• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 Flap Speeds

Shootingfish

Vancouver, WA
We recently bought N3484M and finally have it in our possession though the the Airspeed indicator was never modded and we are unsure of the Vfe Speed. Mainair 1000M flap installation.

Any insights from the rest of you?

Thanks!

CW

Image1670757891.738032.jpg This is my airspeed with the markings from the STC that I bought from Atlee Dodge 34 years ago. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• Image1670757891.738032.jpg
    Image1670757891.738032.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 142
Look on your STC paperwork. If it’s the flap install that is on the Type Certificate ( Maine Flying Service…..??.can’t remember exactly) then you will need to look at the TC. The above pictured AS indicator looks correct.

Marden was on the TCDS. If you want the best guestimate for flap speed look at a PA14 and use that.

I think I used 70mph. Not that it mattered, there’s no reason to use flaps until slower than that.

Thanks everyone… we were assuming that it would have been the same as the PA-14 but just wanted to make sure.

We will stripe the airspeed indicator for now and then possible pull it out at annual and have it refaced.

CW

Throttle reduction from cruise to get 80mph IAS then first notch. Further throttle reductions and adding 2nd notch then full flaps. With a short-mount -12 your never have to touch the elevator trim. Feels just right in trim with 40mph IAS but will go under 40mph for landing squat or doing no altitude loss power off stall. White arc goes 40-80. I think my STC says first notch can go on at 90mph but that's 75% power cruise!

Last edited:
The flaps on my -12 are the Crosswinds STC, using -18 flaps. So I set the top of my white arc at 85 per the -18 TCDS. No issues pulling half flaps at 85. I kept the original two notches, which for me works just fine. Agree with Scooter re trim.

Last edited:
The man asks for info on Vfe airspeed markings and people chime in on how to fly the airplane. Gotta love supercub.org…

It's like sitting at a big table over coffee...by the time the comments get back to you the topic has changed. Old people wander.

Gary

We recently bought N3484M and finally have it in our possession though the the Airspeed indicator was never modded and we are unsure of the Vfe Speed. Mainair 1000M flap installation.

Any insights from the rest of you?

Thanks!

CW

Look on your STC paperwork. If it’s the flap install that is on the Type Certificate ( Maine Flying Service…..??.can’t remember exactly) then you will need to look at the TC. The above pictured AS indicator looks correct.

Marden was on the TCDS. If you want the best guestimate for flap speed look at a PA14 and use that.

I think I used 70mph. Not that it mattered, there’s no reason to use flaps until slower than that.

The flaps on my -12 are the Crosswinds STC, using -18 flaps. So I set the top of my white arc at 85 per the -18 TCDS. No issues pulling half flaps at 85. I kept the original two notches, which for me works just fine. Agree with Scooter re trim.
Since these flaps are a modification to the original flapless PA-12, there should be a paperwork limitation with the approval papers. This flap conversion was done by Marden Airways, Waterville Maine in the late 1940s and it is listed on the PA-12 Type Certificate. The only documentation on the TC is to install them in accordance with the Marden drawing. That drawing should have the numbers in question. To speculate what the number ought to be is a fallacy. There is one FAA approved number .... what is it? There was extensive discussion on these flaps a few months ago and Colorguns was going to see that SJ got copies of the drawings to post for the members here to view. Where are they?

PA-14 flap speed is 85 mph.

I think these comments are interesting. I don’t use flaps in any airplane until I’m at pattern speed and abeam the touchdown spot. Whatever my downwind speed is? That’s my first notch speed. In my Cub that’s 50 mph. The 180 is 90 mph. The top of the arc isn’t important to me.

I want to thank everyone for the info and operational tips.

This aircraft sadly lost logbooks from new to 1974 short of a few items… the STC paperwork for the flaps is one thing that is missing but an approval letter from the FAA for the installation is in my possession.

They were done in 1962 by Kenmore Air in Seattle as was the short mount 320 conversion. Where I have not have had a chance to fly the plane yet, my spouse has and all comments about handling trim configurations are spot on.

Again, I appreciate the group and all of the support.

CW

Back