• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 mods: how much will this welding cost?

5/8 X .035 4130 square tubing from AC Spruce. It's what the STC prints call for.

A little more info; here's the McMaster Carr packing slip for the gas strut. I tried both 50 lb and 60 lb and prefer the 60, although the 50 is fine.IMG_20160804_163128768.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160804_163128768.jpg
    IMG_20160804_163128768.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
couple albums full of -12 stuff in my picasa.... https://picasaweb.google.com/101445937433180427570

slippery slope doing a -12.... lots of mods, and well as, we are doing this, so we might as well do that, $$$

One of the most fun things I have learned to do on my build is press forming (aileron/flap parts). 100 dollar Harbor Freight 20 ton press, 90$ Harbor freight air over hydrolic ram, chunk of horse stall mat and your in business. Great fun!! I cast aluminum dies for mine but I also found for a few items a piece of press board works as long as you place a stiff piece of metal between it and the ram. Good pictures Mike!

Thanks, Algonquin. Being Canadian, things will cost a bit more here, but this gives me a starting point. I don't want to take the fuse apart until I'm as sure as I can be that I can afford to put it back together!

One of the most fun things I have learned to do on my build is press forming (aileron/flap parts). 100 dollar Harbor Freight 20 ton press, 90$ Harbor freight air over hydrolic ram, chunk of horse stall mat and your in business. Great fun!! I cast aluminum dies for mine but I also found for a few items a piece of press board works as long as you place a stiff piece of metal between it and the ram. Good pictures Mike!

some great metal working books here cheap https://www.youroldtimebookstore.com

The original question ask what will all of this weigh, I knew I had weighed my new univair fuselage but for the life of me I couldn't find where I put the note. Found it today on my bulletin board-who would have thought to look there, comparing the weight of my new fuselage to the old it was 12# heavier-using a certified bathroom scale. Mods include: gross weight increase, weld on float fittings, overhead 'X' brace, pa-14 cathedral; 1" seaplane tube on left side; rear fuselage square bracing. that was before paint
IMG_2789.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2789.JPG
    IMG_2789.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 324
Back