Back