• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pan Pan! Pan Pan!

CubDriver218

Minnesota
About a month ago I was flying along at about 600 AGL having some fun flying back to the Twin Cities from up north. The relationship between Tuff Tweety and myself is still fairly new and like most relationships it's started off very well, but time is what makes or breaks most relationships. All of a sudden I hear a very loud chatter and Bang! Bang! Bang! I'm no expert mechanic but it sounded a lot like rod slap or piston slap to me. I've had some oil consumption issues so immediately think the worst as I check all of my gauges which all read normal. So, I bring the throttle back and pull the nose up to slow the airplane down while I try to figure out what to do. A quick check of my invaluable 496 says I have a strip right off my right wing which is a big relief since I now think I'm going to live to tell about my first in flight emergency.

As I settle down with the field in site I look around to try to figure out what has actually happened because all my gauges read good and the airplane feels responsive to throttle inputs I notice that the weather stripping that goes around the windscreen had come off and was flapping in the wind banging on the top of the fuselage right above my head making and awful racket. I was only about 6 miles away from my home strip so I flew slow back to my own hangar to assess the damage. Not wanting to give up any flying time I simply put some Gorilla tape over the weather stripping to hold it down so I can fly until I fix it correctly.

Well the time has come to fix my weather stripping but the Gorilla tape has left and awful sticky gooey mess. I'm wondering what any of you experts would recommend to get this crap off of my windscreen with. I don't want to fog up or ruin any part of my windscrren since I value every inch of it because I do not have the square top windscreen on my 12.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago in about the same place. I had been up for the Winni ski plane fly-in and was on my way home. Very annoying -- but a huge relief when I realized that it could be fixed with a couple hours of my time.

Goo-Gone removes most sticky stuff, including residue from duct tape, etc.

Most hardware stores carry it.

MTV

Take a piece of new Gorilla Tape and dab the sticky side onto the adhesive stuck on the plexiglass, keep doing this and it should remove most of it and clean what's left with WD-40, the less you have to scrub the less you will scratch it.

Glenn

I thought of both of those possibilities but just wanted to confirm they are safe on the windscreen. Not sure if I remember correctly but I thought I used goo gone on a helmet in the past and had it mess up the clear shield. It could have been from too much elbow grease.
Thanks guys.

Enamel reducer is my favorite solvent for airplanes. For a quick and easy problem like tape residue I'd probably use a dab of gas on a clean white rag. Be careful with the fabric finish no matter what you use!

SB

Speedo said:
Is acetone compatible with plexiglass? Is enamal reducer?
I cleaned the canopy on my Pitts with acetone several times with no problems as long as I didn't let any drip on the Polytone.

Try your local electronics store, they sell a lable remover which the local avionics shop use to remove old certification lables. Smells like citrus, does not damage the faceplace of avionics.

Try google 3m citrus base industrial cleaner

pan pan

Stuff called OOPS works wonders ,but test first----I don't think it will attack the plexi ...Ace hardware carries it.......RC

Back