• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

https://www.globalair.com/articles/crop-dusters-collide-in-idaho-killing-1?id=7591

This sad event reminded me of last summer, when I got a text from a neighbor, telling me there was crop dusting going on on the ag fields adjacent to my place. It was a timely text, as I was 15 minutes out from landing my strip, and the Air Tractor passes were at some point 40 or 50' above my "runway" and 150' away from the hangar, which was no problem of course once I had eyeballs on him. It did occur to me though, that I never check for other traffic while on short final, as there never is any. I came in between his passes, and then got the lawn chair out and watched the show, I'd like to think he knew my strip is on the charts and was keeping an eye out.

The closest I ever came to a mid-air was when pulling a 450 Stearman up out of a 9 acre tobacco patch I thought I had all to myself and finding a windshield full of pipeline patrol helicopter. That was sporty.

Two Air Tractors collided west of Lubbock a few weeks ago as well. A friend and I were headed north a few weeks ago and saw a bogie on the ADS-b at our altitude (on the deck) just ahead. Started looking and we could see the passes 90 degrees to our flight path. Kept an eye on him and we could smell the chemical. Probably should have climbed.

He certainly earned civic enforcement and correction.... but it sure seems a bit overly aggressive on his punishment when compared to the ruling elite...

Somewhat of an explanation of a previous accident at Wolf Lake, AK.
The sad part is that aircraft used to be maintained by me for previous owners. Had a lot of history in this area. Sad to see it get destroyed by that idiot who bought it.

--Brian

Last edited:
This is a scary one to watch, and I’m not sure how that guy had the gumption to continue, and then fly back, after nearly dieing.

Here’s the story as seen by a hiker.

And this is the plane that “Appears” to be the chosen one. This info is not verified in any way but the track is similar. N65440, 7/4/24, 9:27 am, Denver to Rifle.
The guy that posted it originally, admitted it was a fake done with a flight sim and that he didn't think it would go viral.

Well $hit. I got sucked in on that one then.
I did too. Buddy had posted it on his page, but I guess he knew the OP and the OP sent him a text about it and then he posted the screen shot of it confirming it was fake. I thought the guy was the luckiest pilot ever for a bit till I saw it was a fake. Unless the guy I know faked the fake about the supposed fake.. But he is a pretty standup guy and I don't think he would fake a fake about a fake.

This part of the modern world sucks! Who knows what’s real or not anymore. The harder someone tries to convince me something is real, the more I think it’s real fake. I’m not sure how you go without a smartphone these days but there’s something to be said for simpler times…..

But is it fake or is it art? :p

Fakes are usually pretty easy to spot if you take a second. Look at the lack of any appropriate shadowing on the plane and the harsh contrast between the plane and background, also, plane and background are at completely different resolutions - background is fuzzier, plane is clear... cameras don't work that way...

1720697369355.png

A bit of expectation bias too. I probably wanted it to be true that someone “survived” by the skin of their teeth. Also it seemed to correlate with a flight path from a flight school.

Yet every network is still carrying the story as true….. aviation “experts” posting you tube videos with analysis… what’s the story with all that?

Lost a Fireboss today. Sounds like something about scooping. :(

HELENA, Mont., July 11, 2024, – Wildland firefighting pilot Juliana Turchetti was killed in a single engine water scooper crash while assigned to the Horse Gulch Fire on the Helena Lewis and Clark National Forest. The crash occurred at approximately 12:10 p.m., Wednesday, July 10, on Hauser Reservoir near Spokane Bay.

“It is with a heavy heart that I share that Juliana Turchetti, a wildland firefighting pilot, died in a plane crash while supporting fire suppression efforts on the Horse Gulch Fire,” said Helena Lewis and Clark Forest Supervisor Emily Platt. “Our deepest condolences go out to Juliana’s family, friends, colleagues, and the firefighting and aviation communities. I ask that you keep them in your thoughts and prayers during this time of sorrow.”

Turchetti was flying a Fire Boss Air Tractor 802 (AT-802) under contract by the Idaho Department of Lands (IDL) on loan to the fire in support of the Forest Service suppression efforts.

“Our hearts and prayers go out to the family, friends and colleagues of Juliana. The IDL firefighting and aviation community has been hit hard by this tragedy,” said IDL Director Dustin Miller. “Wildland firefighters, by air and by ground step up to do this dangerous work to protect our communities and lands. Juliana has given the ultimate sacrifice. Our hearts are heavy and she will not be forgotten.”

The National Transportation Safety Board is leading the investigation into the crash with the full support and cooperation of the Federal Aviation Administration, the U.S. Forest Service, and the Lewis and Clark County Sheriff’s Office.

Investigators arrived on scene Wednesday afternoon to begin the investigation. The plane will be removed from the site and further examined at a secure location.

It's been a tough summer in Idaho.
Dang. I hadn't seen the video. I think something failed there at the bottom. He was such a nice man, and his wife Elena (sp?). He was experienced at aerobatics. I flew with him so he could add on a seaplane rating. They had a house/cabin at Delta Shores by lake Pend Oreille near Sandpoint. Again, among the nicest, most hospitable people I have ever met. This summer's been tough so far.

I did too. Buddy had posted it on his page, but I guess he knew the OP and the OP sent him a text about it and then he posted the screen shot of it confirming it was fake. I thought the guy was the luckiest pilot ever for a bit till I saw it was a fake. Unless the guy I know faked the fake about the supposed fake.. But he is a pretty standup guy and I don't think he would fake a fake about a fake.
Wonder how they faked the adsb data?

Dang. I hadn't seen the video. I think something failed there at the bottom. He was such a nice man, and his wife Elena (sp?). He was experienced at aerobatics. I flew with him so he could add on a seaplane rating. They had a house/cabin at Delta Shores by lake Pend Oreille near Sandpoint. Again, among the nicest, most hospitable people I have ever met. This summer's been tough so far.
It appears to be a flat spin which was stopped too low for full recovery.

Back