• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-11 battery location?

scot

FRIEND
Thinking of adding an Earth X battery (STC will be approved this summer, in theory) to my PA-11. Trying to plan everything out beforehand. Does anyone know where the original battery was located- I thought I read NAV lights were a factory option, powered by a battery?

Thank you for any insight.

I think the original PA 11 was non-electric?
Yes, that is correct. However, there was a factory option for NAV lights. I don’t know if they were powered by a wind driven generator, or a battery. If a battery I’m curious as to the original position the factory placed it. I can’t find any manuals that reference this….

any information is appreciated.

Yes, that is correct. However, there was a factory option for NAV lights. I don’t know if they were powered by a wind driven generator, or a battery. If a battery I’m curious as to the original position the factory placed it. I can’t find any manuals that reference this….

any information is appreciated.
I've been around Pa11 for over 30+ years. My neighbor has owned 4 over the last 60 years and 3 others owners close by. Never heard of nav lights as an option. Maybe aftermarket?
My friend Stu mounted his EarthX to the back of the firewall just above the heater outlet.

Glenn

I've been around Pa11 for over 30+ years. My neighbor has owned 4 over the last 60 years and 3 others owners close by. Never heard of nav lights as an option. Maybe aftermarket?
My friend Stu mounted his EarthX to the back of the firewall just above the heater outlet.

Glenn
Thank you for the info. I certainly could be mistaken as to the factory option. I like the idea of the firewall; nice to know it’s been done.

scot

Check out TCDS A-691; Electrical equipment on page 16. Shows battery weights, locations vs datum @ wing LE, wind driven starter, and landing lights. The PA-11 was certified landplane only with a O-235-C, Item 311 D. (6). Except for the landing lights. Maybe there was the need for a battery and starter. Battery location should be located to optimize the loaded CG.

Gary

Look in the parts catalog, mine shows the battery mounted between the front rudder pedals. I did a cg check and installed a Hawker SBS-J16 battery under the back seat on a Clipped Winged Cub.

One of the best things I've done with my RANS S-7 is ditch the Oddysey battery (good battery, just heavy) which was mounted clear back behind the baggage compartment, with long heavy cabling) and put my EarthX right on the floorboards up against the firewall, between my rudder pedals. Now I have a 12" cable going to my starter, I also went to a mechanical master switch, located right near it, again very short cabling, and saved almost 13 pounds all told, plus faster cranking. I made a cardboard mockup first, to see if it'd be in the way, went flying, and an hour later, having forgotten the purpose of the flight, just having fun, I realized it was not remotely in the way. No battery box requried either, just a couple light brackets. Then I filled a 1" aluminum tube with lead, and rigged a way, using a single pip pin, to position it back my tail spring, for all my local/baggage free flying. Carrying gear or a passenger, the weight removes in a couple seconds, the CG remains happy.

i “Installed” (temporary) a small battery in my 11 to power the handheld radio and intercom. It was placed in a bracket, attached to the floor, under my right leg, just fwd of brake cylinder. I had no means to charge it, so mounted there, it was easy to remove for charging, or to connect to charger.
if you are also installing a charging device, another location may be better.

in a Husky I worked, I mounted a telemetry receiver in that location and it worked fine, and was never in the way, but easily accessable.

MTV

Looking at the moments of the four approved batteries on the TCDS, the moment arm for three of them (-19) indicates the vicinity of the firewall and one with a moment of +41 (under the rear seat).

I know that the J-3, and probably the PA-11, were offered with the option of navigation lights. In that case, the J-3 was delivered with a 6 volt battery.

Several years ago, I considered a job flying out of the Washington, D.C. metro area. Had I taken the job, I considered installing a light weight battery to power the required transponder and [then] altitude encoder required to operate in that area. I was already using a portable comm radio with an external antenna, but if I had to install the transponder I would likely have added an installed comm radio. In the end, I didn't take that job and the PA-11 is still equipped with just the portable comm.

Back