• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Questions about Insurance and operating costs for a PA-18

wyocubdriver

Yakima, WA
Hello again... I recently contacted the man that owns my grandpa's PA-18 105 special and he is looking at selling it to me. I have been looking at insurance carriers and i have called AOPA, EAA, Butler Brown, and Avemco. I have no time in a cub, but the best quote i received was from Butler Brown. I was wondering if you guys would know of any cheaper carriers out there? I was also wondering what the fuel burn on an O-235 Lyc is? I have never owned an airplane before and i am doing some research to figure out what she will cost me in maintenance and operations. Thanks a lot!
-Max

I figure on 6gph for my 0-235, and usually end up somewhere between 5-6gph.

Good luck !

Bob K.
Anchorage, AK

I burn six and half per hour in my 12 turning 2450. I pay nine hundred a year for around 45k hull value with Avemco. Figure at least a grand a year for annuals maybe more depending on overall condition. I would still treat this possible transaction at arms lenght. Doing a prebuy as if you did not know the plane or its history makes good sense. Obviously if the seller has a 12 in stack of receipts and the plane is impecable than you can let your guard down a little. Good luck and what an opportunity.

Some of the costs you'll have include:
Fixed
Hangar
Insurance
Semi-fixed
Annual inspection
Variable
Fuel
Oil
General maintenance (tires, brakes, misc repairs)
Reserves (engine, avionics, recover)

What you'll get in exchange for all that includes:
Great lifetime friendships
Wonderful adventures
Sense of accomplishment
Connection with your Dad

Hard to put a price on them!

Eric

I don't think you can operate ANY airplane for much less than you can operate a PA-18-95. Just do it! The connection to your grandfather should make the decision easier. If it's not in great shape the price should reflect the condition. A Supercub rebuild returns more value and satisfaction than most. Don't let it get away! Great first airplane! Bill

You only come this way once. If you don't buy it you will spend the remainder of your life regretting it.

Seaworthy said:
You only come this way once. If you don't buy it you will spend the remainder of your life regretting it.

Now that is excellent advice! I flew a -105 all day Saturday and enjoyed it. Nice airplane. Performs pretty well out of a grass strip with two adults and full fuel. Not as sprighty as the -11, mind you, but a joy to fly.

I budget 3k for maintenance, insurance and hangar. My PA-11 has the mo gas stc, so we bulk buy for our tank on the field. I do owner assist annuals and am blessed with an AP/IA who supervises the maintenance.

What that airplane gives back in sheer fun is beyond any price tag I could assign to it. :)

I second that. The only caveat would be those darn toe brakes - an easily fixable thing.
Talking to a friend the other day who owns a Tango Cub - he went flying in a heel brake Cub and couldn't believe how light and responsive the rudder felt. I always thought it was my imagination that I couldn't get a fully developed slip in the toe brake model, but he reported the same thing. Next thing you know, he will be making conversion kits!
You cannot go wrong with a lightweight, low power Cub - unless you are hauling moose out of the tundra.

Thanks for all the great help! Do you know of any good airplane financing programs out there. I am trying to get a hold of this thing at all costs!!
Thanks again
-Max

Airfleet Capital is opne of the bigger ones, but they will do financing down to a $50K purchase. Nothing lower though.

http://www.airfleetcapital.com/

You want to talk to Jim Blessing.

Dorr Aviation is another: http://www.dorraviation.com/matriarch/default.asp

Here's their loan calculator... http://www.dorraviation.com/matriarch/MultiPiecePage.asp_Q_PageID_E_7_A_PageName_E_LoanCalculator

Beacon is usually good with their rates too: http://www.beaconcredit.com/

Airloan is a SC.org advertising sponsor: http://www.airloan.com/ Watch long enough and you will see their banner add flash across the top of this screen.

Financing is not like the insurance, you can and should shop around. Rates are pretty good right now. Go for it!

I've had good luck with NAFCO but that was quite a few years ago.
Best way to finance though is with a home equity loan if that's an option for ya.

A good and much smarter than I friend once advised me to finance the initial purchase price plus whatever I thought I'd need to add or have done the airplane to get it the way I wanted it right up front. I didn't do this because I thought I couldn't afford it and ended up paying some big bills that I really didn't need at the time in a big lump a short time later. In this case, it was radios and a major overhaul I should have seen coming in the first year. I ended up having to refinance the airplane in order to cover it all and lost money in the process. Few used airplanes are perfect right out of the box. Plan on some costly work in the first year or two of ownership even if your grandfather's Cub is pristine. My PA-12, for example, was pretty nice when I bought it, but in less than six months it needed a new cylinder and some other stuff that added up to a $3,000 first annual. That's just the normal cost of ownership, but it is something you need to be aware of so you don't have a heart attack two or three times a year when things happen. Don't pay more for the airplane than it is worth on the open market -- your sentimental attachment will not translate into dollars when you decide to sell it later. I insure with Avemco. Costs me $1,400 a year for full coverage because I'm a relatively low time taildragger pilot with only about 300 hours in taildraggers and 200 hours in the 12. Lots of owners and pilots don't like that company because they are not the cheapest, but I've found them to be straightforward, easy to work with and the least restrictive (What good is insurance if it restricts you from landing your Cub on grass like some policies do?) Other than those caveats, it's what the other guys said: Life is good, but it's really grand when you own your own Cub. It just doesn't get any better.

I did my insurance through Davidson & Derion Insurance. Service was great, and best of all, he was at one time a cub guy.

http://ddiair.com/

I did my financing through Airloan.com (Red River State Bank). Three of us at work financed through them (172, Super Decathalon, C140, and my J3) and every one of us will say nothing but the best things about em. (the president is a fellow Cub owner/driver).

http://www.airloan.com

Like jrussel I have a sweet arrangement with a mechanic to learn as I go doing my own mx and annuals (while he supervises and shows me the tough stuff). Before I set this up, I was budgeting $2,000 a year toward annuals (on the save side).

Clint
1940 J3F-65 Cub

I have been looking at what Super Cubs have been selling for on controller, barnstormers, and ebay. But most of the ones on those sites are 150 hp Cubs. The plane i am looking at has 950 SMOH on the engine and has something like 2300 TT and has a new com radio. What is a fair price for a plane like that?
-Max

wyoflyboy172 said:
I have been looking at what Super Cubs have been selling for on controller, barnstormers, and ebay. But most of the ones on those sites are 150 hp Cubs. The plane i am looking at has 950 SMOH on the engine and has something like 2300 TT and has a new com radio. What is a fair price for a plane like that?
-Max

I would not go by the asking price, lots of those cubs have runout engines and old fabric.

105 special here just sold for 53K, good condition with a low time motor.

Tim

Back