• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Quebec Canada- Prince Gorge BC on floats. Fuel Stops?

Iliamna Alaska
I need to ferry a DHC-2 beaver on straight floats from 3 rivers Quebec to Fraizer Lake BC early May.
Any suggestion on fuel stops in route would be big help.

Jerry Jacques

Sudbury (Grassy Lake), Wawa (Hawk Lake) ON - Air Dale - for sure. Armstrong, Red Lake, Bissett (MB), Norway House, The Pas, Southend (SK) all have 100LL. Beyond that I was headed NW and you'll be going West.

a couple years ago i flew a c180 from that aera to yxl, no one would sell me fuel for liability reasons.if you can make it to perry sound you can get fuel their. i brought some cans with me and stopped along the way to top off the tanks as it was a stretch even with LR tanks with the head winds.If you get to yxl you will have no problem getting fuel.also if you stop in YRL fuel should not be a problem.once your in manitoba stay to the north and talk to the outfitters, most will help you out. the worst part is going around the great lakes for fuel and bumps.

nunavut 12 , i tried some of those places with no luck!call ahead to confirm with them before you stop.FYI Jerry the ice here has not even begun to melt infact we got more snow today,early May might be late May

Okay.... I did the trip in 2010 and had no trouble with fuel then. I'm surprised that things have changed that much in just three years.

i was a little let down to say the least.over here every body helps every body because you never know when the tables will be turned.it's no problem if your on wheels and can get to an airport.hopefully things have changed for the better but like i say call ahead don't assume.

I did a trip in a 185 on floats coming east from Smithers Bc to Nakina Ont. in 07, went from Smithers-Fort St John (had 40 gal. Of avgas with me in cans to fill up at the local dock at Charlie Lake, as avgas on floats was hard to get in Alberta in mid Oct., then on to Voyage Air in Buffallo Narrows(bring cash), then to Flin Flon(wings over kississing), then to Red Lake(Green Airways), then to Nakina (Leuenberger Air). Past Nakina you can stop in Wawa, North Bay, Chapleau, Cochrane, Temagami. This trip was going east but should work going west also. As cub12 said it probably won't be early May.

Thanks for the all the info it is a big help!

I will bring Cash,cans and call ahead.

I will delay the flight until the ice goes out. Hope for mid May but if it is the end of May that is what it is.

Thanks again

Jerry

i went fishing yesterday still 4' of ice and snow,the temps are slowly going up but still -15c over night. if any body wants to trade some green grass for my snow and ice, i am in!

I don't see ice out happening in Temagami until the 2nd week of May unless something serious happens weather wise Jerry. I hope to be there at camp on the 16th and I think I'm going to be cutting it VERY close, although historically the latest is about May 10th.

Lakeland Airways CNC8.. is the float base in Temagami. Right at the highway that runs thru the village and my own dock is just 4 islands out from the highway (in the take off channel) if you need to overnight (705-569-4448 ) Darren was shying away to commercial fuel sales due to liability bs that was going on... but if you call ahead 705-569-3455, tell him you're an aquaintence of Wayne O'Shea I'm sure he'll fuel your Beaver for you... with him flying same for his service. His wife's name is Robyn.

Attachments

• Temagami landing area map marked.jpg
    Temagami landing area map marked.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 188
BTW... if you did happen to go through Temagami.. and get stuck there for the night. If I'm not there at camp, Temagami Shores Resort is right in the corner above where it says HWY 11. Their docks fit a beaver perfectly between the fingers for a nice x tie. Cost you a 100 bucks or so for the night... but I'd rather put you up for free and offer you a meal and beer if we could !!

Thanks Wayne I hope to take you up on your kind offer

What dates are you planing to be there?

With the late ice Ishues I may delay till later in may or the first of Jun
I would love to meet up with you if you are around

Jerry Jacques

Jerry our hope is to be at the lake for May 16th. That is pending on what we get told at our daughters next oncology check up on May 14th, that could quite possibly throw a wrench into that happening based on what we learned yesterday at her Neuro-surgeon check up.

Phone number is there.. use it if you can... if you get the answering machine (or a person) we ARE in camp as it means the power is on. If the phone just rings, we're not there yet! Lots of room on the side of my boat dock for the Beaver if we can make it work.

The lakes here (siouxlookout) are still covered,it is just starting to leave the shore.We did have bad ice this year so hopefully it will go quick! being an outfitter this is not a good start to the season i have already cancelled groups that were booked for the 18th. call if i can help 807-737-1367

Ice is off the bay at my camp...should be off the main Lake (Temagami) by Wednesday or Thursday. Ontario is in a weird heat wave... so it should go pretty quick now.

Measured the ice in Nakina yesterday, it was 30 inches. We also moved groups from the first week to later dates. It may be opened by then.

Just flew last week, actually finished the flight Monday , from Nova Scotia to Prince George BC. I was surprised at how many lakes on our route were ice covered. Nova Scotia was about the only place that the lakes were clear. We got stuck in Wawa , Ont. for three days due to a stalled out front.

I was on a trip in northern Minnesota last week and ice was still on all the big lakes. Some of the smaller and shallower lakes and sloughs were clear. Ice went off the lake up the road here in Northern SD on Tuesday, two weeks ago.
I know this has to be impacting your guide businesses. Just a very strange spring. I do not believe I can recall one like it.
----tom

i think this is a record late ice out for us! calling for temps to get to the 70's by tuesday but opener is out, i just hope people are not foolish enough to tempt the poor ice. fishing is fun but search and recovery is not!

Jerry.. as noted, the ice is off Lake Temagami. Mind you it came back yesterday for a bit as it skimmed over and then melted again. I will leave a note in this thread the day I head for camp.. just so you know we are actually there in case your route takes you by.

rain and thunder storms today, the ice is moving with any luck it will be out for the weekend.I also talked with a few people in northern sask and manitoba and it sounds like the ice is out on lots of lakes over there. You might be able to make it before june!

the ice is out on all the smaller lakes here, i talked with some other operators in northern sask, it sounds like you should be good to go!

The ice is gone on lake Iliamna, Hood lake in anchorage is 50% gone and going fast.
I plan to fly from anchorage to Quebec and arive Thursday mid day. Will start flying north west first thing Friday
Hope to stop at Temagama for gas

12 days after arriving in Quebec I got the beaver to Anchorage.
Lost only 2 days to weather but lost 4 days with back/neck problems!

Met some wonderful people and enjoyed the country.

Stops at too manny places to remember
Steve at Air Dale was a big help, lake Winnapeg huge, at Red lake got to see a Norseman,Norway House Tribal people very friendly and helpful in getting gas, Muncho Lake good food/lodging, Whitehorse Alpine aviation was also a big help.

39.6 hrs flight time

I just got back also but drove up and back. Stopped at Muncho Lake going both directions and will make that a stop every time I go.
Sorry about your back and neck problems. I had back surgery 5 years ago and know all about that pain. Would not wish that on anyone.
Will be heading back up in a month or so. I need to recover some before I try that again. Lol

Jerry, if your back is to the point you need surgery give me a call. I am in the process of setting up to have a few of my disks replaced, they have been doing it in Germany for a long time it is not that expensive (figuratively speaking) you keep all your mobility and no more pain.

Back